Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / New member from Ohio
<< . 1 . 2 .
Spencie
# Posted: 13 Sep 2012 05:11

We have made lots of mistakes but have been able to cover them up.

Snow? That's a rare occurance in these parts anymore.

Spencie
# Posted: 14 Sep 2012 06:28

We are undecided on where to run our stove pipe. Should we take it straight up and out the top or out the wall then up? Anyone????

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 14 Sep 2012 07:17

Draft in a chimney is helped greatly by the rising heat in it. If you go out and then up you will not have as good of draft. Keeping the pipe warm as far up as possible is the best.

Owen

Spencie
# Posted: 14 Sep 2012 09:28

Quoting: OwenChristensen
Draft in a chimney is helped greatly by the rising heat in it. If you go out and then up you will not have as good of draft. Keeping the pipe warm as far up as possible is the best.

Good to know...thanks.

Spencie
# Posted: 4 Jan 2013 08:44

I haven't posted in a while. We haven't worked on the cabin for a while due to hunting season, work and weather. Our goal is to have the inside finished by turkey season.

Here are a few recent snow pics.

Spencie
# Posted: 4 Jan 2013 08:52

Here are some pics of the inside. We used pine boards for the walls in the center room (kitchen-living room). We still need to insulate and finish the ceiling. Also using pine boards for ceiling.

The bedrooms are poplar boards.

Spencie
# Posted: 4 Jan 2013 09:08

I have picked up these 4 arrowheads at the cabin site and a hammer/grind stone.

Thunder9
# Posted: 4 Jan 2013 12:34

Spencie, Your cabin is coming along nicely, looks great. I do have a few questions regarding the pine and poplar boards as we are starting our cabin this summer and need to keep cost reasonable. Are the boards tonque and grooved? How thick are the boards, What size nails did you use and did you experience any splitting?

Thanks.
Another Buckeye here.

Spencie
# Posted: 4 Jan 2013 15:58

Thunder9, Our boards are 3/4" thick and ship-lapped. We used 2 inch nails and have had minimal splitting. All of the boards come from trees cut from our property. A good friend planed and ship-lapped them for a great price.

What county are you in?

cabingal3
# Posted: 5 Jan 2013 09:43

Spencie.this is a wonderful place u have.thank u for sharing.

Thunder9
# Posted: 5 Jan 2013 10:22

Spencie, I think its great that the wood planks came from trees on your property. Saves money,looks fantastic and is a story that will be passed down for generations to come.

I'm in Wood county in NW Ohio.

oldbuddy
# Posted: 5 Jan 2013 23:11

Spencie
Your cabin looks great with the snow on it! Have you spent a night in it yet in the winter? I know how hard it was to keep our cabin warm without insulation.....I could only imagine that yours is a great deal harder because it's so big. After you insulate.....you will not believe how much easier it heats and with about 1/4 of the wood you used before insulation!

How did you cut out (the metal) for the windows with the vertical ridges and grooves in the siding? Did you allow the windows to be pushed outward to meet the metal, flush? I wondered how difficult it is to cut the metal. We only had to make one cut with our metal to go around the chimney outside and I did it with a die-grinder. It wasn't easy. I used the "R-rib" metal which is the heavier (26 gauge). It feels about three times the weight of the 29 gauge. Which did you use?

Have a great new year and I hope you and your father enjoy as many good times and my son (Old Buddy) and I have already.

Old Old Buddy

Spencie
# Posted: 6 Jan 2013 00:50

I have stayed in the cabin a few nights. The coldest was 34 degrees inside by morning. Until we get the insulation up it is a warm weather camp.

As far as cutting the metal, we tried grinders but the easiest thing I found was heavy duty snips. They worked better than I thought they would. To cut across the ridges I just cut at a slight angle and it worked decent.

jeffoldhouse
# Posted: 7 Jan 2013 14:32

Spencie

I grew up in Athens county (Coolville area) and live in neighboring Washington county. Your place looks great! Athens county is a large county with a lot of open country spaces. I've enjoyed reading about your build and good luck with the finishing stages this Spring, as I know those take awhile, but have fun with it.

Jeff

Spencie
# Posted: 8 Jan 2013 03:52 - Edited by: Spencie

jeffoldhouse

I grew up/live in Washington county. Thanks for showing an interest in our project. Hope to spend a couple days out there this week.

jeffoldhouse
# Posted: 8 Jan 2013 11:18

Do you work the 12 hour shifts somewhere? You mentioned being off for 7 days in one of your posts. I work those and really like them as I can get a lot done during the "longbreak". Heading into mine on Friday and have a whole list of things to do

Spencie
# Posted: 8 Jan 2013 11:35

Yep, sure do. Love that shift...when I don't dumb up and work OT every day off. I finished up long nights this morning. I'm at Solvay, where are you?

jeffoldhouse
# Posted: 8 Jan 2013 14:55

I am across the river at Dupont. My stepson probably works with you as he is on the same shift...Marc B (won't put the last name....just in case). He has been there a couple of years and hangs out with Ryan W.

Spencie
# Posted: 8 Jan 2013 14:59 - Edited by: Spencie

jeffoldhouse

You mean Marc with a "c". Work same shift, same department. He's great to work with. Small world, very small world.

Marc has been out to help with the trusses and some tractor work.

jeffoldhouse
# Posted: 8 Jan 2013 15:32

That sounds like Marc.....I'll have to run out with him sometime and check out your place. We always have every other Monday off with working opposite shifts.

Spencie
# Posted: 8 Jan 2013 15:59

Sounds good

Spencie
# Posted: 14 Jan 2013 15:38

Got some of the ceiling done.

Spencie
# Posted: 28 Feb 2013 20:35

We have been working on the cabin a lot lately. We are nearly finished with the trim and ceilings....part of one bedroom left to go. Then we can start putting in sinks, shower, kitchen, etc.

Here are a couple pics of some of the trim work.

Smawgunner
# Posted: 25 Apr 2013 18:28

Nice work! We just bought in athens county...84 acres with an old 2 story log home we plan to refurbish. It's a great county isn't it?!

Spencie
# Posted: 22 May 2013 17:36

I have lived in Washington County all my life but it's a short drive (25 minutes) to the cabin. I love it there. If the wife ever kicks me out the cabin will become home.

Smawgunner
# Posted: 22 May 2013 20:05

Spencie

Nice! What township are you in? We're in Canaan!

Spencie
# Posted: 2 Jan 2014 09:39 - Edited by: Spencie

Quoting: Smawgunner

Nice! What township are you in? We're in Canaan

Haven't been on in a long time. Sorry for the delay. We are in Bern Township near Bartlett.

We have done no work on the cabin since September. We have the structure finished and inside furnished and partially decorated. The only things left to do are hook up the connection for the power to generator, hook up the cistern and put skirting around the bottom of cabin....all projects for this spring.

Here a some pics from the last projects we did.

Table

Sink

Porch

Shadyacres
# Posted: 4 Jan 2014 13:04

Enjoyed your cabin construction pics very much. I always try to check out this site to get ideas that I may have missed. Keep the pictures coming.

stickbowcrafter
# Posted: 16 Apr 2014 09:00

Great cabin and awesome property. My getaway is in NE Ohio, Ashtabula County.

-Brian

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.