Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Honda EU2000i, running in cold weather
<< . 1 . 2 .
rayyy
# Posted: 12 Jan 2016 17:13

My little Honda (EU2000I) did just fine during that 35 below zero(F) stretch last winter.I use Honda 10w30 oil changed about every 100 hours and medium grade gas.She is 3 years old now and has about 3000 hours a year times 3 on her now and is purreing along just beautifully right now.(Best investment I ever made).

AK Seabee
# Posted: 12 Jan 2016 18:07

I have routinely operated my Honda in -25F but never before warming it up. Extreme cold is hard on just about everything. Things break period, it doesnt matter what they are, they break.

I store the genny in the cabin and fire it up outside. I bring her back in shortly after shutting her down. Not always but always when it's cold. I warm the chainsaw before using her and the snow blower (you get the picture).

I use a torpedo heater to warm my truck prior to starting after sitting idle in cold temps (no electricity where I park to go to the cabin).

The cold has an impact. Those of us living in colder climates know this and routinely take precautions. Those of us that live in warmer climates may not.
Remember, just because it will start in extreme cold doesnt mean we should start our equipment without pre warming it.

NorthRick
# Posted: 12 Jan 2016 19:50

-20F to -25F seems to be the magic spot where stuff starts to just break because it is too cold. Ours being a recreational cabin, means we don't have to go up if it is going to be cold. Our cutoff is about -10F or so. However, when the weather guesser says "low of -15" and you go up only to see the temp drop to -28, well, you just deal with it.

Our Honda can be pretty cranky if I try and start her stone cold below about 0F. I usually do what AK Seabee does and keep it inside the cabin until its needed.

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.