Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / General Solar Questions
<< 1 ... 9 . 10 . 11 .
gcrank1
# Posted: 6 Apr 2021 10:03

It charges that high for bulk, like after a night of draw-down from whatever you have running and no charging. Same as your car, start it up and the voltmeter goes to 14.6ish to replenish the heavy starter draw, then settles.
Once your solar switches to absorb it lowers and when into float even lower, like what you see at 13ish. Give it a heavy load/draw-down and you should see the meter peak toward or to your preset 14.6.
Is this LFP? If so, from what Im seeing Id tune that peak back to 14.4, abs to 13.2?, no equalize and no float.

paulz
# Posted: 6 Apr 2021 10:44

Yes, LFP. I had to program the new CC (Epever Tracer BN) as there is no setting for LFP like the old Renogy I had that died. I used the parameters that Battle Born lists for LFP and the Epever.

https://battlebornbatteries.com/setting-up-the-epever-solar-controller/

Over Voltage Disconnect 14.7 V

Charging Limit Voltage 14.6 V

Over Voltage Reconnect 14.6 V

Equalize Charging Voltage shut off or 14.4 V

Boost Charging Voltage 14.6 V

Float Charging Voltage 13.6 V

Boost Reconnect 13.3 V

Low Voltage Reconnect 10

Under Voltage Warning Reconnect Voltage 11.5

Under Voltage Warning 11.5

Low Voltage Disconnect 11.0

Discharging Limit Voltage 10.5

Equalize Duration 0 or set as low as possible

Boost Duration 180 minutes

gcrank1
# Posted: 6 Apr 2021 12:40

Iirc you are in the right zone, though I think over on Diysolarforum some have said not to go for 100% @ the 14.6 but kick that back to 14.4 (95%?) which will be better for bat health/life?
Anyway, Im inclined to go conservative on most things.
Just remember, a 'fully charged battery' wont show it is taking much, or any, amps in on the readout. That throws some off thinking their system isnt working when in fact it is because everything is charged up.

paulz
# Posted: 6 Apr 2021 16:04 - Edited by: paulz

Yeah I think you're probably right on kicking down the max charge. Like I said though, I have not seen it go that high recently. I think when it did was before I put those 6 more panels on the roof and the batteries were getting drained more than they do now. Even after all day cabin use now it doesn't go over about 13.6 so the 14.6 max is not coming into play from what I have seen.

I have 18 260 watt panels going now, but usually no more that a half dozen getting sun. Works great so far but if they were to magically all get sun at the same time it'd probably blow the cabin into orbit!

<< 1 ... 9 . 10 . 11 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.