Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / Gardening thread--- 2011
<< . 1 . 2 .
mrsP
# Posted: 26 Apr 2011 11:59 - Edited by: mrsP

I have planted a graden every year for the past 30 some odd years. :)
Can, freeze and dry most of our food.

Started drying veggies about 4 years ago. i have a rack up high in the main room by our wood stove. Most things dry within 4 to 7 days, depending on how thin they are sliced and the water content.
I have jars of dried, beans, carrots, beets, mushrooms, cabbage, broccoli, squash, corn, etc.

Just started planting some seeds and transplanting onions and leeks out in my garden and tomatoes into the greenhouse. My strawberries are starting to wake up after the winter, raspberries and currants are starting to bud as are the fruit trees!
Spring has sprung on the west coast of BC.

Here is a picture of my Asparagus starting to come up too!

My Pantry...........

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 26 Apr 2011 16:27

mrsP,
Every year, my mom cans and freezes all summer long. Then says, I'm not doing this next year. But, she does. Last year even added another garden. The only thing she dries are the beans. She even cans and freezes sausage and ribs in the fall during hog killing time. I must admit there's nothing like her green beans, corn or creasy greens in the middle of winter.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 26 Apr 2011 21:40

mrsP....that pantry has some fine eats in there. great pic of the fruits of your labor.

Quoting: Erins#1Mom
there's nothing like her green beans, corn or creasy greens in the middle of winter

so true those green beans in a jar are so good one of my fav's.........:-)

Gary O
# Posted: 15 May 2011 13:01 - Edited by: Gary O

A new season springs!
Turkeyhunter, I s'pose you're now contemplating a 2nd planting, or at least harvesting something, but here in the Willamette Valley, we are just starting to consider planting 'maters'.

Got over exuberant in paring (whacking) down the grapes last fall (Concord and Thompson), and was at bit concerned with their survival until signs of life appeared....

However, blossoms are about, and signs of spring never cease to refresh the mind...........
another good blueberry season in the offing
another good blueberry season in the offing
apple blossom time
apple blossom time
concord survivalists
concord survivalists

larryh
# Posted: 15 May 2011 14:34

The deer are a real pest this year. They ate all the asparagus as it came up. Then they attacked the new strawberry plants that are just planted and kept eating off all the leaves. Recently they started to eat the few Raspberry plants a I have.. I put some soap around which sometimes slows them down. I looked at electric fences which some of my neighbors use with good luck. But boy if you need a battery or solar one your looking at big bucks to get in the game and then there is not a guarantee they won't jump over it unless its really tall which I am resisting so far. I finally put down some blood meal which my mom said my grandfather used to chase off rabbits in his garden. So far they have stopped other than for a very brief bite off one plant. I don't know if its luck, or they ran out of things they wanted and are just waiting for a bunch of nice new strawberry leaves to munch on soon? I tired some small plastic electric fence post with fishing line that a woman emailed me worked on her garden, but these deer after two nights simply destroyed the four rows of fishing line and went about their business. I have considered making a scarecrow rather than spending all the money on the electric fencing and post and charger, I still may do that, but wondered if the deer wouldn't just finally figure out it didn't move and eat anyway?

Rob_O
# Posted: 15 May 2011 15:12

Larry, HERE is a PDF you might find useful. My forestry guy recommended the 2-dimensional fence shown in that document, although the "peanut butter on foil" trick in the document will probably deter them pretty effectively

Gary O
# Posted: 15 May 2011 15:18

Quoting: larryh
The deer are a real pest this year.

How many deer, and how big is your freezer?

larryh
# Posted: 15 May 2011 16:52

Rob,
thanks for the link. I did in fact run into that link when I was looking on the net. I think the mention of the fact that many deer may become emboldened to get into the garden once they have tasted the bounty discouraged my idea of spending a lot of money for fencing. But yes, I agree that if your going to do it the first try is the peanut butter with foil as a deterrent shock and then if that fails a higher fence. The two stage one is more fence than I wish to look at, I think just putting a single one high enough to keep them from leaping over would be the answer to me if I had to go that route, but a smaller is my first try if I do it. I just wondered if some had had pretty good results using any of the deterrent methods other than the fencing.

hattie
# Posted: 15 May 2011 22:23 - Edited by: hattie

We have had good luck using fabric softener sheets. Cut each sheet into four strips and tie many pieces on each plant that you want to keep deer away from. Rotate the scent on the sheets so the deer won't get too used to one scent. The sheets must be replaced after heavy rain as the scent will wear off.

The best thing we use to keep deer away is a scarecrow from Canadian Tire. It is a motion sensor sprayer on a hose. When motion is detected, it sprays water and the deer HATE IT!!!! Works great but costs about $100.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 16 May 2011 07:53 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

i made this pic last week, should pick a few squash by the nd of the week..........

my maters

while buildiing the new cabin this year, did not have time for my regular garden spot, so i did this raised bed, down by my the barn. It growing great!!!!

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 22 Jul 2011 19:55

ok----how everyone's summer garden doing???
dill pickles have been made, mater's have been frozen by the quarts.....
had lot of peppers

this was todays bounty...... :-)

won't be long before, it will be time for a fall garden

Just
# Posted: 22 Jul 2011 20:38

look good turk,,, i picked my first red one today up here in can. no peppers yet , did'nt get anything planted till june 1 .. it's goose berry time here they are a good crop this year , high bush blue berrys also ready. i had my first garlic head today with some summer squash and that mater.mmmmmmm

naturelover66
# Posted: 22 Jul 2011 20:49

yeah..... Nice tomatoes turkeyhunter......
Mine are still green...... lol
We have just harvested some yellow beans, lettuse, spinach and i picked my first squash this morning !!! I LOVE the garden.... Nothing like picking something you grew..... makes me feel........... ya know, earthy.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 22 Jul 2011 21:30 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

thanks!!!!!
Quoting: naturelover66
i picked my first squash this morning !!!

i am about tried of eating squash...........been eatin them out of the garden 2 months...:-)

2 things money$$$ can't buy!!!~~~~true love and home grown mater's!!! P-)

Quoting: Just
i had my first garlic head today with some summer squash and that mater.mmmmmmm

that sounds like good eatin........

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 23 Jul 2011 09:25

Gary and TH,
Throw a thick slice of Vidalia on that mater sandwich or even better mater biscuit!

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 23 Jul 2011 09:28

I have recipe for homemade V8 juice if anyone is interested. Better than storebought.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 26 Jul 2011 08:38 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

Quoting: Erins#1Mom
I have recipe for homemade V8 juice if anyone is interested. Better than storebought.

please .......like to see recipe...........thanks

still living off the land........ or shall i say eatin off the land:-)

ole mater samich!!!!! with mayo, apple wood cured bacon, peppers, cukes, and lettuce and a slice of vermont cheese......fine lunch yesterday!!!!

naturelover66
# Posted: 26 Jul 2011 20:34

nice colorful lunch !!!

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.