Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / 16x16 hunting cabin
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 .
oldbuddy
# Posted: 23 Dec 2012 08:44

Josh
Your porch is exactly the same size as our "bunkroom." I can't believe how much difference that little bit of size made. We put a couch and a recliner in it with three big windows across the front and one on each end. It's great for watching the deer feed from our feeder. Your cabin looks very nice. Ours is 12X16 (without the bunkroom) but I know how much more room that extra four feet makes. Nice cabin.

Old Old Buddy

Josh
# Posted: 23 Dec 2012 14:08

Thanks! I do have more pictures of it sheeted and with all of the windows and door. Its nice because its an extra place for all of the hunting totes and coolers and gear. So the cabin doesn't feel crammed. Also its nice because the woodstove heats 1000 sqft and it gets up to 110 degrees in there when we are out hunting so we just open the front door and open a few windows to even out the heat.

oldbuddy
# Posted: 23 Dec 2012 21:59

Josh
Your heating efficiency sonds familiar. After wet insulated last winter we had a new problem......how to keep the cabin cool enough in the winter! Our woodstove is a small one but we're only a little over 300 sf presently. On the first night we spent at the cabin after insulating, we got it so hot in the cabin that we slept with all four windows wide open (at about midnight) and never closed them or covered up in bed until we got up at 6:00 AM. It was 117 degrees one night about a month ago. We are slowly learning how to control it.

Old Old Buddy

Josh
# Posted: 26 Dec 2012 19:56

Yep, I have learned to just select the right logs from my wood rack. I have a lot of down falls around the cabin. So we just cut them as needed. Save the nice solid oak logs for mid winter when it barely gets above 0 degrees. Otherwise use the dried some what dead logs in the stove and that seems to keep the cabin around 70 to 80 degrees. It's nice either way because after sitting in the deer stand for a few hours its nice to just get back and walk into the heat like that.

nonbuilder
# Posted: 31 Dec 2012 12:10

hey josh. did you just set your blocks for the foudation on the ground or did you dig and set them on something? Just wondering,,, I'm thinding of building a cabin in cold climate and don't know alot about building.. this site is a god send for me. Im thinking of 16x16 or 16x20 . will just setting them foundation blocks like u used on the ground level work or do i have to dig and pour concrete?

Josh
# Posted: 1 Jan 2013 00:22

I put 9 concrete pyramid piers down on the ground. Then shimmed the floor system with plexiglass shims i made to level it up. The water table was to high for me so thats all i could do.

BBoesch
# Posted: 12 Jan 2013 16:35

Hey Josh, Very nice cabin! Just out of curiousity, what did you have to go thru for permits and such? Im looking at doing the same thing on land in central Wisconsin but am having issues finding info on whether or not you can build a small structure like this in that area. It looks like you might be in the upper midwest youself

Josh
# Posted: 15 Jan 2013 20:46

Yeah i built it in a small county, when i went to build it i called the planning and zoning department at the local court house. I had to have a permit pulled for my cabin and couldn't go over 400 sqft and i am at 384 now. I also had to pull a permit for my porch a year ago and i am just about finished with that. For me the water table was right at the surface so i couldn't have a barrel in the ground for the outhouse. They wanted a 1,000 gallon concrete tank put in instead.

Its the way things are i guess, In the next county over where my parents are it is a lot bigger of a county and they do have codes and guidelines but not quite as strick and goofy as where i am. I see a lot where people set up off grid and do their own thing which works. But where i am at there was none of that. Permits had to be pulled and there were a lot of hoops to jump through.

AlabamaDan
# Posted: 20 Aug 2019 21:46

Nice.

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.