Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / 10 x 12 small cabin
. 1 . 2 . >>
swanugly
# Posted: 16 Aug 2008 22:08

we got a good start on our cabin .
we built a 10 x 12 lean-to with a 6 x 12 porch , the porch was not in the plans for this year buit i ordered more wood than i needed , we bought some more tin for the roof and 2-4x4s and one extra day we had a porch (no floor in the porch yet)
we built it on skids on top of some flat concrete blocks (scrounged from the dump). its on an old gravel road bed . we had to dig off about 2" of dirt to get to the original road bed . it seems to drain good but we will see next summer how much it moved with the frost.

we filled in the bottom so we could insulate between the floor joist .

we cut the plywood so the rafters would fit tight , we later ran some sealer around to try to keep the critters out . the holes are for ventilation , they have screen over them .

primer , then paint ( mocha treat)

we framed the window opening but did not cut the plywood till we see if it stays safe .

we slept in it for 2 nights , it was a little cold so the next plans are for insulation and heat .

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 17 Aug 2008 11:08 - Edited by: CabinBuilder

Very nice small cabin!
Thanks for sharing.

Installing insulation under the floor is a good idea.
I did not insulate my cabin (was trying to save on cost), and now somewhat regret about it.

It is not bad idea to wait for the cabin to settle before installing windows.
BTW, what are you planning for the windows? Some pre-made?

swanugly
# Posted: 17 Aug 2008 13:03

the front window will have to have to be an opening type with screens so i am not sure what we will do yet . i framed the opening to a standard size . we are going to put one window in the back and one in the end as well (small ones), i think i will make those myself .

we would have had gutters as well but the local builders supply only had brown and we wanted white . i will order them before i go up next time . we want to collect and use the the rain water.

we had fun building it and have all ready started planning next years additions to it . windows , shutters , trim , battens , inner , paneling , porch floor , but most important heat . it all depends on the bank account .

this is a great site and forum i have spent hours here reading and getting ideas before starting to build

soundandfurycabin
# Posted: 19 Aug 2008 16:18

Nice job! It looks like you tacked some strips to the bottom of the joists. Did you drop in some pegboard or something else to hold the insulation up and keep the critters out?

Frank

swanugly
# Posted: 19 Aug 2008 21:37 - Edited by: swanugly

Quoting: soundandfurycabin
Nice job! It looks like you tacked some strips to the bottom of the joists. Did you drop in some pegboard or something else to hold the insulation up and keep the critters out?

thanks
ya, i used plywood and ripped into narrow strips and nailed it to the bottom of the joist before putting the joists onto the skids . then cut plywood to fit in between the joists aafter they were in place .
i had quite a discussion with some builders (as i am no carpenter )about ventilation in the bottom plywood and some said don,t ventilate the bottom sheating and some said yes ventilate . but all of them did say to use some sort of wood , not partical or pressboard as it will eventualy crumble . i just laid the plywood in there loosely then laid the insulation on top . it is a dryer climate . i think it will be ok as the bottom of the cabin is open for the air to flow through .
only time will tell.

Anonymous
# Posted: 22 Aug 2008 11:06

Can I ask each of you (Brian and Swanugly) what picth ratio did you use for the roof?
Thanks

swanugly
# Posted: 22 Aug 2008 20:52

mine is close to 3' in 12' ( but not quite ). minimun sugested by the manyfacture was 3 in 12

Anonymous
# Posted: 29 Aug 2008 00:30

I suggest ridgid foam insulation so the field mice & other varmits don't nest in it.

BTW, GREAT work!! That looks super.

Joe

swanugly
# Posted: 2 Oct 2008 00:35

just got back after a week at the cabin . wiring , insulation, d-grade for the inside ( gonna paint and trim it next year ) .

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 2 Oct 2008 14:41

Looks like you had a very productive week...
Great work.

marv
# Posted: 8 Oct 2008 17:22

Where is this located? Is this the first project you have built?

swanugly
# Posted: 8 Oct 2008 20:28

its in the interiour of bc canada .
i am a autobody repairman by trade but have been a home owner for years , doing my own repairs, rennos , and small projects , sort of a jack of all trades master of none .

cizzi
# Posted: 12 Oct 2008 18:21

did you put sheets of plywood under your insulation in your floor? or else the insulation would fall under the cabin foundation?

swanugly
# Posted: 12 Oct 2008 22:35

yes , the bottom of the floor joists are sheeted in solid .

before laying down the floor joist i nailed stipps of plywood on each one , the strips have about an inch sticking out each side of the joist .. i then flipped the joist over and nailed them to the 4x4 skids . once all the floorjoist were in place i cut 3/8 plywood to fit in between the joist and rest on the strips , its basicly solid with no holes big enough for rodents to get in ( unless they chew through .

i was going to use pegboard but was told not to because it is made up of fiber and would eventualy fall apart .

oregondiy
# Posted: 19 Feb 2009 00:54

Can't tell from your pics for sure, but does your insulation you used have a vapor barrier (paper facing)?
If it does it looks like you put your insulation in backwards. The vapor barrier should be towards the warm side, the inside of the cabin.

swanugly
# Posted: 19 Feb 2009 01:02

no paper on the insulation , just plain both sides . i stapled plastic vaper barrier on all the inside surfaces before putting the inside plywood on .

