Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / 12 x 16 on a hilltop in Ohio
<< 1 ... 18 . 19 . 20 . 21 . 22 . 23 . 24 . 25 . 26 . 27 . 28 . >>
SE Ohio
# Posted: 12 Dec 2013 19:50

Not to get on off on too much of a tangent, but there is a great urban legend that Ohio Dept Nat Resources (ODNR) parachuted rattlesnakes (from helicopters no less) into southeast Ohio in order for them to eat turkey eggs!

Mike 870
# Posted: 12 Dec 2013 21:26

I have enjoyed reading about your cabin. I've been trying to buy some land in southern Ohio for about 8 years now but for one reason or another it has never worked out. It's great to see so many other people on this forum in Ohio with the same dream.

Sarg68
# Posted: 13 Dec 2013 06:22

OOB,
I'm sorry for creating such a stir on your forum page over fawn eating coyotes. LOL! Any way, I too have heard it was an urban legion and do know that they have been living in other parts of Ohio for a long time. But for some strange reason they have greatly increased in numbers and are now heavy in SEO an area that previously had not seen many.
When was the first time you saw one in SEO? Growing up in the SEO region I practically spent every waking moment of my youth in the woods until I departed for the military in 86 and never seen one. My father-in-law a farmer never seen one. So what pushed them into our region?
I was driving past the new OUZ science building under construction on SR146 two weeks ago and saw one running across the parking lot.
What do we do start hunting them?
OOB thanks for sharing your forum about your cabin with us for this discussion. I'm curious as a retired OHP officer out on the road a lot when did you first see a coyote?
Cheers Sarg68

Sarg68
# Posted: 13 Dec 2013 06:44

Currently in the Philippines the USAF air dropped 6 million dollars worth of dead rats laced with poison to eradicate a snake problem they have at one of our air bases. So that is a possibility there. How ever like the coyote that species of rattle snake is indigenous to SEO. SIDE BAR
(Move any more of these conversations over to my forum please before OOB has me arrested.) LOL Sarg68

old old buddy
# Posted: 13 Dec 2013 17:12

Sarg68
I answered your question on your forum. OOB

old old buddy
# Posted: 13 Dec 2013 17:15

Mike 870
Thanks for the comments Mike. I wish you the best of luck in finding something....someday. I'm 63 and I didn't get started on this until I was near 60, so.........depending on your age, hopefully, you have plenty of time left to find a piece of ground and get started.

Old Old Buddy

Kudzu
# Posted: 14 Dec 2013 08:01

Just be glad you don't have coyotes and wild hogs. I have plenty of yotes, but no hogs yet. It is only a matter of time before I have hogs and they are very destuctive.

pfireproof
# Posted: 15 Dec 2013 07:07

Old buddy, can't be too far from you. We are out of Logan toward New Straightsville
image.jpg
image.jpg

old old buddy
# Posted: 15 Dec 2013 09:00

pfireproof
Yea....you're a good ways from us. We are in Jefferson County about twenty miles north of Wheeling, WV. I have been to Logan and it has to be close to three hours from here...maybe a little less. I use to live in Marietta and I remember that Logan was a fair drive from there. It take about an 90 minutes to get to Marietta from here.

Anyway....I like your cabin. Did you build it or is an Amish shed that they construct on site? It looks like about 24X32 without the overhang...just a guess. I like the color of it.

Thanks for your response. Let me know if we're talking about the same Logan. Isn't it close to Hocking Scenic Railroad?

Old Old Buddy

pfireproof
# Posted: 15 Dec 2013 15:32

Yep, same Logan. Had it built on site, not Amish, but the same barn. It's a 16X24. I have a solar panel for led lighting, wood burner, Mr. Heater for those not so cold days. Two 40 lb. propane tanks and stove top in the counter. 50 gal. Rain barrel with a RV pump on a sink inside. My son did the interior.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

old old buddy
# Posted: 16 Dec 2013 05:57

pfireproof
It's bautiful! Have you had it long? Is it close to your home? Your driveway appears that it has been there for at least a few years.
Your interior really looks cabiny! Your son did an excellent job.

Old Old Buddy

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 16 Dec 2013 07:23

That looks great! I love the log furniture. Is that couch just a couch or is it a futon?

pfireproof
# Posted: 16 Dec 2013 12:21

The cabin got finished in the spring of 2012. I live in Grove City and the cabin is in Logan about an hour and twenty. My property is beyond the end of a dead end road so there are no roads around it, just in the woods. You have to cross a field then cross a bridge that we made from a tractor trailer decked with 3" thick oak, then I had gravel brought in from the bridge to what you see in the picture. The log couch is not a futon.

old old buddy
# Posted: 16 Dec 2013 17:38

pfireproof
Small world....my daughter/her husband and two kids live in Grove City also. Old Old Buddy

pfireproof
# Posted: 17 Dec 2013 08:26

Wow, it really is a small world. We don't live right in town, we live just south of Grove City off 665, but still have a Grove City address.

