Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / Rotten little buggers.
. 1 . 2 . >>
rayyy
# Posted: 20 Sep 2015 05:58

Mice moving in every where,,,ugg!Traps,poison,mothballs,fabric sheets,peppermint oil,bar soap,electronic sound deterrent,neighbor's cat,,,,nothing seems to work.Anybody got anymore ideas to try?

creeky
# Posted: 20 Sep 2015 10:00

t'is the season. get out the spray foam and start looking for holes. all i can suggest.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 20 Sep 2015 10:16 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

Every year we get a can of spray foam with the bitter stuff in it. It's the green can at HD. We wait until it's dark and turn every light we have on. Than DH goes under the cabin and all around outside sealing holes.

This has helped cut our mouse population down by half. Caught nine mice in three weeks. Hoping when we get our spray foam insulation in the floor and ceiling to cut it down to almost nothing.

PS-include checking around your windows and doors.

DaveBell
# Posted: 20 Sep 2015 11:37 - Edited by: DaveBell

Only trap I use, peanut butter in the water bucket.
029.JPG
029.JPG
027.JPG
027.JPG

Donkeydave
# Posted: 20 Sep 2015 11:58

Hello everyone. I just registered here. We live in the Arizona desert and sometimes the summer heat just gets to be too much. Just like people in the frozen north, sometimes we have to stay inside and hide from the weather. So we finally bought some land in New Mexico. It's all wooded and it's at 7,200 feet elevation. Both the summers and winters are quite mild there.
We just bought the land so we won't be able to start building until spring (And it's driving us crazy) We talk about little else. We plan to stay off the grid and set up with 12 volt solar power. There are so many things to talk and think about, from cabin building to security to septic systems to rodent control. I'm glad I found you people because I don't expect to run out of topics and questions for a very long time.

Donkeydave
# Posted: 20 Sep 2015 12:01

Are you just putting peanut butter in the water and the mice jump in after it?

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 20 Sep 2015 12:25

I'd bet he is sticking it on the side and as they reach for it (its set too low for them to reach by design), slip and fall into the water.

DaveBell
# Posted: 20 Sep 2015 12:28 - Edited by: DaveBell

Pic 27 shows peanut butter smeared on the inside. Dick had them inside his van, so they were lured out and died of hypothermia. This is a campground. I think a total of 14 were captured over three days. The mice used the tire as a ladder.

So the components are: deep Metal Bucket, 3 inches of water, fresh peanut butter smeared 3-4 inches down from the rim, and some type of ramp for them to get on the rim (wood pile, flat rough rocks, tire standing up, etc.).

This method catches them before they get to the cabin. I do not recommend Antifreeze or other poisons due to pets and other animals.

DaveBell
# Posted: 20 Sep 2015 12:28

ToyTech, Yep

DaveBell
# Posted: 20 Sep 2015 12:37 - Edited by: DaveBell

No one saw how they got into the water. Did they fall from the rim or from the tire? You might want to put a piece of kindling or 1x2 across the top of the bucket next to the ramp pile and close to the bait so they can pick their favorite diving spot.

old243
# Posted: 20 Sep 2015 20:09

We have a foam plate , balanced across the busket ,on a stiff wire.put peanut butter on the plate , use peanut butter to balance the plate. as soon as they step on the plate it tips and in they go. plate balances again ready for the next customer .Have also heard of using a pop can on a wire, the can will spin, and they lose their grip. Heading to camp tomorrow for a week, hope to do a bit of fishing and partridge hunting.old243

cabingal3
# Posted: 21 Sep 2015 11:12

so do u use a ladle to scoop the drowned mice out of the bucket??
i had a mouse this morning caught in two traps.one back leg in one trap and the head in the other-still wiggling and alive.ew.
i hit on it a while.its in my kitchen under the cabinet.i hate that.
so i picked the traps up and tossed it outside the door.
its dead by now but hate those things.

FishHog
# Posted: 21 Sep 2015 11:46

I have a old ice fishing "ice scoop" that I use to fish them out. It does suck when they don't get caught right in a trap to instantly kill them. Its unfortunate, but I can't say listening to them swim around until they drown is any better.

If they weren't so destructive, and potentially dangerous, I would leave them be, but that is not the case. So like anything that you have to kill, it isn't the most pleasant thing to do, but sometimes a necessity.

hueyjazz
# Posted: 21 Sep 2015 12:00

Ha
My wife stepped on a mouse while going out in the dark to our cabin deck this weekend. She thinks it was already dead but I'm 99% sure it wasn't until she stepped on it.
She was very effective
I'd be willing to loan her out for this purpose

tombiosis
# Posted: 21 Sep 2015 22:55

I have a bucket trap as well...I notice the mice will still eat through the "rodent resistant" spray foam...we sprayed all the gaps in our board and batten walls and two weeks later there were little bits of foam and droppings in a few areas.
Mice are a big pain in the a#%!
I put some poison pellets in a tray on my kitchen counter. When I came back a few weeks later I found the pellets moved to the inside of a paper towel tube that was standing up 2 feet away from the tray! Then I moved the pellet tray to the floor under the counter...came back a few weeks later and did not find evidence of mice around the kitchen. I thought "great"! Then I decided to take my afternoon nap...The friggin' mouse (or mice) had moved a bunch of the poison pellets right into my bed, under the covers, right where I lay my head! It was almost as if they were taunting me by trying to poison me back.
True story.
I HATE mice!

rayyy
# Posted: 22 Sep 2015 03:33

I'm gonna have to try me the water bucket/peanut butter invitation!