Moontreeranch
# Posted: 22 Mar 2009 11:07

Looks like your using a honda ultra quiet generator...1000 or 2000...any trouble running a big cicular saw with that?

wonderin about my 12amp worm drive and a small unit like that..I hae not picked up the generator yet...wondering if the 2000 can supply those big loads.

swanugly
# Posted: 9 Apr 2009 23:19 - Edited by: swanugly

Quoting: Moontreeranch

Looks like your using a honda ultra quiet generator...1000 or 2000...any trouble running a big cicular saw with that?

wonderin about my 12amp worm drive and a small unit like that..I hae not picked up the generator yet...wondering if the 2000 can supply those big loads.

ower 1000 watt honda generator does not power the circular saw very well . i had to start the saw running and go real slow or it would trip the breaker . i did manage to get all the plywood cut but a 2000 honda would do the job no problem . the little mitre saw is only 8 amps , i used that lots with no problems . we use the little honda lots but we don,t usualy have big electric needs . very good generators and quiet

swanugly
# Posted: 9 Apr 2009 23:26

ooh i should mention the 1000 honda only burns 2 litres of fuel in about 8hrs . is cheep to run

old ugly
# Posted: 22 Aug 2009 13:56

we just got back from the shack . the cabin was in the same shape as we left it . the neighbours stopped by and brought some veggys and had a visit . sunny and hot it was real nice .

i added the window and trim , a shutter on the window , a screen door . and i made some shelfs and trim for the inside . now it looks like a cabin . we slept in it the whole time , it was great . i should have taken some pics of the inside . i am going back in the fall to ad the little wood stove , i will try to remember the photos .

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 22 Aug 2009 14:46

Thanks for the update - this is a nice looking cabin!

Any plans for ground covering in front of the cabin? (I see you have plywood sheets or something for now...)

swanugly
# Posted: 23 Aug 2009 21:08

yup it is some leftover plywood that was kicking around but i would like to run some preasure treated boards there and make a bit of a deck but that will have to wait for a while as i was told the next project is a little raft to swim from . the shore line at the lake is lakegrass and cattails we don,t want to disturb it to much because the wild life comes in rite in front (ducks , heron , helldivers , ospray , loons , eagles , beaver ).
it was so hot there this year andwe really needed to go for a swim but the shower had to do .

here is a pic of about 12 canada gease ,there were about 20 in all . rite infront of the cabin . 2 pics one without the gease

jarvis385@yahoo .com
# Posted: 26 Sep 2009 20:13

hey, great job on the camp. my wife and I just built a 10x12 camp but not realy by choice on that but we needed a place to stay with ower dogs and no one wants to rent to us and we wouldnt get rid of them for the world. so on a tight realy tight budget we build owers out of some scrap wood from tearing down a old moble home and and spent some money but every day that goes by in the camp the more and more we love it. but good job.

swanugly
# Posted: 27 Sep 2009 12:50

thanks
10x12 is pretty small to live in but it can be done . ours has a full size bed that does not fold up but if the bed was out of the way i think it would be quite livable for an extended lenth of time . our cabin is for summer use and maybe a day or two in the fall/winter so we are living outside most of the time .
did you enter some pics for us ?

paulsonlaw
# Posted: 25 Dec 2009 08:16

Very nice job! How is it anchored? You may consider some mobile home ties down anchors outside of the corners so the heads 12" down then attach the cables to eye bolts. This can all be done in the ground hidden & only cost you about $60 for all of it. Good Cabin!

flatwater
# Posted: 29 Dec 2009 22:14

Nice cabin. We have a 2000 Honda generator and it runs most of my power equipment. I did have to watch what air compressor I bought though. A 2500 or 3000 would have served me better. Nice location also.

Anonymous
# Posted: 4 Jun 2010 20:26

Any new pictures?????????????

nathanprincipe
# Posted: 7 Jul 2010 22:30

Hi, new here, Your cabin was exicuted well, I can tell alot of detail went into the plan

swanugly
# Posted: 5 Aug 2010 12:41

thanks for the comments . we are going up to the cabin this week and hope to get some photos .
major forest fires in the interior of bc rite now . thank goodness non are real close to us . but im sure it will be smoky .
i have a 1000 watt generator and it does everything we need , the cirular saw is the only thing that i have that has a hard time but i did cut every thing with it just slowly . the 2000 watt would be better for sure. hondas are very quiet spent a bit more but it was worth it .
the cabin is not anchored , just held down by god and gravity .

Gary O
# Posted: 5 Aug 2010 19:18 - Edited by: Gary O

swanugly, I sure like what you've done there.
After we built our 10 x 12 cabin last summer, we discovered that fires (as you mentioned awhile back) is the one thing to be concerned with. We had one erupt about a half mile from our place. So glad the wide was blowing in our favor.

Here some pix
Not too comfy to see the smoke from your site......
fire.JPG
fire.JPG

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.