Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / 12 x 16 on a hilltop in Ohio
<< 1 ... 18 . 19 . 20 . 21 . 22 . 23 . 24 . 25 . 26 . 27 . 28 . >>
old old buddy
# Posted: 23 Mar 2015 02:09

We haven't been to our cabin since December. OOB, Big Red, and myself have gotten ourselves into another hobby since my parents moved from their place in town to the country. OOB and myself own about 12 antique tractors now. We're hoping to do some antique tractor pulls maybe we this year. I won't lie they have been a lot of fun so far. However...they are not a substitute for our hilltop cabin. lol My parents place still needs some work, I just got a garage built and it needs some finishing work. I wonder when we'll have time to go finish our deer blind. Heck, I'd still like to build a porch off of the left side of the cabin. I have missed this site and talking with you guys as well. I'll have to try to post some pics of the tractors pretty soon. Talk to you guys soon.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 23 Mar 2015 06:06 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

OOB....glad to hear from you Guys!!!! things we like /hobbies / things we collect ...change in LIFE~~~~
old tractor's are cool....looking forward to the pic's of them.

I have a ole Massy Ferguson 35 ( 3 cyl Perkins diesel) made in the early 60's...... that I use on the farm and cabin. Still runs GREAT!!!! It had been semi restored when I got it 5 years ago.

old old buddy
# Posted: 23 Mar 2015 11:04

Here is our pride and joy...my 1953 Farmall Super M, Old Old Buddy's 1947 Farmall M, and Big Red's Farmall Super MTA pedal tractor. We have the sickness...bad! lol
53 Super M
53 Super M
IMG_20140901_1951545.jpg
IMG_20140901_1951545.jpg
IMG_20150309_1822096.jpg
IMG_20150309_1822096.jpg

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 23 Mar 2015 11:28

those are so nice....I can see ya'll have the tricycle tractor bug for sure!!!!!...those old farmall's are GREAT pieces of history of farming!!!

rwoods
# Posted: 23 Mar 2015 18:16

I have a 1941 Farmall A that I have been tinkering with for a couple of years now what a classic

Smawgunner
# Posted: 23 Mar 2015 21:48

I don't have any room for one but always thought those were the coolest damn things! Yours is a nice one!

Mike 870
# Posted: 27 Mar 2015 21:36

Nice, I have been working on an Oliver super 55 myself. Really enjoy working on it.

old old buddy
# Posted: 31 May 2015 15:43

Well....we finally made it back to the cabin yesterday, since December 2, 2014. I am almost ashamed to admit that it has been that long but last year was a definite ass-kicker!

We completely moved to our present location which took about five months...all told. We have five acres to mow, which started my interest in tractors....to say the least. Old Buddy lent me his John Deere LA165 forth eight inch gas mower. We bought a new John Deere 1025R sixty inch cut Diesel Tractor for my wife with a loader bucket which is rated at 800 pound lift. Then I got the itch of antique tractors. I have since bought a '47 Farmall M, another Farmall M, Farmall Cub (with a sixty inch Woods mower), a Farmall Super H, an Allis Chalmers WD-45 pulling tractor with wheelie bars, a 1949 Oliver Row Crop 77, a 1949-53 Oliver Row Crop 88, a garden size 1950 Pennsylvania Tractor and inherited a Ford 8N tractor and a second Farmall Cub from my father's collection from about 40 years ago. Four of these tractors are pretty nice and two of them are absolutely beautiful. I believe the Oliver Row Crop 88 is the prettiest!

Anyway...the tractors kept me away from the cabin as well as waiting for the new 32X56 garage to be built took a long time. But....yesterday Old Buddy, Tristin and I made the trek up to the cabin to check things out. It did not appear to have been molested by anyone. If they were in it....we couldn't tell.

