Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Bruce Peninsula - land clearing
. 1 . 2 . >>
trevoracus
# Posted: 4 Jul 2017 11:17

So I am brand new to everything about this life. I am basically bubbling with excitement. I have purchased some land in the North Bruce Peninsula (~12 acres) and am looking at trying to understand the costs of what I am in for over the next 5-10 years of my life.

I understanding asking for a cost on anything is like asking how long a piece of string is. Does anyone have an idea for the costs of work around this area?

My land does have a small driveway, I will be looking at extending that a bit further down, but other than that its a clean slate.

I guess I will start with having to clear a small portion of it say 100ft by 200ft to put cabin on. But if anyone can help with rough costs it would help a lot!

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 4 Jul 2017 12:38

I have heard the restrictions on the Bruce Penn is pretty strict, but doable. Lots of members in here from the area. Welcome aboard, you will have fun, you will learn a lot from just reading what others did, many in here is pro's also, some just rank amateurs like me, but built it like a pro because of their good help. They can steer you away from the typical pitfalls too.

When you do start, start you own thread, and document it from the very beginning. Pictures, text etc, and just keep adding as you do. I did the same, mine has been on 9 years now and counting. (my Project)

Kamn
# Posted: 4 Jul 2017 15:13 - Edited by: Kamn

Im between Apsley and Bancroft and Im taking the trees down for my clearing, then have a local with 4x4 backhoe come in to remove stumps and grade, then grade the gravel that will be delivered. His charge is $80/hour (plus float charge for bringing the backhoe out to my remote area) for machine work and Im looking at a weekend worth of work with him and his backhoe, then the charge for gravel which is around $400 to $475 a load (tri axle dump truck).....probably 3 or 4 loads
I don't know if that helps any but look and see who in the area can help with bigger machinery if needed, try to cut costs with doing some of the manual labour

Cheers

Just
# Posted: 4 Jul 2017 16:57

Read bushbunky,s thread all you need to know!!!
small cabins are not allowed in the bruce.
800sq ft mlnimum. 40 k must have septic .20k hate to say it but thats what they say.

trevoracus
# Posted: 4 Jul 2017 17:07

I have lurked and read BushBunkies great posts. It is what it is cost wise.

As of right now the minimum is 1000sqft might change down Toni think 760 or if the next bylaw goes through.

To be honest everyone I have dealt with has been extremely nice. Coming from the city I am waiting for the other shoe to drop

Just
# Posted: 4 Jul 2017 19:02

I hope you can do what you want . my gess price is about 50 $ a sq. ft. for materials only . Plus septic plus wiring plus water.. but its all
money well spent for a place of your own. The last one I built up that way was in 2000 640 sq. ft. . cost 32000 move in price..Congratulations on getting the land ..keep calm and work through the process..

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 4 Jul 2017 20:34

Good news, the movement is going to smaller homes, ie tiny homes, small footprint and its considered "green' and its probably just a matter of time, many areas will reduce the minimum size to allow this. I think if health concerns are the focus, if one has his running water and sanitation in the form is toilet and sink drains, then the size shouldn't be a concern.

bushbunkie
# Posted: 5 Jul 2017 23:37

Hey, you didn't buy the 12 acre lot on Spry rd did you?

trevoracus
# Posted: 6 Jul 2017 09:01

Quoting: bushbunkie
Hey, you didn't buy the 12 acre lot on Spry rd did you?

Close to it, but up a bit on the Bury Road. I will have to start a thread with the walk through. BB you have been an inspiration for me via this forum.

bushbunkie
# Posted: 6 Jul 2017 14:24

Im up at the cabin as we speak....just finally got my electrical rough in inspected and passed...what an awesome feeling. If you need some bush cleared talk to my neighbour bob tindall...does all the work around here...honest and reasonable with a great reputation..good guy to know for the future....happy to offer advice as you begin your cabin journey....the guys and gals on this site are great people.

bushbunkie
# Posted: 30 Dec 2017 17:22

Hey.....how’s is it going? Haven’t heard an update in awhile...hope all is well. We are headin up New Year’s Day.

trevoracus
# Posted: 31 Dec 2017 00:17 - Edited by: trevoracus

Yes, I have been shy lately!

It's been an interesting few months. I have been really lucky to have very amazing neighbors! But just haven't had enough time to do a lot of things that need to get done. Or rather there is a mountain of things to get done and a few weekends just doesn't cut it.

Given that I have only really been up there able to work for about 12 days since we got it. I have started extending our driveway a load of gravel at a time, have had some wonderful help with that.

I have cleared some land and constructed most of a shed to keep a few things like a hammer and some nails.

A few weeks ago before the snow I made it up to clear some of the timber slash that was all over the property.

I feel short of finishing the shed so the costco tarp roof will have to last this winter for now until it warms up and I can put down the shingles. But, given a few personal issues this year I am pretty content with what has gone down.

I am still extremely lucky to have a great group of people around me up there. Thankfully a few live close to me in town here too

Now the planning process starts for 2018. I am going to try to get up once the snow isnt so bad and try to clean up some more ground, work on extending the driveway and over the summer plan a long term spot and start picking away.

I am jealous of you going up and enjoying the weather up there! Get that fireplace cranked up!

I have attached the Shed as it is now.
Shed
Shed

bushbunkie
# Posted: 31 Dec 2017 08:58

Progress is looking good! Well done....winter will pass before you know it. If you ever need a driveway cleared call a Bob Tindall...does ours anD others on the road.

trevoracus
# Posted: 27 Jun 2018 12:32

So it has come to an end.

