Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / I'm now serious, I'm selling my land in central MN.
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . >>
OwenChristensen
# Posted: 6 May 2013 17:30

Ely is ahead of my back yard as far as the spring goes. I was down to Cambridge yesterday, leaves coming out and spring peepers chirping. I can't wait to sit up high in my tree house in the oaks and have a beer listening to frogs 'til dark and beyond.

trollbridge
# Posted: 7 May 2013 09:46

I know, I know...the sounds of nature are really coming alive. This is the best time of year nature's symphony!

rayyy
# Posted: 9 May 2013 07:00

Uhhhh just so spectaular sights,sounds,smells,colors.I so love springtime,just wished it would last a little bit longer.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 9 May 2013 07:18

I guess the spring peepers can't wait. Even though we still have a little snow here and there, I heard them for the first time last night.
Opening of MN fishing season and the lakes north of Duluth are still quite frozen.

trollbridge
# Posted: 9 May 2013 12:33

Yay, Owen!

Hey, did you hear about all of the loons that were caught in the snowstorm last week? They were covered in ice and snow during flight and became like torpedoes falling from the sky. Isn't that terrible? Our beloved loons-a sure sound of summer up north. A bunch were rescued but time will tell how many were lost. The lakes still being froze when they arrived also is unfortunate. I didn't know they can only live on land for about an hour, did you?

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 9 May 2013 18:31

Wow, I didn't hear that. I did see some here on Mon. night. I had a beer with friends at a bar overlooking a lake with a little open water. The small piece of open lake was teaming with life. Herons, ducks, loons, seagulls, bald eagles, otters. I also saw deer, sand hill cranes and a beaver on the trip there. It was special.
heron
heron

trollbridge
# Posted: 9 May 2013 19:03 - Edited by: trollbridge

Hi Owen...hope you had a great day

I was wondering why they can't live on land, so I looked it up and it is because they can not walk! Who knew?!?

I guess they were mistakenly trying to land on wet roads thinking ( or hoping) it was open water u

They need up to a quarter of a mile to take off from water too, so little bits of open water don't do them any good.

It's nice to see and hear the wildlife. Last night I heard one lone toad out there...hope more are around and that he can find a mate.

We are going back up this weekend I'm excited!

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 10 May 2013 07:15

I have another cabin site to look at today. I took a day off from being a mechanic. The prospect has land close to mine, so we're going to ours afterwards and staying until tomorrow night. Nothing to do but grill a couple steaks and have a beer, go for a walk, check out the ponds, have a sauna, build a camp fire, look at stars, look for cow slips, have coffee, count wildlife, and ponder life.

trollbridge
# Posted: 10 May 2013 09:20

Cow slips???

Dillio187
# Posted: 10 May 2013 09:21

that's a bad break for the loons, especially after so many are being lost in Lake Michigan on their flight up here due to botulism.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 11 May 2013 15:18

That's what we've always called them. Marsh Merrygolds seems to be the real name. Always a mother's day gift. Not this year.
This cabin customer is giving me a '66 Bronco 1/2 cab as part payment. I've been looking for one, so it works for me.
Great day at the cabin yesterday. Here's some pics.
pond overflowing
pond overflowing
bending water
bending water
bride in the trees
bride in the trees
flowers up
flowers up

neb
# Posted: 11 May 2013 15:34

Owen looks like you still the property and that is a good thing!

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 11 May 2013 16:48 - Edited by: OwenChristensen

Every day I think hard on how I can keep it. I've made big progress on fixing my retirement budget. Not there yet, but if the land doesn't sell before next year, I should be able to keep it.
water power
water power
the phone booth
the phone booth
the bridge
the bridge
spooky old tree
spooky old tree

trollbridge
# Posted: 16 May 2013 17:57 - Edited by: trollbridge

Enjoyed your pics from your day off last week.

Tell me Owen, why is a 66 Bronco something you desire? Did you use to have one?

Our pond was overflowing too this past weekend. Of course, yours is a lake in comparison

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 16 May 2013 19:15

Well at the cabin we have a couple miles of trails. We walk a lot, also the grandkids ride their little fourwheelers. If I gather fire wood a Bronco works great. A short wheelbase and a little pickup box as well as fourwheel drive. And yes I've had three of the old ones. They are fun. You can take the top and doors off and fold the windshield down. Don't you think that would be cool?
We also have many miles of gravel roads that we explore.
As far as the pond goes; Those beavers and muskrats keep plugging the creek. I need to check it every couple weeks. I don't want the water to flow in any other spot, because I worry about a wash out. It happened once before and took a lot of effort to fix.
She's 22 now
She's 22 now

trollbridge
# Posted: 16 May 2013 22:39

That reason works for me, and yes, I do think it would be cool

I have a 66 MGB convertible--------kinda the same thing minus the 4 wheel drive, little pickup box, and removable doors

Not so good for off roading, but would be great for cruising the north shore!