I love the smell of the cabin. It's one of those smells you never forget. I was glad there were no dead wasps or LIVE ones. There were about twenty dead lady bugs on the counter-top. We encountered a downpour and the rain beat on the tin and I was happy that it was drier than a pop corned fart inside! Old Buddy and I vowed to not wait more than a few weeks before we return. I have to admit....winter is my favorite time to visit/stay at the cabin. I really missed it. We will return! Hope everything is going well with all you other cabin folks!
Old Old Buddy

old old buddy
# Posted: 31 May 2015 15:44

Well....we finally made it back to the cabin yesterday, since December 2, 2014. I am almost ashamed to admit that it has been that long but last year was a definite ass-kicker!

We completely moved to our present location which took about five months...all told. We have five acres to mow, which started my interest in tractors....to say the least. Old Buddy lent me his John Deere LA165 forth eight inch gas mower. We bought a new John Deere 1025R sixty inch cut Diesel Tractor for my wife with a loader bucket which is rated at 800 pound lift. Then I got the itch of antique tractors. I have since bought a '47 Farmall M, another Farmall M, Farmall Cub (with a sixty inch Woods mower), a Farmall Super H, an Allis Chalmers WD-45 pulling tractor with wheelie bars, a 1949 Oliver Row Crop 77, a 1949-53 Oliver Row Crop 88, a garden size 1950 Pennsylvania Tractor and inherited a Ford 8N tractor and a second Farmall Cub from my father's collection from about 40 years ago. Four of these tractors are pretty nice and two of them are absolutely beautiful. I believe the Oliver Row Crop 88 is the prettiest!

Anyway...the tractors kept me away from the cabin as well as waiting for the new 32X56 garage to be built took a long time. But....yesterday Old Buddy, Tristin and I made the trek up to the cabin to check things out. It did not appear to have been molested by anyone. If they were in it....we couldn't tell.

I love the smell of the cabin. It's one of those smells you never forget. I was glad there were no dead wasps or LIVE ones. There were about twenty dead lady bugs on the counter-top. We encountered a downpour and the rain beat on the tin and I was happy that it was drier than a pop corned fart inside! Old Buddy and I vowed to not wait more than a few weeks before we return. I have to admit....winter is my favorite time to visit/stay at the cabin. I really missed it. We will return! Hope everything is going well with all you other cabin folks!
Old Old Buddy

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 31 May 2015 21:48 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

Great hearing from you GUYS!! seems like ya got plenty to do to keep ya busy . That's a HUGE garage your building ,,,,I am guessing to keep the tractors dry!!

Glad ya'll made it back to the cabin and it had not been bothered. Did they ever get though mining out there?

take care and keep in touch!!!

PS~~~I am guessing you are spending a lot of time on the tractor forum now..lol....when I got my old massey I stayed over there for a while getting info...

old old buddy
# Posted: 31 May 2015 22:51

Yes...we have been mined out since last fall but the wildlife took a hit I think. Yes...we have been livin on the Oliver and Farmall sites as well as antique tractor parts site. We really missed the cabin. I hope to return within a few weeks. I hope you are well...are you up north or down south. Where the hell do you call home, anyway? I appreciate the quick "come back!" Have a great 2015! OOB

old old buddy
# Posted: 18 Aug 2015 23:35

We'll...Old Buddy, Little Buddy and I attempted to drive to the cabin last week and were stopped dead in our tracks! There was a cherry tree about 18" in diameter and fifty feet long...so the Old Silverado couldn't budge it lying diagonal across the road in between all the other trees so we turned around. Need to get back up there with the chain saw "and set things a right!"

old old buddy
# Posted: 27 Aug 2015 17:36

Headed up to the cabin on Sunday with a new chain on the Stihl chainsaw....Old Buddy is in charge of the cutting and I guess I'm in charge of the food...lol. Tristin will probably be coming along as well. We'll probably weed wack the area around the cabin to keep the ticks off of us! At least well have a pretty good supply of cherry wood for the stove!

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 27 Aug 2015 19:34

Glad to see

"all the Buddy's " back at the cabin soon!!!