There was a complaint filled against my neighbor by someone and I got swept up in the bad blood and now I must remove my shed. Bylaws are bylaws and I was breaking them. Even though I wasn't staying in my shed it is considered a structure and cannot be there until my permanent structure is started.

Sad times. Ill be up this Canada day long weekend to start taking it down.

BushBunkie I wouldn't mind if you have any info or contacts to share on a long term plan, could you drop me a line? trevor AT mentis.ca

Wilbour
# Posted: 27 Jun 2018 16:03

Sorry for your loss Trevor...

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 28 Jun 2018 08:38

Do you plan on building a permanent structure? I mean, apply for the building permit, then its "started" and you can keep your shed. I dont know when your timeline was for a permanent structure, ie home or cabin.

Sorry to hear about that. Nice looking structure too. They are like nazis on that peninsula from what I have been reading on this forum, very strict.

Borrego
# Posted: 28 Jun 2018 10:48

Yeah, too bad, what a bunch of BS.....a man should be able to do what he wants on his own land......

PS - women too....

trevoracus
# Posted: 28 Jun 2018 14:18

Thanks for the kind thoughts. Wilbor made me laugh with the quip.

I will be seeing what options I have next week. We weren’t planning on building anything this quickly. But sometimes a push is what you need.

I’m a little sad as we never actually used the shed for camping, occupying, or anything other then a big toolbox to keep awkward tools(chainsaw, axe, etc)

Apparently this is still an infraction which I am at a bit of a loss.

Borrego
# Posted: 28 Jun 2018 16:05

Can you have the shed towed away and bring it back later when it's 'legal'?

bushbunkie
# Posted: 1 Jul 2018 23:25

Boy that sucks....I know someone who could probably move it for you if that would help.....that is really unfortunate that you got caught up in that mess...can you sell that shed vs taking it down??

bushbunkie
# Posted: 2 Jul 2018 07:49

Bob Tindall contractor on Spry rd....great guy...could move it for you if needed...just an fyi.

trevoracus
# Posted: 4 Jul 2018 16:44

Thanks Bush Bunkie, I actually know Bob through a different connection. And I can neither confirm nor deny that he is in this picture.

The shed has been removed from my property, parts of it have been removed for now so I am not under the gun from the MAN.

Next step is to start costing out and finding connections on building a legit 'cabin' in the north bruce. Or as some people call it a second house.
UP and away
UP and away

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 4 Jul 2018 17:30

Trevor, nice to see you were able to move it. Now suppose it was set on its side. It wouldn't be a structure, just a storage spot for a structure. Is there a rule on storage of your own personal items there? Once cabin is built, then set it back upright. Hey, think like a lawyer.

Glad you got it resolved. Sad story for sure. I wonder when cabins will be phased out all together (outlawed) by local jurisdictions? I know they are squeezing out requiring full septics, no woodstoves in some areas, minimum square footage, we all know a smaller footprint is better for environment and small or tiny houses are becoming the in thing too.

bushbunkie
# Posted: 4 Jul 2018 22:55

Hey Trevor, Brian Shear built the shell for our place...very reasonable and didn't cut any corners thats for sure. I can email you and share some info if you want wnen I get back...if that helps...At the cabin on Spry all this week for holidays.

trevoracus
# Posted: 8 Jul 2018 11:16

Thanks BushBunkie, that would be great! Enjoy the weekend, looks like it has been great weather.

zman
# Posted: 22 Jan 2019 11:21

Hi Trevoracus and Bushbunkie

Would either of you mind if I contacted you regarding some information as I recently purchased a piece of land in the Bruce

trevoracus
# Posted: 22 Jan 2019 11:49

zman
Yup Trevor (at) mentis.ca

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 22 Jan 2019 17:49

Sorry to hear about your shed. I missed this post because I was at my cabin.
Even though we bought in a unorginized township we were not allowed to build a shed unless we were going to build our primary structure within six months.

This made our trips up there every summer very difficult. We camped on our property for 25 years before we built our cabin. This means we had to haul all our gear up there back and forth and across a border.

There was no way we were going to live in a shed. It is really ridiculous some of the laws. This was before drones but they do fly overs checking for violations.
This in a place with a very low population. No neighbors nearby.
I will never understand the reasoning behind this. All I can say is that the crazy law made our lives very stressful and difficult.

trevoracus
# Posted: 5 Jun 2019 16:51

So I spent most of the winter reading Ontario Building Codes, going over bylaws and getting familiar with a software program.

I managed to build my own plans and get them approved! It was a bit daunting in reading how much supports you need, window sizing, etc. But with some help from a friend or two and a lot of research I was able to do it.

The township people were a great help and I made it through with just a few things I overlooked (new requirement to have a electric vehicle hookup outside).

So now I am starting on clearing and we will see. I may not be able to do it as fast as I would like, but I am going to try over the summer.

I managed to get my shed back so I have somewhere to store the tools I need to clear the land and start prepping.

If I end up having to renew my permit in 6 months because I wasn't able too, then I guess thats how it goes. But, I do feel like I am working towards a thing. Even though I am a owner builder and time isnt on my side it seems worth all the paperwork now.

KelVarnsen
# Posted: 6 Jun 2019 07:55

Quoting: trevoracus
So I spent most of the winter reading Ontario Building Codes, going over bylaws and getting familiar with a software program.

I managed to build my own plans and get them approved!

Congratulations. I'm sure that was a lot of work and it is a huge accomplishment. Best of luck with your build. I love the Bruce!

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.