Salty Craig
# Posted: 17 Dec 2013 20:47

pfireproof
I love the flag. Brother.

Salty Craig

Smawgunner
# Posted: 17 Dec 2013 22:10

Funny...I've got the same flag on my cabin.

pfireproof
# Posted: 19 Dec 2013 06:57

That is the only flag I fly these days.

Sarg68
# Posted: 25 Dec 2013 05:58

OOB and Family,
I hope that you folks are enjoying your holiday season together and you guy will get a chance to get up on top the hill. Thank you for the friendship we have started in 2013 on this forum. I look forward to more conversations with you and your family in 2014 and a possibility to meet up for lunch one of these days. Merry Christmas to you and yours, Sarg68

old old buddy
# Posted: 25 Dec 2013 13:48

Sarg68
Thank you and we wish the same back to your family. I had the week-end off as well as Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday (today) but I came home from work Friday early with the flu bug. It was like a 24 hour thing that had me calling for Ralph about four times before I was done

I was weak for the next three days but felt real good yesterday and today. Back to work tomorrow. Naturally...there was no time for the cabin which is a first since the winter of 2010. I really miss it when I'm not there at least once every week or so. I'm planning on going up this Saturday and maybe spend the night...we'll see.

I hope that your family has a happy, healthy, prosperous new year!
I'd be happy to meet with you sometime for a bite to eat. Stay in touch. OOB

Son of Old Old Buddy
# Posted: 26 Dec 2013 08:34 - Edited by: Son of Old Old Buddy

Merry Christmas Folks and have a Happy New Year. It has been a good year for my family. I had to change jobs three times, but finally got the job I wanted...just hoping I can transfer back closer to home soon. I commute 162 miles a day, five times a week from home with tues/weds off. When I get my transfer the commute will only be 64 miles a day, plus every other weekend off.

We did not do hardly anything to the cabin this year ever since I have been working weekends. Never got the painting finished, never got any wood cut...but we haven't been up there as much as we usually are. Like I said, when I can transfer back close to home, I look forward to spending more time up there again. It's just hard to plan to do anything when OOB has weekends off and I do not.

I've had a sour taste in my mouth ever since our air conditioner was stolen...but I can't let that ruin our future cabin memories. We took everything home that was worth stealing except the wood burner...if that ever comes up missing, I'll really be hot. lol I always pray just before I see the cabin from the four wheeler or truck, that it's all intact and not in ash. I'll keep praying.

We did stay for opening day for gun season this year...saw some does and a convoy of turkeys. I'm still sick over the Big Boy I missed two years ago. With all the mining that has went on around our area, I have little faith we'll ever see another big one. A lot of habitat is gone. I'm still greatful for what we have though. The kids like seeing whatever is there. As long as we can shoot the long guns, I'll be happy. That is my first love...not hunting.

Anyways, since I'm in a better paying job and Big Red is getting older, I think it's time for us to build at least two wooden box blinds on different ends of the property w/ propane heat and possibly build another 8x16 room opposite the other one on the cabin. I told OOB we need to have a dedicated kitchen area with more couches/chairs in the main room of the cabin. lol He always says as long as I'm paying, I can do whatever I want. lol As far as the box blinds go, there is something to be said for sitting in a dry, windproof, heated shelter when you're hunting...if you want to call that hunting. The nice thing about those type of blinds is that everyone can move a little bit, can talk a little, and stay warm and dry. Hunting out of such places has ruined me. lol

Anyways, I look forward to another good year and hope you all have one as well. Here's to all of us spending more time at the cabins and getting done what needs done. Are they ever really done? talk to you all later. God Bless, Old Buddy

Sarg68
# Posted: 27 Dec 2013 06:45

OOB and OB,
OOB I'm sorry to hear you had that bug that's been going around, my son that lives over by Cincinnati had the same thing at the same time. He just felt well enough Christmas day to get out into the tree stand and do some bow hunting.
OB, I know what you mean about saying a prayer just before you see the cabin. I have never been robbed and I still do it. Like everything else in life you just have to look forward and enjoy what is ahead of you. This cabin life style brings a lot of joy and good memories for us and our families. I told your dad one time my 21 year old told me one night sitting around the camp fire at the cabin "dad this is the best thing you've ever did buying this place"! That's what makes it a legacy to be enjoyed by their great great grandkids.
I get the Rhino lining sprayed into the bed of the new truck on Jan 9th so I guess the following week I will hall the first load of gravel down to the cabin for the two path. I think that's what they call it up north when you put gravel only in the tire tracks.
I sure hope that you gentleman get out to the cabin soon before you lose your minds. Take care Sarg68

SE Ohio
# Posted: 27 Dec 2013 07:48

Old old buddy,

Possibly same virus got me right before/at Youth Deer Hunt, so didn't make it to our Vinton Co cabin that weekend, and my boys didn't get to hunt. It was a diet plan in more ways than one- lost weight, no venison.