Hope ya'll have a good deer season this fall!!!

old old buddy
# Posted: 27 Aug 2015 22:00

turkeyhunter
Turkey Hunter...I didn't think you were on here much anymore...just like me..lol. Since we moved to the country, it has been soooo hard to get back to the cabin....but I can't figure out why. I guess it was always a priority before because Old Buddy was in school for three years of our build and he always said it was like therapy to him to git on that hill and relieve some stress. He wants to take his tractor to the "pulls" in Kilgore Ohio (Carroll County I think) and that's on this coming Saturday. He has a beautiful Farmall Super M he bought, already set up for pulling. So, I guess we'll go on the hill on Sunday after church...to cut that cherry tree out of our road! I can't wait to go. I just hope no one has molested it since early June.. I hope everything is going well for you...

old old buddy
# Posted: 25 Sep 2015 00:53

Well....we made it up to the cabin on Sept. 22nd, after cutting the huge cherry tree up that completely blocked the road up the hill. After we got to the top of the hill, we were happy to report that the cabin had not been touched, since we were last there, in June, I believe.

I contacted an electronic media business about preserving everything that has been written by myself, my son, other relatives...and of course, all of you that have made comments on here from time to time, as well as ALL of the photos, and I have decided to make it a BOOK about the cabin. It will be a hardback, bound book with about 225-235 pages. I am so excited I can't wait to see it done. The book will be approximately 12" high and 15" wide. It will have a "cover jacket" with the title and photos of the cabin on front and rear! I asked if I could have my photograph taken in a tuxedo and included on the inside cover with a caption "about the Author" ...lol.

I want to get a picture of my immediate family taken on the front porch of the cabin with my wife, kids and four grandchildren...as well as myself, to have it included on the last page of the book. I just think it will be a great momentous to always have for the family. We are by no means done with the cabin but it will be something to pick up and enjoy for anyone...for years to come. I haven't counted but believe it will contain OVER 200 PHOTOS! I was told the color would last almost indefinitely with the new processes and ink that is used today. It will appear very similar to the same format as this forum. This book will be 1 of 1....at least for awhile. Anyone interested...let me know...I can put you in touch with these people. The price is a little steep, but I expected that. You can email me at tweldon55@yahoo.com

The cost is $650.00 but I know that all those pictures are a large part of the cost. They have assured me that it will be a beautiful product...when completed and I am confident that it will.

The last time I read through our 25 pages of blog, it took me about two hours and forty minutes...and I wrote most of it! I have to thank my son, Russ, alias Old Buddy, for this idea because he is the one that got me onto this forum and posted every single photograph, because I didn't know how...lol.

So just remember...anything you said on "A 12X16 on a Hilltop in Ohio" will be preserved for the ages. Thanks for being part of this great adventure...

Old Old Buddy

old old buddy
# Posted: 25 Sep 2015 16:30

Correction on the pictures in the book. I just went through all 25 pages and we posted 397 pictures....not counting some of those that sent us their own photos. What I really like is the fact that our pictures appear so big on the forum which means they will be bigger, in the book. Anyway...I don't think the price is too bad considering there will be slightly over 400 color photos in the book. I guess to each their own...but I think this will be money well spent!

Anyway..if you're interested in having a book made of YOUR CABIN...let me know... Old Old Buddy

neb
# Posted: 25 Sep 2015 16:44

I had an old M but not a super model with wide front. Great tractor and I farmed with it on a small scale of 28 acres.

old old buddy
# Posted: 25 Sep 2015 17:27

Neb. We just picked up an H with a loader bucket and a Super A today. The Super A belonged to my dad and I have pictures of Old Buddy on it with his Pap...about 35 years ago. I love my M! Old Buddy and I made a dully out of it this Spring. We added about 1,000 pounds to the weight of the tractor. It looks like it would pull a house! Old Old Buddy

Just
# Posted: 25 Sep 2015 21:07

Quoting: old old buddy
Here is our pride and joy...my 1953 Farmall Super M

old old buddy that M ever take the skin of the back of your hand ?? DON'T MISS THAT ..

old old buddy
# Posted: 25 Sep 2015 21:19

Just
Can't say it has but I've only had the tractors for about 12-13 months so it's a fairly new hobby. What are you referring to? I like the Farmalls but I love the sound of the six-cylinder Oliver 77's and 88's. Old Buddy and my wife have newer John Deere lawn mowers and compact tractors.

