Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / Stay cool as heatwave marches on!
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
cabingal3
# Posted: 5 Jul 2012 22:14

Finally some heat here.our first day of hot!
its going to be 90 another day soon.i am so excited.i lay outside like an old turtle on a rock.
yesterday i was sick.could not get warm.i am glad no one could see me.i had sweats on and a long coat and socks.and laid out in the back yard where no one could see...finally got warm.
today i laid out.felt so good.
we open up the house early when it is dark.we stil have 3 quilts on our bed in the nitetime.It keeps our house cool.we dont have any a.c. but several fans.i am so happy for something besides rain.

tnky03
# Posted: 5 Jul 2012 23:25

Still surviving here in KY, can't say the same of my garden though. Today temp registered 110 at our place. We so badly need rain, even the redbud trees are brown and the weeds are dying. Hopefully next week will be cooler, down to the 90's they say...

ShabinNo5
# Posted: 6 Jul 2012 08:16

Currently relaxing in the Shabin and 60 degrees. However yesterday was another story. Temps along Lake Superior were in the 80's at lake level. Upper 90's on the cliffs over looking the lake. The coolest breeze I found were the hand driers in the restrooms

trollbridge
# Posted: 6 Jul 2012 08:42

Sorry to hear you were sick cabi...enjoy laying out today Ms. Turtle!

tnky....110....way too darn hot!!!

Quoting: ShabinNo5
The coolest breeze I found were the hand driers in the restrooms

Funny but true!!!
I see a big blob of rain on the radar up there...I don't even want to know how big the "lake" behind our cabin is now....makes me have no desire to go up there cause it has been so wet and I can't believe I am even saying that! Hope your cabin is holding it's own through all the bad weather!

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 6 Jul 2012 09:14

I love being at the cabin when its raining...that way its only us and the dogs as no one wants to visit!

MJW
# Posted: 6 Jul 2012 09:16

Been hotter than the dickins here in Central KY.

I was just telling my wife yesterday, "I can't believe we are in this rollin' house and we are here where it is so hot."

We are traveling North but apparently not fast enough!

trollbridge
# Posted: 6 Jul 2012 09:23

I guess that is one way of looking at it!

Part of me really wants to go but the other part of me doesn't...I guess it would depend on what we were going to be doing there.

I feel like with the heat dying down after today there are a million and one things here that need to be tended to outdoors. I wanted to patch and reseal our driveway. It needs to be done really badly. We could also stand to trim bushes and put down more dirt and grass seed on the side yard now that my husband bought himself a tractor but i think he is leaning towards going to the cabin. We'll see...maybe I'll change my mind.

trollbridge
# Posted: 6 Jul 2012 09:25

Quoting: MJW
We are traveling North but apparently not fast enough

Drive faster! After today it will be cooler!

Dillio187
# Posted: 6 Jul 2012 10:26

ugh more rain? I'm sure my dirt driveway (that's already full of ruts from this spring) will be a mess again. blah

trollbridge
# Posted: 6 Jul 2012 10:46

yeah Dillio...my heart sank when I saw the radar again!

So many other places need the rain so badly-seems so wrong that it keeps dumping where it is not needed nor wanted

trollbridge
# Posted: 6 Jul 2012 11:20

Rob_O...the weather channel was talking about air condition repair men and how they were staying very busy but having to work mostly outside...made me think of you! Hope you can stay somewhat cool today I hope all your customers invite you in or at least offer you some ice cold lemonade!!!!

Dillio187
# Posted: 6 Jul 2012 11:31

I have a friend who is taking his broken down above ground pool out, and lucky for me, he has given me all the rock and sand from it. It's all going on the driveway bit by bit over this summer

trollbridge
# Posted: 6 Jul 2012 12:36

Quoting: Dillio187
It's all going on the driveway bit by bit over this summer

in between all the rainy days!

At least our driveway remains solid up north. Our problem is drainage away from the back of the cabin. We bought a tractor to fix the problem but it is just too darn wet to get in there!

Dillio187
# Posted: 6 Jul 2012 15:48

mud

I wish my driveway were solid... LOL

MJW
# Posted: 6 Jul 2012 16:08

The grass here, what little there is left, makes a crunching sound when you walk on it.

trollbridge
# Posted: 6 Jul 2012 18:28

Quoting: Dillio187
I wish my driveway were solid...

Oh wow Dillio...you weren't kiddin were you?????

Quoting: MJW

The grass here, what little there is left, makes a crunching sound when you walk on it.

