Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / Critters Like Our Cabin Too
. 1 . 2 . >>
gcrank1
# Posted: 14 Sep 2023 20:10

1st it was mice, traditional traps and poison got them under control.
At the same time, but lasting longer was what turned out to be a nest of Red (Pine) Squirrels in the ceiling resulting in 2+ years of serious eradication.
Now we open the door and have the Very Distinct 'musky' smell that seems to me like fox; not quite as rank as skunk.....from under the floor. Not a 'crawl space', too tight, but certainly enough for critter den.
Found the access hole, need to set up the trail cam to really identify the culprit. We are pretty sure we saw a Wolverine last fall. Dont want to end up tangling with one of those!

Brettny
# Posted: 14 Sep 2023 20:14

Is the cabin skirted?

ICC
# Posted: 14 Sep 2023 21:03 - Edited by: ICC

I have used recommendations from the National Park Service Rodent Exclusion Manual for decades and have had no rodent or other animal problems at the new or old home, nor the cabins. {Knock wood, for my superstitious side} The manual is a PDF and a free 4 MB download from the NPS. The original came out a long time ago. Here's the link to the most recent, 2014 edition.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.nps.gov /orgs/1103/upload/NPS-Rodent-Exclusion-Manual-Mechanical-Rodent-Proofing-Techniques_2 019_508.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiSpP6ysauBAxXGJEQIHRrXA5cQFnoECB0QAQ&usg=AOvVaw12WV6GjcJE2b-3- uTb0sPy

If that fails do a search for 'National Park Service Rodent Exclusion Manual'

The CDC also some info. https://www.cdc.gov/healthypets/pets/wildlife/rodent-control.html

Good luck.

I do full skirts, metal with venting on cabins.

gcrank1
# Posted: 15 Sep 2023 00:17

Thanx ICC, I'll give it a good look.
No skirting, Brett.
Owner/builder made a glorified pole building with sawmill rough lumber. When the pole, etc framing was up he 'housewrapped' with what looks like wide rolled black woven 'landscape fabric', that draped down to ground and outward. Anything that wants to can scratch/gnaw a hole through to get under.
Im a realist, its a shack; but we call it our cabin

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 15 Sep 2023 11:28

We have been fortunate to not have any issues. Sealed up tight. Also put 12" metal flashing around the support posts to keep bugs n critters out. I suspect that the main reason may be either the spruce hens that are usually there eating gritt n dusting. And attacking any rodents. Last week when I was there I found it unusual that the hens weren't around. And saw an ermine come watch while I made firewood. I'd rather have the birds. Don't need that thing in the cabin.
Hey g your cabin sounds like most. A great place to hang out and it's a cabin. Take it for what it is. A memory maker for me

hattie
# Posted: 16 Sep 2023 00:17

Pack rat. They really stink.

Nobadays
# Posted: 16 Sep 2023 10:52

Quoting: hattie
Pack rat. They really stink.

Hate those things! Had one building a nest this year in the little triangle made from the main cabin roof overhang onto the back deck roof. He was elusive. Thought we had gotten rid of him by feeding him Tomcat, 6 blocks put right in that space (I know many frown on using poison... your choice/my choice) but he came back. Finally he was up there during the day. Took the 22 pistol up the ladder and shot him. The hardest part was trying to get him out of there! We did, good riddance!

gcrank1
# Posted: 16 Sep 2023 18:17

Never have heard of Pack Rats in sc WI

Brettny
# Posted: 16 Sep 2023 20:06

The mice and prob squirls are so bad at my place that any plastic that they used soy based mould release they chew. Extension cords, Mc4 connectors, wire, the nut on my propane regulator and a few feet of string lights. They also live in everything, my camper, my shed cabin and actual shed.

I use poison in the fall and that helps some. I'm switching from tomcat blocks this fall. I really saw a drop in mice activity when I first started useing the tomcat poison. I also have to put a concrete block on my poison bait stations so the raccoons dont drag them all over.

I have also tried a Adirondack/wheel style bucket trap and they work well too and always use one every fall with antifreeze.

I really tried to seal up my shed/cabin and they stayed out for about 2yrs but they found me.

hattie
# Posted: 17 Sep 2023 00:49 - Edited by: hattie

Quoting: Nobadays
Hate those things! Had one building a nest this year in the little triangle made from the main cabin roof overhang onto the back deck roof. He was elusive. Thought we had gotten rid of him by feeding him Tomcat, 6 blocks put right in that space (I know many frown on using poison... your choice/my choice) but he came back. Finally he was up there during the day. Took the 22 pistol up the ladder and shot him. The hardest part was trying to get him out of there! We did, good riddance!