Old Old Buddy

Just
# Posted: 25 Sep 2015 22:01

Quoting: old old buddy
you referring to

Because of the narrow front wheels and no power steering the steering wheel can spin hard enough to break your arm if you hit a furrow or bump and your arm is on the inside of the steering wheel . Take it from me be carful to keep your hands on the outside of the wheel !! . "just" a old farmer

old old buddy
# Posted: 25 Sep 2015 22:19

Just
Thank you for the advise. Never thought about it...but it makes sense. My M has a suicide knob on the wheel which helps...I would think, but I don't have any furrows that I can think of...but I will take your advise and keep my hands on the outside of the steering wheel. Thank you... old Old Buddy

Just
# Posted: 25 Sep 2015 22:31

We also had a H a A and a BN AND A OLIVER 70 smooth ..

old old buddy
# Posted: 26 Sep 2015 09:20

Just
Where is your cabin located? Do you still go there often? We have not gone "to the hill but about 3times in the past 15 months because of relocating to our new (old) residence with five mowed acres...That is what started the collection of about fifteen tractors between my son and I. We were just on the hill on this past Tuesday to cut up a huge cherry tree that had blocked the road going up the hill. Old Old Buddy

Just
# Posted: 26 Sep 2015 16:09

WE are in Ontario on the north shore of lake Erie [ maybe spent 10 days there all summer . our kids and grandkids use it more than us ] . I also have a hunting camp fifty miles north of the lake,, spend lots of time there as it is only a few min. from home . I still live on a farm but my son and grand son do the farming .
I went to a farm auction today with them , the only thing red there was a Massy 165 sold for $4800 Canadian or $ 2.00 US lol. We bought a v- box, long, slow,]===[[[lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllp;.
hunt camp
hunt camp
at the lake
at the lake

old old buddy
# Posted: 26 Sep 2015 19:11

I can't call myself a farmer..We mow five acres with our home in the middle of it. Our cabin is about five "air miles" from our home but would take about half an hour to get there, the way that the roads are designed. We own 63 acres where the cabin is but it's mostly a huge hill! You would have a heck of a time farming it, for sure.. But that's what I like about it the most is the seclusion. I just brought a Farmall B home and a 2014 John Deere Zero Turn Diesel 72" cut. It belongs to my brother but he says he has no use for it..Can you believe that? He said it has just over 100 hours on it. I'll see how fast we can cut the yard now. He told me I will be able to cut my time in half...we'll see!

Old Old Buddy

Don_P
# Posted: 8 Oct 2015 07:51

Backtracking on Just's comment.. that spinner, the suicide knob, will do the same thing to your hand if the tire hits a big bump, the steering wheel will spin around fast and hard and the knob can hit you very hard. We generally remove them and remember never to "hook" the wheel with your thumb when turning. Like Just said, work only the outside of the steering wheel on old non power steering equipment. My old wide front TO35 can send a thumb into orbit. I seem to remember having to hook a leg on the shifter in road gear on an M to keep her in gear.

Rowjr
# Posted: 8 Oct 2015 15:34

Quoting: old buddy
and I got the complete underside of the floor sealed up today

Did you frame in the plywood underside holding your insulation up directly against the insulation between your joist. I have a similar cabin design and I have been wondering how to insulate and not worry about rodents getting in once I sealed it up. I appreciate any feedback and please check out my cabin if you have time .I'm not to far away in W Va.

Rowjr
# Posted: 8 Oct 2015 19:00

I second that looking good !

<< 1 ... 18 . 19 . 20 . 21 . 22 . 23 . 24 . 25 . 26 . 27 . 28 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.