S.o.o.o.b (and I mean this abbreviation in the nicest possible way), I too have the same trepidation each time we approach our cabin. Will the door be intact? Windows too? The first one to the cabin calls out the status to the rest of us who are unloading the vehicle.

I have to admit I find some solace in thinking of ways to mess with the thieves. I had a bike with deflated tires and locked up stolen from under my cabin. The thief had to crawl under to get it. I have since found a trash-night bike with bent wheels. That will get locked up under the cabin next, with a lock that'll make him work to get past it. Once he gets the bike free, he'll figure out he worked for a useless bike, or so I hope. Anyway, the thought of the guy crawling around in the dirt bumping his head and skinning his knuckles for nothing makes me grin

I hope Santa brought you a trail camera or two for the entry road...

old old buddy
# Posted: 27 Dec 2013 17:53

SE Ohio
I understand what your thinking by possibly leaving the old bent-wheeled bike under the cabin but my concern would be, they would think to themselves "Oh...he thinks he really outsmarted us on this bicycle....let's just burn the cabin down and see who gets the last laugh."

I swear......that's why we don't lock anything. The door is unlocked (except when we're there) and the windows are all unlocked too. If I see the door open when we get there....I start getting a quezzy feeling in my stomach. It's happened twice but nothing was missing??
I figured we just didn't latch the door securely when we left the last time.

Anyway...we haven't had anything taken in about four months so we're keeping our fingers crossed.

Old Old Buddy

pfireproof
# Posted: 29 Dec 2013 09:27

Went to the crib this weekend. They said no rain for Sunday but that changed real quick, so we came home early.
Two weeks ago when I went hunting, I noticed truck tire tracks all around my fields and foot prints to my buddy stand. No tracks to the cabin so all is good, however when I know someone has trust passed on me , blood shoots out of my eyeballs. Next project, gate and split rail fence so at least vehicles can't make it back to my property. Land minds come next.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Smawgunner
# Posted: 29 Dec 2013 10:34

It's frustrating...i found a recent beer can waaaay up on the ridge smack in the middle of our 84 acres this weekend. I'm in the process of trying to find some cheap trail cams to set up. That is the first time I've had proof of trespassers in the 8 months we've owned it.

old old buddy
# Posted: 29 Dec 2013 16:05

Smawgunner
I hate to say this but I think it's only going to get worse.....everywhere!

Old Old Buddy

Smawgunner
# Posted: 29 Dec 2013 17:33

Down turn economy + urban sprawl + popularity in hunting +popularity in ATVs....you're probably right.

a_pyrkin
# Posted: 30 Dec 2013 01:30

I thought it was just a Russian problem. It turned out that not ... Sympathize ... We are having stealing freaks from villages nearby mainly. Fortunately, most of them are so stupid that scared tablets "surveillance", "protected" and so on. And also different blinking LEDs on cabins ...

Sarg68
# Posted: 30 Dec 2013 06:26

OOB,
I put up signs made out of steel that say 24 hour video surveillance. I have weighed the option of adding internet link to the camera that over looks the front door of the cabin but haven't went that far yet. Same goes with insurance on the cabin property. Its got enough value to be worth something to me but not enough to pay the mob (insurance company) to watch over it. I like a_pyrkin idea of blinking LED lights like we have in the dash board of our cars. That's a really good idea. There are a lot of things we need to look at that tips off the bad guy to where we are located too. Gates, roads, power lines roof lines, all of these things tell someone driving down the road that we live there and no one is home. I'm sure none of this is new to our generation its happened to the cabin lover around the world off and on over time. I remember about ten years ago I went to a cabin in the woods but close to the Muskingum river that belonged to a friend of my fathers and he had a home made shed that was like a fortress that he kept tools and other loss end secured in while he wasn't there.
As you guys know I recently I got my new truck stuck in the mud. Well in order to over come the lack of 4x4 drive I am going to have to put in a two track so that my truck my dads trucks that are 2WD can get into the cabin. Well that also means that people can see that something is located there so I will have to add a gate and a shed. Never ending battle of money.
Good luck to all of you in the New Year at finding peace mind and security at your cabins. Cheers Sarg68

<< 1 ... 18 . 19 . 20 . 21 . 22 . 23 . 24 . 25 . 26 . 27 . 28 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.