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 22 Sep 2015 07:19

I have the water bucket with peanut butter set up... however I use the the coffee can on a spindle so that they jump on to the can, then can spins, and then they fall into the water.

Anyhow, it's been effective in the past... but not as of late. Seems we have mice that are just not interested in fresh peanut butter nor nutella.

I'll have to pick the foam up from home depot and try to seal all holes!!

SE Ohio
# Posted: 22 Sep 2015 09:21

I've decreased my indoor mouse count by trapping some outdoors. Bucket trap under cabin has worked, also had success with a Harbor Freight box trap with a bit of corn inside. Nasty cleanup on the latter if they've decomposed, but rather have them that way outdoors rather than in.

Cannot find trap on HF website for some reason or would post link.

Still working on stopping holes. Recently found that Joist screening under cabin has gaps at ends, creating mouse super-highway into insulation! Previous owner attempted to cover gap with tack strips, but screening is puckered leaving gap. Will have to crawl under cabin to remove the wood strips as mouse-crud rains down. Will staple on tight-fitting wire mesh strips. The saga continues!

pizzadude
# Posted: 22 Sep 2015 10:07

I trapped 4 in 3 days with my conventional mouse trap. Then last night went up to the cabin, lo and behold the trap disappeared. Checked everywhere. How the heck is that possible?!
I dunno but tonight I'm going to get me a bucket, water, and peanut butter.
Thanks davebell and rayyy

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 22 Sep 2015 10:39

Leaving a bucket trap with food inside (even a little) will not only attract mice into your cabin it could also attract a bear or squirrel.

It's best to leave your cabin free of any food source when you are not there.

cabingal3
# Posted: 22 Sep 2015 11:42

Quoting: pizzadude
I trapped 4 in 3 days with my conventional mouse trap. Then last night went up to the cabin, lo and behold the trap disappeared. Checked everywhere. How the heck is that possible?!
I dunno but tonight I'm going to get me a bucket, water, and peanut butter.
Thanks davebell and rayyy

thats happened to me alot pizzadude.gonna go with the bucket of death next.setting it up today.not to cool to have mouse brains squished on ur kitchen floor.thats what happened when i bonked the little critter on the head.

NorthRick
# Posted: 22 Sep 2015 12:06

Quoting: pizzadude

Was the trap outside? Something that likes mice could have taken it.

Once I was working a job on Adak Island and the building we were working out of had plenty of mice. So, I started setting traps all over the place. Started killing a bunch of mice but then I started losing traps placed outside. Turns out the bald eagles figured out that in the morning there would likely be some fresh mouse morsels on the ground. I realized what was going on when I saw an eagle on a conex box pulling a mouse out of one of my traps!

DaveBell
# Posted: 22 Sep 2015 12:48

A lot of good ideas on this thread. Thanks everyone for posting your ideas. If ya'll get a chance, post some pics of your bucket trap setups to share ideas with everyone. Thanks!

pizzadude
# Posted: 22 Sep 2015 13:01 - Edited by: pizzadude

Northrick. The trap was inside. It vanished. And as far as I can see, an injured mouse couldn't have drug that trap into any cabin orifice.
I just hope I don't start smelling something... but I suppose I will eventually.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 22 Sep 2015 14:16

We found traps with decomposed mouse bodies behind heavy furniture that we hadn't moved in years when we cleaned our logs this summer. They dragged them back there and died.

I know those traps had to be at least five years old because I used to set traps and leave before I knew better..

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 22 Sep 2015 17:38

Pizzadude... I had the same problem... until I found I was dealing with a Norway Rat, rather than a field mouse.

In fact, I got a victor rat trap, and it just caught fur... and hauled the trap off (not too far, I found it).

I then zip tied the rat trap to a brick... got more fur...

Finally went to a Have-a-heart live trap and got em!!

Salty Craig
# Posted: 22 Sep 2015 19:28

RichInTheUSA
I hope he died of lead poisoning soon after.

Smawgunner
# Posted: 22 Sep 2015 20:10

I'm 100% convinced that there is nothing that will deter them. The ONLY way to keep them out,....is to keep them out. Seal everything up with material they cannot chew through.

pizzadude
# Posted: 22 Sep 2015 23:18

I swear those little guys can squeeze through a nail hole. Just when you think you got the place sealed up, guess what?
Yeah...

I still can't find that darn trap.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 23 Sep 2015 01:15

Yikes!!! Yeah, Silverwaterlady brought up something I was wondering about the peanut butter-bucket method. Doesn't it attract other, um, much larger wild things to the cabin? Like bears?

Sounds like a great trick, otherwise. As long as I could convince my silly bulldog that this isn't a new game setup for her called bobbing for mice.

Do any of y'all have that rodent wire mesh barrier installed under the cabin, before the insulation? I was planning on it and wondered if it works?

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.