Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / I'm now serious, I'm selling my land in central MN.
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . >>
trollbridge
# Posted: 19 Jun 2013 19:04

If you buy it, Owen, will you take me for a ride??? I'll buy the ice cream cones!

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 19 Jun 2013 19:30

Now you done it, I'll have to buy it.

trollbridge
# Posted: 19 Jun 2013 21:11

Lol! All for some ice cream? Wow!

Arlynn
# Posted: 21 Jun 2013 14:57

Owen, you have a couple of income producing set ups there! Can you rent out the cabins to groups and individuals? Maybe sell off a portion of land and do some upgrades or add recreational attraction?

Also, there are people who would rent your land and use it for income.
A survivalist group on yahoo had people interested in such a place. Look at all your options first.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 21 Jun 2013 16:01

Thanks, I had thought of something like that. When I was out in WY, I stayed at a dude ranch where people paid $1,000 a week to stay and do horse and ranch work. I thought maybe I could have several of my small cabins with saunas and firepits for people who might bring their horses and ride the trails and use my corral for training and a quiet weekend. It take money to get started though.

Martian
# Posted: 21 Jun 2013 19:33

I recently had a romantic rendezvous at an isolated cabin in MO. It was nothing special, but offered peace and quiet and solitude. The cost was $150/night; paid at the time of reservation. It didn't have any special amenities like sauna or whirlpool, and wasn't really fancy. It was clean and everything worked.

If you have horse trails and corrals, I think you could tap into that market quite well.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 21 Jun 2013 19:41

You guys got me thinkin'. I have a friend up by Ely MN who has a log building school. He rents out cabins while they learn to build for a week or two. When they have all left he has another cabin to rent out for the next year. Isn't that a growing bus.? And I sell him logs.

Arlynn
# Posted: 21 Jun 2013 21:44

A dude ranch sounds exciting! You might even have a great time operating it.

We have a ranch not far from here that welcomes groups of special needs children with their care givers. They do pony rides with them. It's a sleep over ending with a camp fire and songs. Farms in our area do a pumpkin patch pick-your-own and have a hayride then finish up with a sack lunch that they brought. You can do some seasonal events.

So many possibilities

In Potter County, Hamersley Fork, PA we rented old cabins that looked more like shacks for $100.00 a night just to be in the mountains. But it is so beautiful there. Lots of history there too.

People will pay Owen.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 27 Jun 2013 21:25

A sad note: My 37 year old son crashed his motorcycle at a race a couple days ago. He broke his lower leg in several locations and is in surgery right now.
I hope he's done now.
I hope he's done now.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 27 Jun 2013 21:37 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

I am sorry to hear that Owen. My thoughts are with you and your son for a speedy recovery.

DH and I rode for a few years. The last time we were out we almost got clipped by a motorist. About a year later our son was on the same bike sitting at a red light at 2 am and noticed a car coming up on him at a high rate of speed. He jumped off the bike and the drunk driver ran the bike over. That put an end to our riding days!

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 27 Jun 2013 21:44

I hear you there. My wife and I rode Goldwings for many years. We never had a crash, but with all the deer around here it's just a matter of time. We quit.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 8 Jul 2013 07:28 - Edited by: OwenChristensen

Beaver wars! They have flooded my trails and put brush and mud for two hundred feet. I tried to shoot them Sat. night. I got one, but I'm sure that's not enough.
now
now
last summer
last summer

Dillio187
# Posted: 8 Jul 2013 09:18

Owen, check out vrbo.com, we use it every summer to rent a place out in the boonies, it seems very popular to rent out your cabin when you're not there!

Dillio187
# Posted: 8 Jul 2013 09:19

BTW, that looks like the front end for a Honda 110,125 or 185. I have a nice '82 110 sitting in my garage as we speak!