Yup...they are nasty things. An organization I am part of looks after an old prospector's cabin out in the bush. Pack rats have invaded the cellar. I used to go down there and shoot them with a small pump airgun my husband built for me. It had a laser on it to help with the short range. I killed a few but got sick every time I went down there (even with an N-95 mask on). I don't go down anymore. They can carry hantavirus which can be deadly. I don't use poison because of the owls in the area and I don't want an owl to eat a dead pack rat that ate poison.

gcrank1
# Posted: 17 Sep 2023 08:49

Gas 'em?

ICC
# Posted: 17 Sep 2023 16:00

We used tractor engine exhaust to gas some of them many years ago. We used an exhaust hose like what is used to vent exhaust outside of a workshop. We'd run hose to the visible burrow entrance. Sometimes that would reveal other access points. That was the "old days" when tractors had manual chokes that allowed us to richen up the mixture and make more CO. We still have a couple like that.

We do not use poisons that remain in the body after killing the pest as it can get eaten and then can kill again. It might be your dog or cats being secondary victims.

DaveBell
# Posted: 17 Sep 2023 16:35

Quoting: hattie
I killed a few but got sick every time I went down there (even with an N-95 mask on).

Old Spice cologne on the upper lip. Works for changing baby diapers also.

gcrank1
# Posted: 17 Sep 2023 21:51

Is there anything like an anti-odor 'bomb' to attack the stink in the cabin?

ICC
# Posted: 17 Sep 2023 22:44 - Edited by: ICC

I believe the stink is from them urinating all over all the stuff they collect, marking it as theirs. To claim ownership of their treasures, woodrats pee
on everything. The urine crystalizes and cements
things in place. These "treasure troves" are called middens. Their actual nest homes, are cleaner.

gcrank1
# Posted: 18 Sep 2023 00:09

Critter is/was? under the floor so probably more rank down there but the small has permeated upward .
I think it is lessening though my wife is skeptical....
I thought about turning on a heavy bass & drums radio station to share with the critter.

hattie
# Posted: 18 Sep 2023 00:53

Quoting: gcrank1
I thought about turning on a heavy bass & drums radio station to share with the critter.

Strobe lights are supposed to work, although I have never tried them.

Brettny
# Posted: 18 Sep 2023 08:42

If the area is enclosed you can use a Ozone generator to remove odors and kill anything living.

I would really start by cleaning out under the cabin and even useing a leaf blower to get any organics removed.

gcrank1
# Posted: 18 Sep 2023 20:10 - Edited by: gcrank1

Went today, pulled the sheeting off the 'wish it was a crawl space' south side and part of the north to get some air flow and a look see.
Funny thing, no stink under there Idk whats goin on here.....
Left it open to breathe anyway.
At least I know the beams and floor joists look decently done.
The smell inside has dissipated a lot, an ozone gen is a great idea if/when I need to do more than ventilate.
I'll have to ask around for one or see if they rent em anywhere.

ICC
# Posted: 18 Sep 2023 20:34

Be aware that while an ozone generator can rid an area of odors the ozone can also deteriorate rubber and plastics as well as cells in your lungs.

We've used them for removing tobacco smoke odors from rentals. Because of the inherent danger if misused it might be surprising to find them available for rent. I built a couple using high AC voltage neon light transformers and a glass plate separating two squares of metal window screen. And a fan. There used to be sellers on ebay selling parts.

zorro
# Posted: 19 Sep 2023 10:26

Like Brettny, I had a mice free period................but now they are back

I am sure they are getting in under the cabin somewhere but cant find the spot

Has anyone tried 1/4" Hardwear Cloth and tried blocking off whole areas

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B098LQNL43/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_5?smid=A3BGCZRMDFL SS&th=1

Looking at that just now and will try running it under the cabin in areas I think they are getting in

Any views?

gcrank1
# Posted: 19 Sep 2023 12:16

They will always find a way in , its what they do. At our cabins the fall is a repeat peak. The more we use the place the more we keep up with them. Old school snap traps have been my most reliable and the green bar-baits for maintenance (though I believe the formulation was changed, they used to be more effective.
But yeah, you have to plug anything you can find, and those holes can be SMALL.
The other day I was thinking I should tear off all the siding, put up metal sheathing and replace the siding!
Think 'house-wrap' of metal, lol.

