Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / Stay cool as heatwave marches on!
. 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
trollbridge
# Posted: 2 Jul 2012 19:41

Most of us likely have AC but what else do you do to stay cool -especially if your job is working outside? Hope everyone is staying hydrated and being sensible!

ErinsMom
# Posted: 2 Jul 2012 19:59

A friend was admitted to hospital today with irregular heartbeat and shortness of breath. Temp here over weekend > 107.9

trollbridge
# Posted: 2 Jul 2012 21:36

Wow...too hot!! Hope your friend has a quick recovery.

trollbridge
# Posted: 3 Jul 2012 11:38

Wow...the highways are buckling here and the news chopper was out getting footage. Right as they were filming a car came along at 70 mph and hit the buckled spot which stretched across both lanes. The poor car went airborne and flew for I don't know how many feet, but what I do know is that that would have been the end to my minivan!!!! Wow, I'm glad nobody was hurt! The road was only marked with a temporary "bump" sign on each side of the road........that was a little more than a bump I would say!! Hope nobody else flew over it the same way. Yikes!

Dillio187
# Posted: 3 Jul 2012 11:53

it happened down here in the 'city' yesterday too. I went out last night about 730 to get some exercise and it actually felt 'cool' at 91F with the sun going down.

trollbridge
# Posted: 3 Jul 2012 12:04

LOL...We went out last night at 7:30 too- not for exercise- but rather to get a spicy chicken sandwich from Wendys!!!! I was not about to cook in the heat!! Tonight I think I will wait for the sun to go completely down before I go for my walk! Suppose to be triple digits the next 2 days! UGH!

AYP1909
# Posted: 3 Jul 2012 13:58

The high temperature here yesterday was 58° F. We have a saying around Puget Sound that the official start of summer is July 5th. It looks like that will hold true again this year.

rayyy
# Posted: 3 Jul 2012 15:49

Well,yah got to admitt,our climate is really getting screwy.With that nice warm spring and the winter that never was,we are paying for that now,big time.Parched,bone dry here in the north east.High insect population,s eating everything.Fires in our mid states,,yikes!What a mess.I feal sorry for those folks having to run from their homes from the fires or tornadoes.Mother Nature can really be nasty if she want's!

Bevis
# Posted: 3 Jul 2012 16:13

We had 2 go to hospital yesterday after a very hot structure fire...in the middle of the day.

Rob_O
# Posted: 3 Jul 2012 19:37

Quoting: trollbridge
Most of us likely have AC but what else do you do to stay cool -especially if your job is working outside?

My job is working on AC units, busy time of year and most of it is outside work.

trollbridge
# Posted: 3 Jul 2012 23:06

Just got back from my walk-as usual the dog "walked" me the first half down the hill and I had to coax her along to get back up the hill. The temp is 87 but the humidity-ick. The fireflies looked like twinkling white Christmas lights in all the sumac trees along the road and the bats are doing a good job on skeeter control cause I wasn't bothered by any. A town over is doing their fireworks show tonight so "boom bam boom" was all I heard! The moon is gorgeous-big,full and orange. By the end of my walk some thin clouds had crossed in front and it looked like a mummy head-weird but true!

naturelover66
# Posted: 4 Jul 2012 12:37

We were at the cabin for a few days...... came home early due to the heat. That orange moon was awesome Monday night...........
This heat is killing me.

trollbridge
# Posted: 4 Jul 2012 12:44

Funny too....remember back during March and we all couldn't wait till summer came???

trollbridge
# Posted: 4 Jul 2012 13:23

A happy ending to a scary story here. A 5 year old autistic boy was found this morning unharmed after being reported missing yesterday around noon. He wandered away from home wearing no shirt. He lived in a rural area. I am so happy he was found! In this heat I really feared the worse for him and his family. Nice to hear a good ending to these kind of stories.

