Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Bad idea to buy a partially finished (framed) cabin & land?
<< . 1 . 2 .
murphymunday
# Posted: 30 Jun 2015 16:22

fickle_serendipity You're so right! We could learn how to do it and would probably build it pretty well! Definitely something to keep in mind, even if we do parts of it, or all of it on a slower timeline. Worth another thought and conversation for sure. Thank you!

murphymunday
# Posted: 30 Jun 2015 16:24

creeky Good eye! The doors and windows are really wonderful! But yeah, just a shell, and yes, the exterior is just OK... maybe down the road we'll change it, who knows!

Power was pulled in from the street underground, but not tied to the house.

Thanks for the luck!! Will post updates and decisions as they come

fickle_serendipity
# Posted: 30 Jun 2015 16:47

You are welcome.

There are plenty of benefits to doing the work yourself. I like that it gives you more time to make decisions as to what you want, and time to notice how you are using the space. DYI also means you may get a little more creative with your finishes-some materials are more forgiving than others and also by doing for yourself you have set yourself up to already be capable of making other repairs or changes years down the road. You can always hire an electrician for wiring(and you may have to by code) or any other contractor needed.

Best of luck to you!

rayyy
# Posted: 30 Jun 2015 17:16 - Edited by: rayyy

I am sorry Murph but I guess upstate New York is a whole different world from your neck of the woods.$119,000 would buy you a very nice cabin, home or acreage up here.

creeky
# Posted: 1 Jul 2015 09:34

it is weird isn't rayyy. lots in my area are few and far between now. so a local builder drained some swamp and is selling acre and bit lots, electric at the front, from $80k.

makes 120 for the shell up, electric into the yard, a septic system that might be salvageable, lot cleared, permits pulled, etc. look reasonable.

now it ain't camp livin' creeky style. but we all have to make due with our sacrifices.

murphymunday
# Posted: 8 Jul 2015 09:26

Well, here's the latest : we decided it would be a great thing for us and now have an accepted offer! Currently moving forward with inspections and double-checking permitting and building regulations to make sure we can continue to finish it without surprises. Also checking with a couple contractors to quote it out to help us decide if we can move forward with that.

Thanks again for your input and advice!

littlehouseontheprarie
# Posted: 8 Jul 2015 09:28

Good luck on the purchase.I hope all goes well.

fickle_serendipity
# Posted: 8 Jul 2015 10:22

Congratulations! How exciting and I hope the only surprises are awesome ones!

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.