Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Any electricians willing to help me remotely?
<< . 1 . 2 .
ICC
# Posted: 19 Sep 2020 21:23

WILL1E, I have not followed this thread closely but a question popped into my mind. Here in NM we can do our own electrical but for things that require inspection we must also take a homeowners test on basic electrical systems. Is that a necessity where you are?

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 19 Sep 2020 23:56

ICC, I was hoping you would chime in and give us a hand.

Interesting the basic test, the rule where i am at is anyone can do it as long as its a licensed contractor or the homeowner.

WILL1E
# Posted: 21 Sep 2020 07:52

@ICC...No we do not have that.

Well i think i got everything wired up and done this weekend. I'll post the photos here to see if anyone wants to chime in on anything they see that may be incorrect.
IMG_3215.JPG
IMG_3215.JPG
IMG_3216.JPG
IMG_3216.JPG
IMG_3217.JPG
IMG_3217.JPG
IMG_3218.JPG
IMG_3218.JPG

WILL1E
# Posted: 21 Sep 2020 07:52

More photos
IMG_3219.JPG
IMG_3219.JPG
IMG_3220.JPG
IMG_3220.JPG
IMG_3221.JPG
IMG_3221.JPG
IMG_3222.JPG
IMG_3222.JPG

WILL1E
# Posted: 21 Sep 2020 07:54

And more
IMG_3223.JPG
IMG_3223.JPG
IMG_3224.JPG
IMG_3224.JPG
IMG_3225.JPG
IMG_3225.JPG
IMG_3227.JPG
IMG_3227.JPG

WILL1E
# Posted: 21 Sep 2020 07:54

And the last of them..
IMG_3228.JPG
IMG_3228.JPG
IMG_3229.JPG
IMG_3229.JPG
IMG_3230.JPG
IMG_3230.JPG

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 21 Sep 2020 23:32

OK, I see 3 items, the wires are skinned back too far on the large 220V plug, too much bare wire showing.

The 125A main, which is a breaker on the input, they require this to be anchored down. Usually there is a single screw in the middle of the breaker. Hole already in place, you dont drill.

See this

And the ground wire is multi strand, they do not allow you to use that in my area, might be OK for your area, but here, they want the solid copper wire.

No anti oxidants on the wire ends??? Noalox by Ideal.

WILL1E
# Posted: 22 Sep 2020 08:02

@toyota_mdt_tech
The wire for that 50amp plug was stripped to match the strip gauge shown on the plug.

For the 125 main, it came installed and secured down. If you look at IMG_3223 you will see that shiny metal bracket right in the middle of the breakers which is holding the 125 down and it's secured in place with one of those 1 way rings/clips.

Is there a website i can look at for local requirements such as the ground wire type?

Do i need anti oxidants for copper? I thought that was only required for aluminum.

Brettny
# Posted: 22 Sep 2020 08:07

That ground wire would pass here. They may only state the gauge you need to use.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 22 Sep 2020 08:13 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Will1E, I would of used the anti oxidants anyway. Anytime you have dissimilar metals. Its probably OK, I dont think that would fail you. I suspect the lugs are plated copper, so probably OK, good to see main anchored down.

We used to be able to get away with the stranded ground, no more. Not sure when it changed, but they used that stranded stuff for years.

I see all bushings in place. . They are all over that.

OK, I saw that shiny thing, wasnt sure what it was. Its an anchor for main.

Maybe go for it, they will either OK it or not and they will let you know all areas that need attention.

WILL1E
# Posted: 22 Sep 2020 12:23

Ill be sure to use that stuff in the future. Was trying avoid investing in more stuff when i barely need any of it. That's why i think this ended up costing more than it needed to because i had zero leftovers to pull from.

I had so many trips to the store and so many bags and parts in the garage i think my wife was starting to question what i was doing out there!!

Fingers crossed the inspector gives me the green light. As i said before or in other post, she seems pretty easy going. So i would be surprised if, A, she even comes out to look at the post or B, if she even opens up the panels/outlets.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 22 Sep 2020 20:17

OK WILL1E, keep us posted on the results.
Be interesting to see how we did.

WILL1E
# Posted: 23 Sep 2020 07:35

Right, it's like a group project back in the school days!!

Stay tuned!

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 29 Sep 2020 08:37

Hey, just noticed that bonding screw in the bag, this is the first/primary panel, it needs to be installed.

Did we get signed off yet???

WILL1E
# Posted: 30 Sep 2020 10:59

I installed it at the land after i put the post in the ground...almost forgot.

Inspector isn't even going onsite, she just asked me to send her a few pictures of the meter base open and the panel open. Just waiting to hear back...

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 30 Sep 2020 15:40

Quoting: WILL1E
I installed it at the land after i put the post in the ground...almost forgot.Inspector isn't even going onsite, she just asked me to send her a few pictures of the meter base open and the panel open. Just waiting to hear back...

Must be a COVID thing. Either way, it works. Let us know. I'm anxious to see how we/you did.

WILL1E
# Posted: 1 Oct 2020 07:59

Well fellas....we got a green light from Mrs.Inspector!!!!

Thanks for everyones help! I'll be sure to let ya'll know when it's finally hooked to the grid and we're using it.

Thanks again!!

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.