Clearly we have the 2 extremes here!!!!

trollbridge
# Posted: 6 Jul 2012 18:33

Here is our "moat"(sp) around our place.
100_8825.JPG
100_8825.JPG

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 6 Jul 2012 18:45

Quoting: trollbridge
"moat"(sp)

Moot, mote, moote...what the heck...I cant spell it either!!??
OK..looked it up, it's MOTE...

TB Where are you taking that pic from?? Is that the side of the cabin? Are you on the porch?? Thats alot of water right around the foundation if it is....can you bring a few buckets down to Milwaukee so I can water my tomatoes?? LOL

trollbridge
# Posted: 6 Jul 2012 19:04 - Edited by: trollbridge

Quoting: Sustainusfarm
Moot, mote, moote...what the heck...I cant spell it either!!??
OK..looked it up, it's MOTE..

Oh good...now we know! LOL! All I know is it is more water than we need sitting around the post to our cabin. We took the picture standing out on our back stoop...we now call it "the dock".

How bout we link hoses together (we have three 75 footers, you can supply the rest!) and you suck on your end to get the water flowing thru and then you can have all of it! Should work 'cause you are DOWN south of our cabin! HA HA!!!!!!!

trollbridge
# Posted: 6 Jul 2012 19:10 - Edited by: trollbridge

Wait......I just looked up MOTE and it is MOAT---Merriam would never lie would she??? LOL!

By the way---little lesson for today---on Merriam's site the word of the day is "goober". Do you know what that is? No cheating...take a guess...

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 6 Jul 2012 19:32

I looked up the word castle and in every sentence it they refered to MOTE as MOTE not MOAT?? Hmmmm...
Goober...is when a big, long, drippy...GOOBER gobs out of your mouth??!!

trollbridge
# Posted: 6 Jul 2012 19:41

Are you sayin that Merriam does lie??? We need to get to the bottom of this..........................................Hmmmm, seems that this MacMillan dude agrees with Merriam-course they could be in bed with each other!!

That is what I always thought of a goober as too (even though you used the word trying to describe the definition...a big NO NO btw!!!) but not according to Webster. Anyone else got a guess????

Dillio187
# Posted: 6 Jul 2012 20:03

yea I keep expecting to see the locals mud boggin' it on my driveway....

Rob_O
# Posted: 6 Jul 2012 20:22

"moat" is correct in modern English. If you go to a Renaissance fair you might see it spelled the old way

"goober" is southern-speak for a peanut, or the kind of people who dress up for Renaissance fairs and use the word "mote". Do I win a prize?

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 6 Jul 2012 20:30

I found a place to cool off.

Owen
trip around Lake Superior
trip around Lake Superior

trollbridge
# Posted: 6 Jul 2012 22:07

Quoting: Rob_O
Do I win a prize?

You are absolutely correct Rob_O...you didn't peek did you????

A prize you ask? Sure...you get a smoked turkey leg w/ a large sac of goobers served on the end of a sword by costumed men wearing Jerkins and Hosen! How's that for your prize?

Dillio...it would be a fun place to mud bog!

Owen...The thought of 58 below zero does cool me off

Rob_O
# Posted: 7 Jul 2012 00:11

I didn't have to look it up. I'm bilingual, I speak both Yankee and Rebel.

Where's that guy with the turkey leg? I've been out on the Sun all day fixing AC units and don't feel like cooking!

PA_Bound
# Posted: 7 Jul 2012 09:37 - Edited by: PA_Bound

My daughter and I spent Thursday and Friday working on the wiring in our off-grid cabin. Hit 98 both days, and only into the high 70's at night. It was brutal! We were going to work all weekend but ended up coming home early as we just couldn't take working in the heat anymore- and the forecast for today was over 100. The only good thing to come of it was that, since we were installing the wiring, we had the revelation that we needed to install a generator-only circuit into the living area for an air conditioner. And it was easy to do now... but would be harder later.

trollbridge
# Posted: 7 Jul 2012 11:00 - Edited by: trollbridge

Quoting: Rob_O
Where's that guy with the turkey leg? I've been out on the Sun all day fixing AC units and don't feel like cooking

He left here on a horse named Tango last night----probably collapsed from the heat somewhere in Missouri and the young chap on the horse probably ate your goobers and turkey leg I'm guessing......sorry....but in this heat, it's each man for himself!!!!!!!

Merriam-Websters word of the day? bruit.....anyone got a guess?

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 7 Jul 2012 20:57

Went up to the cabin on a whim today...I am back already....wanted to check how the plants were doing. Everything is dead and dry! I think only north of Wausaw got any good rain in June...My temperature gauge at the cabin recorded a high temp of 108 degrees and a low of 39! Those highs and lows were recorded between June 15th and July 8th!!

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.