Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / All I want for Christmas is a pellet stove
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 .
Shadyacres
# Posted: 21 Dec 2016 15:35

Do you get a lot of smoke coming out of woodstove? It doesn't take long for pipes to clog when burning wet wood. Also need to leave damper open some till you get a good bed of coals.

groingo
# Posted: 21 Dec 2016 15:59

Well, what LP setup did you get....come on.....spill the beans......regardless it will be a good investment that you will undoubtedly be able to use in some way in the upcoming place....good move....it sucks being miserable any time.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 21 Dec 2016 16:43

I'm beginning to wonder if it is creosote from the wet wood, shadyacres. There's not a lit of smoke, just some white smoke. But now I can't even get kindling to burn.

Groingo, It's not really an LP setup. Just one of those cabinet heaters.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 21 Dec 2016 16:44

I'm beginning to wonder if it is creosote from the wet wood, shadyacres. There's not a lit of smoke, just some white smoke. But now I can't even get kindling to burn.

Groingo, It's not really an LP setup. Just one of those cabinet heaters.

Shadyacres
# Posted: 21 Dec 2016 17:01

Do you have small kindling wood to get the fire going? I would check when you start up to make sure you have a good amount of smoke coming out the chimney. Sometimes those top units can get clogged fairly quickly depending on what amount of moisture is in your wood. How fast do you close the damper control and how much. I assume you have one. I would leave it open fairly wide till you get a good fire and bed of coals. I wouldn't leave it far open though if you are not going to be there. I would come check it for you but it would be quite a drive from PA.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 21 Dec 2016 17:17

Yes, I use sticks and sometimes pine cones. My friend is great with wood stoves/fires and taught me how to use tge damper and such. I was doing well recently. Until the overnight/today.

bldginsp
# Posted: 21 Dec 2016 18:33 - Edited by: bldginsp

Sounds like a drafting problem.

When the fire goes out in 1/2 hour when it's cold, does it leave behind unburned wood?

SE Ohio
# Posted: 21 Dec 2016 19:51

A nice wood stove add-on if you are concerned about creosote build-up:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/rutland-magnetic-stove-thermometer?cm_mmc%3D SEM-_-Google-_-DynamicAdGroups-_-AllSiteTSCCirc1621&gclid=CKLfuuXJhtECFcO1wAod0lwC2w
Keep the fire in the "burn zone" by feeding it smaller wood pieces, only putting on large logs when you cannot tend the fire for a while (e.g. overnight).

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 21 Dec 2016 22:41

bldginsp
Yes, sometimes. Always if the wood was big and not cut quite small.

MtnDon
# Posted: 21 Dec 2016 22:44

Sounds like very damp wood. And, as mentioned that could cause chimney build up issues. I would get the chimney checked ASAP. If there is a screen in the cap I'll bet it is clogged.

paulz
# Posted: 21 Dec 2016 22:50

I keep a cup full of popsicle sticks from the dollar store by the stove. Good fire starters if you're low on paper or twigs and don't take up any room.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 21 Dec 2016 23:19

That's a good idea, paulz!

MtnDon, I've ceased even attempting to fire up the stove. I'm using my elec. space heater and Buddy heater intermittently now.

The scary part I didn't mention is I'm dealing with some hupothermia because of the stove quitting in the middle of the night and my heart isn't doing so well. I don't think it's a 911 call tonight but I am going to get checked out at the hospital tomorrow. My lower legs are really swollen.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 21 Dec 2016 23:43 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Quoting: Julie2Oregon
The scary part I didn't mention is I'm dealing with some hupothermia because of the stove quitting in the middle of the night and my heart isn't doing so well

Julie, email me a close mailing address where UPS, FedEx or USPS can deliver (will the local coffee shop or store allow this?) . I am going to send you some fire starters. I know you have my email address. If not, you can use my user name in here exactly as it is and its at yahoo.com will work also.

These are sawdust balls held together with wax. I have a bunch at my cabin and they work wonders.

I'm headed to amazon now to get them in the cart.

I think your fellow cabineers are getting worried. Colder months are ahead.

