Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / My Ohio cabin
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 .
dfosson
# Posted: 15 Aug 2013 21:40

With a stress filled career in an ever changing world, its always a pleasure to travel to the cabin and find everything the same. This picture was taken when I went inside after being away for weeks. The solar powered battery bank was full and ready to greet me with all the lights on.
Cabin Time
Cabin Time

Purplerules
# Posted: 16 Aug 2013 23:30

When we get ready to do our solar set-up. I am going to want to pick your brain as yours seems so reliable.

Hope you had a great time de-stessing!!

dfosson
# Posted: 9 Oct 2013 20:30 - Edited by: dfosson

So happy to pick up a 1200 gallon cistern to collect rain water off the cabin roof.
IMG_3807.JPG
IMG_3807.JPG

Scotty Dosent Know
# Posted: 16 Oct 2013 15:05

Really loving this cabin!

Smawgunner
# Posted: 17 Oct 2013 14:07

Nice Cistern. Are you going to bury it? Let me know how you end up using/plumbing it. I'm still trying to figure how how to do mine.

Allen

davey25
# Posted: 17 Oct 2013 23:36

The place is gorgeous ..little hard believing you just winged it and had no skills though..

dfosson
# Posted: 24 Nov 2013 20:24 - Edited by: dfosson

Getting the cabin in the woods ready for the holidays. Hosting a few "Santa Hunts" for little children that hike with their parents into the woods and 'find' Santa at the cabin. Really like LED lights for off the grid lighting during the holidays. Seasons Greetings.
Table for two
Table for two
Ready for the holidays
Ready for the holidays
enjoying the fire
enjoying the fire

rockin_rodeo
# Posted: 4 Jan 2014 22:55

I tried to watch the videos that you posted for youtube. But they say they are private and need permission from you to watch them. Your cabin is absolutely gorgeous!! Very similar to what I have dreamed of and sketched up. LOVE the fireplace and the feeling of space in the size of the cabin! If you don't mind I will send you an email to get a little more detail for help with my plans.

Shadyacres
# Posted: 13 Feb 2014 17:38

dfosson
I see where you said you used antique oak on your ceiling ? Is that minwax brand ? I also plan on using a lot of early American minwax on my walls but I like the look of your ceiling . I think it looks a lot better to have different tones in the wood.

ErinsMom
# Posted: 14 Feb 2014 03:49

dfosson,
where have you been?

stickbowcrafter
# Posted: 11 Apr 2014 10:50

He finally got the cold, snowy winter he was hoping for, can't wait to see pics.

-Brian

dfosson
# Posted: 23 Apr 2014 19:47

Send it to buckeyesn09@gmail.com

dfosson
# Posted: 23 Apr 2014 19:51

Sorry ErinsMom, I just got caught up in the rat race after the holidays. I used my cabin during Christmas for Santa's hideout and had little kids and parents searching for him at night. Lots of fun but after the holidays, I went into chill mode; Ohio had a bitter winter for a change. I'm back on cabin time eating pickled eggs on the porch and enjoying the spring weather now! Getting ready to plant my cistren for rain water.

dfosson
# Posted: 23 Apr 2014 19:55

mrhayes, yes, the ceiling is minwax brand. I purchased the lumber from Menard's. Each board was given 3 coats of minwax that contained stain and high gloss poly seal (also from Menard's). We buffed with 0000 steel wool and vacuumed between coats.

dfosson
# Posted: 23 Apr 2014 20:05

Spring cleaning out of the way and ready for SUMMER around the corner. The feel of the sun, breeze and spring aroma in the woods makes having a cabin such a reward.
Spring's sun in through windows
Spring's sun in through windows
Loft view of floor level
Loft view of floor level
Where I spent my winter nights
Where I spent my winter nights
Evidence of a winter's guest
Evidence of a winter's guest

WeekEndHack
# Posted: 25 Apr 2014 15:32

dfosson - i really like the job you did on your fireplace! Was this a big job? I may do something similar, would you mind going over how you did it?

thx much!

Steve

dfosson
# Posted: 26 Apr 2014 21:42 - Edited by: dfosson

WeekEndHack, it was actually pretty simple. Bought a firebox that could be within 2" of combustable wall; framed up and covered a platform with OSB to set it on. Put insulated locking chimney pipe up; one 30 degree joint to miss the ridge beam. Framed and boxed it in. bolted the mantel base to the framing and then boxed it in with OSB. Covered it with 30 lb roofing paper, metal mesh for scratch coat of mortar. Used stone veneer but coated them with a slurry of mortar coloring oxide (brushed it on and let it dry). Buttered the stones with mortar and stuck them on the scratch coat. Colored some mortar for joints and filled the joints with a mortar bag and smoothed with fingers. Once cured, sealed it with semi gloss clear stone sealant. Took an old hand hewed barn beam and stained and sealed it with semi gloss poly. Cost about $600. Got the fire box off Craig's List for $200.
Fire place finished
Fire place finished
Framing fireplace
Framing fireplace

SonnyB
# Posted: 13 Oct 2014 15:44

Looks great!! Hope mine turns out that nice.

curt
# Posted: 5 Dec 2014 21:49

Just curious what you used for a ridge beam and how did you support it? I am building a 16x28 and would like a similar open ceiling space but I am stalled in the design trying to come up with a ridge board vs. ridge beam to support the rafters.

victorvector
# Posted: 17 Jan 2015 19:39

Lovely job dfosson.

That cabin feels very warm and welcoming.
Nice work all around.Thank you for posting.

Rowjr
# Posted: 31 Jul 2015 09:41

looking good

oire
# Posted: 8 Aug 2015 08:56

What more can I add, Beautiful work. I am truly inspired, as I clear the road to my future retirement place.

Rowjr
# Posted: 16 Oct 2015 06:55

Be interested in how your going to used that water collector

exup
# Posted: 25 Jan 2020 13:50

Wow, I’ve seen the YouTube video of your cabin and watched it dozens of times! It was so much of what I wanted to base the layout on my Ohio cabin (sadly I just ended up buying though). Great job!!

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.