Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / New build - central SK
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 .
Crake
# Posted: 3 Jul 2023 11:07 - Edited by: Crake

May 2023 - continued

I carved out a decent cavity in the styrofoam surrounding the stovepipe and stuffed in some fiberglass matting. I closed up the cavity with a sheet of tin. Should keep the heat well away from the insulation and wood.

Didn't have quite enough wood this trip. The back wall of the cabin will have to wait until next trip...
Stove jack
Stove jack
Door wall
Door wall

Crake
# Posted: 3 Jul 2023 11:09 - Edited by: Crake

May 2023 - continued

A lot of boiling clouds on one of several quad trips back and forth. Only a few brief showers though...

Here's where I ended up. Probably about 75% of the interior is done. I may install some trim in the corners and I am going to ultimately verathane the interior once its done (and I have a nice couple days on the land to let it all dry...

I finished up just as the sun was going down. Lit some candles and had a relaxing evening polishing off leftover whiskey and some peace and quiet... I cooked a pot of portable potato & onion soup over the G-Stove and let the fire burn well into the evening. I had to leave the door open a crack as it really cranks out the heat in this small space!

The fire eventually burned down and I woke around 4:00 as it was starting to lighten up outside. I think I'll knock down the G-Stove in the summer months as it's not really necessary this time of year. I have a solid-fuel Esbit stove for small cook jobs and there's always the firepit outside.

After breakfast I spent some time exploring on the land. There are about a dozen old elk/moose beds scattered all around a stone's throw from the cabin. Apparently I seemed to have set up in the nexus of all the game trails in this area...

I spent the rest of the afternoon repairing fence lines and scratching myself bloody on barbed wire. The fence needs a lot of work. I inherited a bunch of posts and enough wire to lasso the quarter section if I wanted. I'll probably work primarily on the north and west boundaries as these border on pasture land, while the south and east boundaries are crop and wildlife lands. Sounds like work for another weekend, however... I cut my trip short after I realized all my whiskey and food was gone... Until next time!

"Crake"
Spring cabin
Spring cabin
Spring showers
Spring showers
Out of wood
Out of wood
Evening rest
Evening rest

Crake
# Posted: 3 Jul 2023 11:23 - Edited by: Crake

June 2023

Passing through on my way up north for a work assignment, I realized I'd have 2 extra hours of free time, so I figured I'd make a quick pit stop/coffee break...

I hiked to the cabin from the south access trail in about 15 minutes and brewed up a cup of instant coffee on the Espit stove. There's a few mosquitoes and a lot of ticks. Picked about a dozen off my pants waiting for the water to boil...

Things sure have greened up since May. The land is still pretty spongy and wet this time of year and VERY lush. Not used to seeing it in the summer. The bears keep sniffing around - I see they've ripped down my "no trespassing" signs. They are obsessed with pulling down my fold-up sink on the back of the cabin to see if anything is inside, and tore off my lantern shelf off the front of the cabin.... nothing I can't fix easily - it's more amusing than anything. Fortunately they can't get any purchase on the door and the window is pretty secure (plexiglass) so I don't think they'll crack my little walnut quite yet...

Next trip I plan to put up a cellular trail camera to see if I can catch these characters at work.

"Crake"
Morning coffee
Morning coffee
Cup
Cup
Summer cabin
Summer cabin

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.