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 17 May 2013 07:29

OMG, I'd love that. Picture? We have gone through many years of Goldwing touring. A little convertible would be fun just like the Wings. Except with the bike we had more room, LOL.

trollbridge
# Posted: 17 May 2013 09:27

I'll have to find a picture and scan it.
It was my first car - I bought it when I was 16 and my dad and I restored it. Once kids came along it was not practical, but I could never part with it. Then my kids began getting their licenses and wanted to drive it. Um, no...too dangerous (truth be told, I just don't share well!). Lol.
It has sat for many years and needs work now, but someday we will fix it up again. It sure was fun to drive! A little scary on the interstate next to semis-one time I got run off the road and into the median on I94. That was off roading-a bit bumpy-lol-I just kept going until I was able to drive back up onto the pavement I must have been in their blindspot.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 17 May 2013 20:25

I flipped my first Bronco on the freeway also. Sad day, it happens.
Looking forward to a picture. Make it from when you were 16. LOL.

trollbridge
# Posted: 17 May 2013 23:45

Flipped it on the interstate?!??? That's really NOT good Did you get hurt?
I'll see what I can do for a picture...

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 18 May 2013 10:17

No I didn't get hurt. Short and high, these rigs don't belong on the highway. But they are a hoot in the back country.
No cabin this weekend, not mine or a new build. I start the Ely cabin Thursday. Just resting today, cloudy and drizzle. I have aching mussels from bike riding to work all week, a first for me. I want to slim down and build tone for next winter. No grandkids either today.

trollbridge
# Posted: 18 May 2013 10:33

Enjoy a relaxing day. Weather is the same down here-has been since yesterday, so Noelle and I didn't get our walk in. Riding to work and back will be good exercise and save gas. With the ridiculous prices this week, that is really good!

So the shop is giving you some time off for cabin building? How long will this one take you? You'll have to post a picture when you are done.

My husband is picking up his new cabin toy...a golf cart. He sprung this on me yesterday. Saw it on Craigslist. Men...

I have a busy day ahead and my grandson's baptism tomorrow, so I will be seeing all the kids and grandkids. Should be fun!

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 18 May 2013 10:45 - Edited by: OwenChristensen

I think you're always busy. As a grandpa, it runs hot and cold that way for me.
As for work, I can do what I need to do, work my own hours. They know they can't pay me enough to be only there. It is a busy time of year for them, so I try hard to not waste time.
This is a finished cabin, knotty pine interior, and a separate sauna. It will take a while, I'm guessing 14 days total. To keep my job, that might be spread over six weeks time. I will fish some in the evenings.
I had a golf cart too. He and I think alike. Now I have the Cushman truck.

Owen

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 18 May 2013 15:16 - Edited by: OwenChristensen

If anyone would like to talk cabins, please call two one eight 390-4586. I build them in northern MN and WI. Or about the land, or even just advice. I'm full of it. LOL. The best time to call is between 8 and 4:30. weekdays, but anytime before 9 pm any day will do.

Owen

trollbridge
# Posted: 19 May 2013 16:51 - Edited by: trollbridge

Okay, here ya go....
I couldn't find the picture I was looking for. It was my car and me plus a high school girlfriend's grandpa. He was a brain surgeon in Ft. Lauderdale, Fl and we stayed with him for a couple weeks that summer. He made me promise him a ride in my car when he came up for a visit later in the summer. When I went to pick him up, he came out wearing a funky looking helmet and race suit and strapped himself in like we were actually going to fly down the autobahn!!! It was pretty funny. He was interesting- he use to sit out on their ocean view balcony eating his raw ground beef-his delicious steak tartare...almost made me want to barf! LOL.

Anyway, here is my car being restored. The luggage rack was added the year I moved to college. That car actually held a lot and had tons of leg room!

I added my school picture since I can't find the other you requested. I gotta clean that car back up...so many great memories!
MG_002.jpg
MG_002.jpg
MG_001.jpg
MG_001.jpg
MG.jpg
MG.jpg
MG_003.jpg
MG_003.jpg

manny
# Posted: 19 May 2013 20:04

Wow !!! Stunning and i mean stunningAnd the mg is very nice too

neb
# Posted: 19 May 2013 20:25

trollbridge
A great looking car and like someone else said a stunning picture of you. I also had an MGB but not a convertible and was a great little car for me. It was so so good on gas. I remember one time I had to leave it at school for an over night event and when I returned some friends picked it up and moved it up on a 12 inch cement pad. Well I couldn't drive it off because of low clearance. I had to round up a few guys to help me lift it back down. I was a great ride and fun to drive.

trollbridge
# Posted: 19 May 2013 20:52

Haha, lol, Manny and neb...you make me blush

That's awesome neb! What year was yours and do you have a picture, too? Did you have yours in high school? They are such fun little cars to drive and they did get great gas mileage...hmmm, what was the price per gallon in the early eighties, do you remember? My best girlfriend use to say the boys were like mice and my car was like a big piece of cheese! She always wanted me to drive whenever we went anywhere. Lol. That's pretty funny that they put your car up. There really wasn't a lot of clearance. I always had to garage mine during our winters. Like I said before, I have so many fond memories of adventures I had with that car. Some day I'm going to get it driveable again

neb
# Posted: 19 May 2013 21:46

trollbridge
Man I just can't remember what year it was but was early 60's model. I had it in the late 70's and gas maybe wasn't that cheap in those days but compared it to today it was dirt cheap. Yep I was in high school the good old days and many good times. I think about those days from time to time and man there was no worries those days. LOL I don't have a picture not sure if there where camera's then.

trollbridge
# Posted: 20 May 2013 08:33

Lol! Yes, there were cameras...we aren't ancient! What year did you graduate- '82 for me.

What color was your MG?

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.