Popeye
# Posted: 19 Sep 2023 15:32

1/4" hardware cloth will keep mice out if you can find all the small gaps.

ICC
# Posted: 19 Sep 2023 18:13 - Edited by: ICC

We have used 1/4" hardware cloth around the bottom perimeter of many sheds around the ranch and those buildings have few if any infestations of mice. It also helps a lot IMO to keep food and paper goods (toilet paper, etc) in mouse-proof boxes or cabinets.

My cabin is 20+ years old and we have never had a mouse problem. The built area is shared with other family members for a total of 5 cabins, plus a few sheds and shipping containers. They were all built 18 to 25 years ago. All 5 are sided with Hardie cement fiber lap siding boards. All the exterior trim, fascia and soffit material are Hardie as well. All are raised on piers and beam foundations and skirted with metal roofing panel pieces with venting.

When we built them we took extra care to cut materials to close tolerances to make it as simple as possible to have no gaps. Whenever we made a perforation for wire and conduit, water and waste pipes or vent ducts special care was taken to seal gaps with a mixture of stainless steel wool and mortar mix. We also ran strips of hardware cloth over seams and joints underneath in the pier-beam and shear wall areas. I have also used some 3mm S/S wire mesh in some areas.

Here at home I followed much the same practises with the exception of concrete slab foundations and some concrete block shop walls. No wood or plastics on the exterior anywhere; cement fiber boards, steel and aluminum and concrete.

We keep all stored firewood away from the cabins. No grasses or shrubs are allowed to grow very close to the buildings. All the doors have automatic closers so they are never open for longer than it takes to enter or exit.

No mice, no rats, no squirrels, etc. So it can be done but does require care in building as well as care in maintenance.

gcrank1
# Posted: 19 Sep 2023 19:39

I know for certain it is far better to build better than to try to seal up after the fact; but this is what we got.
A friend just mentioned today maybe our issue is something from the weasel family. If so, maybe we no longer have a mouse issue, lol.

ICC
# Posted: 19 Sep 2023 20:22

Quoting: gcrank1
maybe we no longer have a mouse issue, lol.

There is a bright side to most everything

Tim_Ohio
# Posted: 22 Sep 2023 10:33 - Edited by: Tim_Ohio

I just had the great experience of the check engine light coming on in my car. I went to investigate and the wiring to one of the O2 sensors had been chewed through. I'm guessing it was a squirrel. The insulation had been worked over as well. It sits in a car-port on asphalt. I bought a couple of black plastic vented trays, filled them with two boxes of moth balls and set it under the engine on the ground. I'm hoping this will deter them.

Tim_Ohio

gcrank1
# Posted: 22 Sep 2023 11:40

Reports are that its the soybean based 'mold release agent ?' used that has been attracting chewers.
They also seem to love chewing the vent caps off my gas jugs ; after the caps are gone they chew the threads on the jug.....

scott100
# Posted: 22 Sep 2023 23:08 - Edited by: scott100

It's mouse season again. At our place everything's pretty tight so I don't get them in the cabin.

Where I have the issue is under the floor. They chew through the blue board insulation under it and like to nest in the small space between it and the floor and make chewing noises at night when I'm trying to sleep.

My plan of attack after I chased the couple out that had set up residence and got rid of the old nests, was to spray foam the whole underneath right over (underneath) the blue board with Kraken Fastcoat 1 part spray foam. The theory is they don't particularly like spray foam, and by sealing all the air gaps, and smells, they don't really have much incentive to come in since they can't source the heat from the air leaks.

So that's the theory. I'll let you know how it works. The Kraken product is pretty easy to use (other than the fact I'm laying on my back under a cabin) and cheap compared to the estimate I got from an insulation contractor last year. If that fails, I'll have to break out some hardware cloth. Meanwhile,I still have some to get out of my hair and off my arms even though I had a tyvek suit on.

gcrank1
# Posted: 23 Sep 2023 19:22

I stayed over at the cabin last night and didnt notice the smell (but I have sinus issues; my wife smells better) OPPS!/LOL
We will go up tomorrow and take a pine scent candle, that might give her back the old cabin.

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.