I am an Amazon prime member and we can have them to you in a few days. Those buddy heaters work great. Just have some ventilation. I have used those for years.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 22 Dec 2016 05:55

toyota_mdt_tech
I think I may stay at my friend Chris' place until we get this sorted. His grandfather passed away and left a small cabin, acreage, and a fifth wheel that his granddad used as a hunting cabin for another property, which he has offered me to stay in. Rather than bring it to my place, I could just stay there where there's electricity. It's only a few miles away.

I've been WAY overdoing it, and now we're in the single digits at night. Another winter storm on the way, too. I really don't want to end up hospitalized. He has cancer, so he gets it. We're both ill and trying to get settled at the worst time.

Thanks for the fire starters offer! I'm done with wood heat for now, though. I know the ones you described -- I tried them. Freddy's has a nice little, oscillating ceramic heater on sale and I'm going to pick one up after the medical visit. It has a thermostat and will do better using less power than my current space heater.

I'm pretty stubborn and tenacious but I'm not a fool. The wood stove fail is major, especially with my diseases.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 22 Dec 2016 09:01 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Julie, you'd of done fine if you hadn't gotten such a late start is all. I know permits, builder coordinating, things just got too late of a start and at your elevation, winter comes in fast and hangs or some time.

OK, sounds like all will be well. A few miles away, you can still work on the place during the days. Be comfortable at night, refreshed in the AM.

Keep us updated.

Gary O
# Posted: 22 Dec 2016 09:02

Quoting: Julie2Oregon
I think I may stay at my friend Chris' place until we get this sorted

A wise choice, J2O
Old man winter just got here
Gonna be around a long while

You done a lot….a LOT
Should feel good about that
And in regard to feeling good….GIT WARM!
Come late spring, things will be more approachable.

We have a trip to town planned for next week, and was gonna swing by if roads permitted.
But, if you are gonna go to yer friend’s place, maybe we’ll hold off til spring.

Please email anytime, and keep posting (these folks git worried)

hattie
# Posted: 22 Dec 2016 12:30

Good luck Julie....Keep warm...

naturelover66
# Posted: 22 Dec 2016 15:33

Hey Julie... I hope you feel better. Its just a little bump in the road... .. You will be okay.
Happy Holidays ..please keep us posted.

Lisa.

groingo
# Posted: 22 Dec 2016 17:42

JTO
I am a avid believer that things happen for a reason and also that adversity builds character....learn what you can from this and apply it to the betterment your future!

When you get set up break out that bottle of warmed rum.....you've earned it!

MtnDon
# Posted: 22 Dec 2016 19:37

Quoting: groingo
... things happen for a reason and also that adversity builds character....learn what you can from this.... .

Sorry, but I believe the innocents in Aleppo would have trouble believing in that.

However, I do wish J2O good health and good fortune.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 23 Dec 2016 01:10

toyota_mdt_tech That's exactly the plan. Stay warm and safe at my friends' place and on good days work on the shabin and property.

Thanks, all, for the kind words and encouragement.

Was at the hospital the better part of the day. Not because the folks were inefficient or anything. No heart attack or blood clot, thank goodness, but a few of the cardiac blood tests came back a bit elevated. So I got some meds to get rid of the fluid buildup and such and they want me to be seen again in a week.

My diseases are chronic and rear up at times beyond the usual. I just have to keep on top of things.

bldginsp
# Posted: 23 Dec 2016 12:27

Stay warm and healthy Julie

Happy Holidays

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 23 Dec 2016 16:41

Thanks, bldginsp! You, too!

I stayed home in my shabin because I was just too tired to pack things to go to my friends' place. You know, it's warm and nice with just the little ceramic heater helping out and the portable Buddy going on low.

The wood thing is a fail for me on a couple of levels. Too much work, costly, erratic as a sole source of heat. This, however, works. And with propane at just $1.45/gallon now, it's easy, comfortable, AND affordable.

Just
# Posted: 23 Dec 2016 17:12

Julie hang your sock up over the buddy heater and we will all fill it with our best wishes and a marry Christmas.
Good Work just

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 24 Dec 2016 00:32

Just
Thanks! The happiest of Christmases to you and yours!

littlesalmon4
# Posted: 24 Dec 2016 08:58

You need to have your chimney cleaned. Number 1 source for no draft is a clogged chimney. Because this is a new installation and a lack of user knowledge nobody could guess how often this would need to be done. With questionable wood it may need cleaning every 2 weeks, most definately monthly

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.