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 4 Jul 2012 18:06

We spent the entire day at the Milwaukee Yacht Club soaking our feet off the end of a friends 42 ft motoryacht..then we ate a fantastic buffet with the night ending in spectacular fireworks...little did anyone know that the whole time I was thinking about how nice it would be to be sitting on the porch at the cabin!

neb
# Posted: 4 Jul 2012 22:01

It has been pretty good here so far. Today we had 81 and a very nice breeze. I was on the river and actually needed a long sleeve shirt. 80's for the rest of the week.

trollbridge
# Posted: 4 Jul 2012 22:05

Quoting: Sustainusfarm

We spent the entire day at the Milwaukee Yacht Club soaking our feet off the end of a friends 42 ft motoryacht..then we ate a fantastic buffet with the night ending in spectacular fireworks

I was going to call you a huge SNOB till I read your real thoughts! LOL!

Neb...81 and a breeze sounds wonderful! We are going to be in the 80's next week so relief is on the way!

Dillio187
# Posted: 5 Jul 2012 00:11

looks like my cabin is getting hammered by storms again tonight. Just when I was hoping it would dry out.

trollbridge
# Posted: 5 Jul 2012 10:59

I saw that it has stormed the past couple nights up there Dillio. Hope all is well at your place. We need the rain in the south not north. I'm sure we still have a waterfront cabin......

Bevis
# Posted: 5 Jul 2012 12:34

I think I drank 5 gals of water yesterday. Was a busy, HOT, & hummid day at work.

Seto
# Posted: 5 Jul 2012 12:47

working outside i keep long sleaves and pants on that are a light color to protect against direct sunlight. indoors i use the hill billy AC. i go to a gas station and buy 2 solid blocks of ice, put it in a bucket in the middle of my cabin and close up the windows. the insulation and small cabin size make it like an oversize ice chest and the ice draws heat from the air inside the cabin, keeps the cabin 10 degrees cooler. also got one of those DC fans at an auto parts store.

trollbridge
# Posted: 5 Jul 2012 12:52

Hi bevis-tell all your stories now...how many people blew themselves accidently up with an illegal firework? I always worry about my brother doing that!

Ever drank so much water you felt waterlogged by the end of the day? I'm sure you needed all that water to keep you hydrated and besides...you don't want to become a patient yourself! At least there will be relief for us soon...but Florida...I know I ask you all the time how you can stand it, but I still can't figure out how you do it!!

naturelover66
# Posted: 5 Jul 2012 12:56

The expressway here buckled too last night........ ive never ever heard of this happening before.

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 5 Jul 2012 14:28

102 degrees here in Milwaukee now!! And I'm only 5 blks from the lake front...no lake breeze today! The chickens out in the yard are roasting ( maybe one will be done by dinner time??) .

Bevis
# Posted: 5 Jul 2012 18:06

Quoting: trollbridge
how many people blew themselves accidently up with an illegal firework?

Had a young retard that though he could hold onto a lit motar round... that is until it exploded almost in his had as he tried to throw it. All the meat on the inside of his palm was gone and some finger tips too. We never found the complete little finger or the ring finger from the first joint to the tip. I'm sure some birds found the fingers, and had them for lunch today.

...close to midnight, had a drunk wanna be gang banger that decided that he would put a roman candle between his butt cheeks and light it... Wrong move there f*cktard. The damn thing exploded after three shots, he now has 2nd and 3rd degree burns to his bung hole and acorns. Yep they walk amongst us, and provide job security to me.

larry
# Posted: 5 Jul 2012 19:00

Quoting: Bevis
Had a young retard that though he could hold onto a lit motar round

read an article today about a man that nearly blew off his intire right hand. his statement was something like this, they were made legal so i thought they were safe...clearly this man is working from the shallow end of the gene pool! he too held a mortar

Dillio187
# Posted: 5 Jul 2012 19:17

seems a 'cool' front has come through here..it's still in the low 90's, but the dew point is down quite a bit and you can actually enjoy being outside again.

neb
# Posted: 5 Jul 2012 19:45

I feel for you guys!!! We had 78 today was very nice.

SE Ohio
# Posted: 5 Jul 2012 20:43

Them Canadians have to be enjoying this heat wave about now!

trollbridge
# Posted: 5 Jul 2012 21:15 - Edited by: trollbridge

Spent a couple hours out in the pool. The water temp is so high that there is no initial shock going in. Felt so good being out there but then coming inside the air conditioned house in a wet swimsuit is FREEZING! Guess I should not complain though! Only 1 more day of the really hot stuff and then 80's...AHHH!

. 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.