Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Tennessee Log Cabin
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 .
AU2009
# Posted: 29 Jun 2014 10:43 - Edited by: AU2009

Where the permachink was put on heavy enough, it sealed fine. If I was living in this cabin full time I would want it sealed up better.

The thing about the permachink is that it looks like in some spots it has melted with the heat and the foam has pushed out thin spots of the permachink as logs further settled. It's also hard to patch.

Right now it's more of a cosmetic issue/pet peeve. However, we will have to figure something out down the road.

I recently moved and my dad and I don't get the time up there like we used to when I was close. He is close to retirement so I imagine a lot will get addresses then.

Smawgunner
# Posted: 29 Jun 2014 11:45

I'm so jealous, Our cabin is so far from being livable. Looking back so far, do you have any regrets with your build? It looks top notch!

AU2009
# Posted: 30 Jun 2014 08:53 - Edited by: AU2009

I can't say there is anything major that we regret. We would have loved to out in a nicer floor and ceiling, but it was more of a budget issue. I do wish we would have made the front porch a little wider and maybe a wrap around.

It also would have been nice to loft it. We could still do this and literally just have a sleeping loft with enough room to lay down. However it's plenty of space for 4 people. We have never had more than 3 up there.

We still have other plans. Underpinning and hearth going in a few months. Install our water pump, I need to reconfigure the water/gutter intake, it's really hard to clean out right now.

We also have an old log barn that is about to fall in we plan on using the logs to build an addition off the back for a bedroom/bathroom.

After the rock work gets done this fall and our water system is improved then we will be done for quite a while. The addition is a long term project. The only other looming concern is the chinking but it's not really bothering anything. If we lived up there full time it would be, but nothing is getting wet and critters aren't getting in.

AU2009
# Posted: 28 Jun 2018 10:54 - Edited by: AU2009

It has been a very long time since I last updated my thread!

It has been 7 years since we first built our cabin. What started out to be a shelter is quickly becoming an obsession!

We began with no intention of electricity, and then came the generator. Then came wiring the cabin to eliminate tripping over extension cords.

We have added a kitchen, wood stove, TV with OTA atenna (even a roku!), finished the underpinning.

We added a pump to our water system to improve head pressure, brought in a DIY composting port-o-jon, and so on and so on.

One thing comfort from home we really wanted was hot water. Our initial plan was to build an outdoor shower house and use an ecotemp to take a shower and collect hot water for the kitchen.

That project escalated quickly, I have decided to do an addition onto the cabin, where we will be completing out a fully functional bathroom/bunk/storage room, and all chinking is being replaced after a long debate with the installer.

Anyways, I plan to be more diligent about updating my thread. SCF has been a great resource for me over the years!

AU2009
# Posted: 28 Jun 2018 10:59 - Edited by: AU2009

AU2009
# Posted: 28 Jun 2018 11:00 - Edited by: AU2009

AU2009
# Posted: 28 Jun 2018 11:04

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.