Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Why all the OSB and plywood?
<< . 1 . 2 .
Martian
# Posted: 7 Dec 2011 18:03

That must have been fun to build! Nice job!

Tom

davestreck
# Posted: 7 Dec 2011 18:50

Quoting: Martian
That must have been fun to build!

The building was fun, but the raising was really fun. Fifty friends, lots of beer, great food, and we had the frame raised and pegged together in less than 4 hours.

Best of all, nobody got (seriously) hurt. Although there were quite a few sore backs (and aching heads) the next day.

Martian
# Posted: 7 Dec 2011 19:02

Fifty friends! Wow, you must be one hell of a nice guy. I don't think I even know 50 people; much less 50 I could get to work. Must of been some seriously good beer!

Tom

fthurber
# Posted: 10 Dec 2011 22:42 - Edited by: fthurber

Oh man the Pine tree...I forgot the Pine Tree!!!! Eeeek tommorrow I will tack one to the roof...

fthurber
# Posted: 11 Dec 2011 08:02

That barn is unbelievable. Beautiful work. I was always thought that you had to use special tools for those those fancy post & beams but it looks like you just used a saw plus a hammer & chisel and lots of time. I would be terrified of making a mistake and wasting a 18 foot beam!

I loved the ridge pole you used; it appeared to have sloped side coming up to a point so that the rafters would have a flat-ish place to rest.

I wonder how this compares to Amish construction...

Malamute
# Posted: 11 Dec 2011 12:58

I like natural wood construction, heck, I prefer whole trees to make walls from, but,...not everyone has the resources and availabilty of whole trees or even rough cut from a local mill. Most folks seem OK with common framing and construction, as far as doing it and how it looks (some people even like drywall in a cabin!!!!!). Modern costruction is relatively simple for beginners, and makes a solid building that's easy to insulate and seal up.

For most, just having a cabin, of any sort, is the primary thing, not exactly how it looks or what it's made of. I sort of admire that, because I'm pretty narrow in what I like or how I like to build. Handbuilt log in traditional styles is what I really like. So, if you want to look down on the cabins with OSB and plywood, you can consider that I still tend to see everything that isn't handbuilt log, including post frame, together as "everything else". I won't pass judgement on anyone elses cabins tho, they build what they like, I build what I like. :) I can admire a good job no matter how it's built. Just getting out and doing it is the main thing tho, no matter what style you like.

davestreck
# Posted: 11 Dec 2011 17:24 - Edited by: davestreck

Quoting: SquidLips
I was always thought that you had to use special tools for those those fancy post & beams but it looks like you just used a saw plus a hammer & chisel and lots of time

The only "specialized" tool that I used (besides heavy-duty framing chisels) was a vintage Millers Falls boring machine:

I started out using a 1/2" corded drill with an auger bit to drill out the mortises, but switched to the boring machine after the first few holes. Unlike a power drill, the boring machine always goes in at 90 degrees to the face of the timber, it has an adjustable depth stop, and it won't chuck you on your butt or break your wrist if it hangs up in the wood. Once you get the hang of it, you can drill 1 1/2" holes through 8" of pine in a few seconds. They aren't cheap (I lucked out and paid "only" $150 for mine...they were going for $500+ on eBay at the time) but totally worth it if you're getting in to any serious timber framing. Plus you get to sit down while working.

Other than that all you need is a sharp crosscut handsaw, a good worm drive circular saw, lots of beefy framing chisels, and a tape measure, framing square and combo square. Throw in a 4" slick and a 1" bruzz and you're really styling.

davestreck
# Posted: 11 Dec 2011 17:42

Quoting: Martian
Fifty friends! Wow, you must be one hell of a nice guy. I don't think I even know 50 people; much less 50 I could get to work. Must of been some seriously good beer!

Its amazing what kegs of Harpoon and my Mom's barbecue will do!