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 8 Jul 2013 20:10

Yes it's a 110. It was my mother's. It's nice to have something. I've hauled several deer with it too.
Thanks for the tip.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 27 Jul 2013 21:01 - Edited by: OwenChristensen

Just got back from the cabin. JD tractor made quick work of the beaver dam. A light rain, but still got the front yard mowed too.
Lunch and coffee by the fire with no bugs what so ever. I think they drowned. No ticks either. We don't generally get any, but the dogs do and they seem to be free of them today. I didn't count on wet dogs on the seat of my truck though. I'm looking forwards to next weekend with all the kids and their kids. Also we get to ride around the country side in our new ''old'' Bronco.
top off, windshield up
top off, windshield up
top off, windshield down
top off, windshield down

neb
# Posted: 27 Jul 2013 21:26

Owen are you still trying to sell your place? That old bronco looks good shape.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 28 Jul 2013 09:05 - Edited by: OwenChristensen

Well yes, but every day I'm getting in better shape financially to possibly keep it. I had a call about it last night , but they wanted me to carry the loan. With a fifty thousand big pines on it, that's too big a risk.
We have some real back country roads around in the cabin area, very thinly populated. So we pile the kids into the back of the Bronco, I've had others, and go for rides and snoop, take wildlife pictures, and even picnics. The older kids like to ride there wheelers or cycles too. It's a good way to cool off if it's hot. I have a tilt bed trailer for my one ton to pull our tractor that fits the Bronco like a glove. It's to small to take on the highway, at least with all the cabin stuff.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 5 Aug 2013 09:40

Weekend at the cabin. Wow, not much for bugs or ticks. Not that hot either. The grandkids brought a friend. They rode their wheelers and cycles, played kick the can, I played too. I mowed a lot of grass and we all went country cruising on the Bronco. It was a big hit. At fifteen miles an hour, I let the kids dangle their feet off the back. There was deer flies on the road. I don't know why, but they will not follow us into the cabin yard. Maybe it's because of the constant fire in the pit.

Owen
morning coffee
morning coffee
the main road
the main road
kids
kids
back woods lake trip
back woods lake trip

Dillio187
# Posted: 5 Aug 2013 11:07

what kind of tractor do you have Owen?

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 5 Aug 2013 15:38

I have a JD 4120 four wheel drive diesel, with several attachments, post hole digger, tiller, brush chopper, finish mower, loader. It's been great, but I'm not sure that a Kubota wouldn't be just as good. I've never been unhappy for buying it. One of the best buys I've ever made. I also bought a tilt bed 12' equipment trailer with it.
Got cought on game cam
Got cought on game cam

Dillio187
# Posted: 8 Aug 2013 12:21

ever do any for-hire work with it? I don't know if I'm going to get around to getting a tractor this year, but my driveway, clearing, and trails sure could use a day or two of work. Maybe we can work something out?

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 8 Aug 2013 21:42

It's hard to find more time, but maybe.

Dillio187
# Posted: 9 Aug 2013 09:07

haha, I understand. Let me know if you have a couple days free up and I will make it worth while.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 12 Aug 2013 08:28

Well I went to the cabin yesterday with the JD , loader and 5' finish mower. I was able to clean up the dam material from my trail and mow the pond edges. It's so nice to have it all back to beautiful.

O

trollbridge
# Posted: 12 Aug 2013 09:13

Love getting everything looking good again! Glad you had a day at the cabin

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 13 Aug 2013 08:16

Not all the trails are mowed yet. I think I need to spend more tinme there, but the best time of year is now here.

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 15 Aug 2013 09:32

Owen...I ask again , like I did on that foundation thread....who puts in 11 piers for a 14x14 shed!? I almost crapped myself when I saw someone suggest it! I am with you to put that thing on skids!

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 15 Aug 2013 09:49

Yeah, that's crazy. I'd rather put money into ceiling insulation. Skids are great as long as there's no center one.

trollbridge
# Posted: 15 Aug 2013 10:10

You wil get them all mowed, Owen. We need to do ours, too...if we can even find them anymore

Are you going this weekend?

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.