In reality, we could have gotten by with 20 or so, but having the extra hands was nice.

davestreck
# Posted: 11 Dec 2011 17:51 - Edited by: davestreck

I would be terrified of making a mistake and wasting a 18 foot beam!

An 18 foot 8x8 (96 bf) costs less than $50 at my local mill. Nothing to sneeze at, certainly, but no so expensive that a screw up is going to bankrupt the project. You can always cut it shorter and use it somewhere else. The first beam that I messed up stayed front and center as a constant reminder to "measure twice, cut once"!

fthurber
# Posted: 13 Dec 2011 22:07

I could see where OSB would be really great for constructing a cabin when you do not have a lot of time (i.e you do not want to expose the half-finished structure to the elements for too long). This would be really important in a remote location that you cannot access very often.

fthurber
# Posted: 13 Dec 2011 22:09

As far as wastage my local sawmill grinds up the scraps and sells it as bedding for horse barns and the like. Some may go to a local wood-burning power plant but I am not sure.

I was very excited to learn that my local sawmill will do Atlantic white cedar if the local swamps freeze! That would be fun to use for my loft or maybe siding.

davestreck
# Posted: 13 Dec 2011 22:54

I was very excited to learn that my local sawmill will do Atlantic white cedar if the local swamps freeze! That would be fun to use for my loft or maybe siding.

My local mill operates the same way, but around here the conditions haven't been right for logging cedar for 7 or so years. I think they need a hard frozen ground but not too much snow. The mill owner's daughter told me they have a good amount of cedars marked for cutting but are unable to harvest them until everything is just so. I have a standing order with them for flitch sawn white cedar for boat planking. Can't wait!

fthurber
# Posted: 14 Dec 2011 20:07

Around here Atlantic white cedar is used for building Beetle Cats and probably used for repair work on other boats. A fantastic wood. I would love to get a load of it.

I do have some of solid cherry flooring a friend (who owns a sawmill) gave me after I got him into some serious striped bass fishing. A good bargain I would say. I am building the cabin as a way to use this flooring! Cherry is supposed to have very good moisture stability which will be great for the cabin since it will not have any moisture barriers....

davestreck
# Posted: 14 Dec 2011 21:40 - Edited by: davestreck

Around here Atlantic white cedar is used for building Beetle Cats and probably used for repair work on other boats.

Buzzard's Bay area? I'm in South Dartmouth. Lots of Beetle Cats around here. I've worked on a bunch of 'em.

My "local" mill is Gurney's in Freetown. Good folks over there. My only beef is that they don't discriminate between White Oak and Red Oak. Its all just "Oak".

fthurber
# Posted: 23 Dec 2011 07:36 - Edited by: fthurber

Whoa. My local sawmill is Gurney's in Freetown and I live in South Dartmouth also!

My wife and I used to use Delano's Sawmill, but they are out of business. The ironic thing is that Delan's is a block away from Home Depot, but all the lemmings didn't even know about it and went straight to Home Depot to buy wood.

BTW, there is a new source for Atlantic white cedar nearby...

If you want to see the studio I did for my wife and my proto-cabin, you can reach me at Frederick.Thurber@gmail.com.

fthurber
# Posted: 23 Feb 2012 18:06 - Edited by: fthurber

As an alternative to OSB I am using ship lap pine board. They look great and smell nice.
Interior
Interior
Exterior ship lap
Exterior ship lap

TomChum
# Posted: 24 Feb 2012 13:50

That looks great! I did my interior gables with pine. We 'shiplapped' the boards with the table saw. One thing (I was told) about pine, the heat of planing makes a surface glaze from the sap, and you have to let it weather for awhile or it won't take a stain (or blotchy). Or I think you can sand it just prior to staining.

I'm hoping to build a bunkhouse (for guests), and I'll do it with all boards too. I'll use board/batten style, probably fir or cedar. If any USB it will be entirely hidden (!) but that's just my style.

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.