Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Really new at this~
. 1 . 2 . >>
cabinchic
# Posted: 29 Jul 2012 12:02

I have inherited an 840 sq ft cabin that is in need of much love and attention. I live 1500miles away and have NO construction awareness whatsoever. I have some resources in the area of the cabin and enough cash to save the cabins life. Where do I begin?

I started by sending an appraiser out and he shared this:
Foundation is piers and some concrete block
Settlement was observed on the floor
Walls showing signs of advanced decay
Moss growing on the roof
Chimney block is cracked
Built 1975

Any thoughts?

VTweekender
# Posted: 29 Jul 2012 13:05

This could be a real tough one really, because of the inheritance factor. Is the cabin sentimental to you?

For starters, I would have a hard time trusting any contractor 1500 miles away, anything could happen.

As far as the condition, as you describe it, doesn't sound good. The settlement not too much a factor as some settlement would be normal. For advanced decay in the walls, either water damage or insect damage, but questions arise like "is it isolated damage"? etc...
Chances are if the roof has been leaking you have extensive damage. Sounds like new roof needed and possibly roof structure, Chimney crack not so much a problem.

To have a contractor get in there and start rebuilding this cabin would cost way more than building a new one.

Martian
# Posted: 29 Jul 2012 13:16

CC, What is your motivation for restoring your cabin? It could get expensive.

My advise would be to get a contractor recommended from a local lumber yard/friend. Ask for and check references. Tell them what you envision as a finished product. Have them perform a thorough inspection and give you an estimate. There will have to be a great deal of trust since you live so far away, but a good craftman can bring the structure back.

Having restored several old houses as a contractor, I will guess you are about to spend, at a minimum, $10,000.

Tom

cabinchic
# Posted: 29 Jul 2012 17:37

There is certainly sentimental value here, esp. for the land. I am not attached to the cabin to the point that I will spend whatever it takes to save it.

My goal is to make it user-friendly...such that I could fly in, turn the key, and enjoy.

My initial thought was to tear it down and start over, esp. when I read about people building cabins for 4-5k. But, the more I learned on this (wonderful) site, the more I realized I do not have the knowledge base for a project of this scope, esp. from a-far.

The cabins' immediate neighbors are Amish carpenters who own a lumberyard and sawmill up the road. They are wonderful craftsmen but don't touch plumbing or wiring.

Tom says a minimum of 10k for restoration and VTweekender says restoration would be much more expensive than building a new cabin. 10k+ doesn't scare me but I want my funds to be spent wisely.

Any additional thoughts? I very much appreciate the in-put. I will be going to the site in a few weeks and hope to have a solid plan in mind that can be put into action while I am there.

MtnDon
# Posted: 29 Jul 2012 18:31

Tear it down? Place a travel trailer on the land for the times you visit?

Martian
# Posted: 29 Jul 2012 18:40 - Edited by: Martian

When you start dealing with multiple individuals/companies to accomplish the tasks, your cost go up. Let's say the electrical needs a little work. The electrician has to make a trip out, inspect the job, and make the repairs. There may be more than one trip involved. Same with the plumbing.

My suggestion is to find a local jack-of-all-trades to accomplish everything. Of course, your ability to do that will be determined by the permiting and license requirements where the cabin is located. If the job is large enough, you may even get a break on their hourly rate since they will be employed for awhile. I just finished a 4 month project at $5/hr less than normal, but I still made more money than usual since I had no down time.

After his initial inspection, a good contractor will be able to give you a fairly close estimate (within 10% +-) of the cost unless something is revealed during the demolition phase that was hidden. In that case, he should notify you of the problem and the approximate cost to fix it.

Ask for pictures, progress updates, and invoices (including the contractor's) each week. That way, you can see how your money is being spent without ever getting in too deep. You must remember that, as you get down to detail work, things progress at a slower rate. Its common for people to get worried about money when the project is 80% finished and progress seems really slow, but by that time, you will have a good feel of your contractor.

Much of your cost will be the materials, fixtures, upgrades, etc that you decide you want. To get an accurate estimate, you must be specific with the contractor. Simply saying you want the shower replaced isn't enough information if you want multiple heads and a custom, tiled enclosure for instance. A good contractor will have worked with many different levels of quality and can advise you as to the differences in costs.

Do your homework. If there is a box store in the area, go to their website and familiarize yourself with local material prices. It may help you decide if a contractor is blowing smoke when he answers your questions.

Think about your future needs and wants. If you are going to rebuild, now is the time to make any changes. You could save a lot of money in the long run.

I've done several projects for people from out of town, and they all went well because we communicated regularly and honestly. Make sure you have plenty of airtime for your cell phone.

Tom

cabinchic
# Posted: 29 Jul 2012 18:45

Tom... you sound like exactly the person I need! Do you take on remote location projects? What state are you in?

Martian
# Posted: 29 Jul 2012 18:53 - Edited by: Martian

I'm in the middle-of-nowhere Kansas and booked for the next several months. But, there are guys like me everywhere.....well, maybe not exactly like me, but pretty much everywhere there is someone that does really good work at reasonable prices. The trick is to find them.

Where is this cabin of yours?

Tom

Borrego
# Posted: 29 Jul 2012 19:53

As another builder on the forum, I will echo Martian's advice.
As he said, get a good local Licensed Contractor, and check his references. Then get a detailed scope of work and pretty firm budget. (there will of course be stuff he finds once the demo starts .
Having also worked for out of town owners quite a bit, it is a key that you are in touch almost daily, email is my preferred method, lots of pictures!
Sounds like you're gonna need some new walls and a roof possibly with wood replacement also. Everything else will be refurbish stuff, like kitchen and bath, you can go as fancy as you want here if you can afford it. Big ticket items usually are cabinets, countertops, bath shower tile, flooring.
Check in to this site, it can be a big help to you, lots of good people on here.
Stay in touch, post some pics when you can.
Good Luck!

Martian
# Posted: 29 Jul 2012 20:05

Quoting: Borrego
get a good local Licensed Contractor

Sometimes this can be a problem. We don't have business licenses here in the middle-of-nowhere, but everybody knows who does good work and who doesn't. A craftman's reputation is all he has. I guard mine well. However, if licenses are available, it is a good idea to hire someone with one.

Tom

Borrego
# Posted: 29 Jul 2012 21:27

I meant a State Contractor's License, Tom.....I assume all states have them?

hattie
# Posted: 29 Jul 2012 21:51

My 2 cents is to hire local. Folk who come from out-of-town and hire out-of-town people to build/repair/whatever are generally looked down upon. We hired locals for our build and while they were working on it, we heard them talking amongst themselves about another guy who didn't hire local. He was experiencing problems and was now coming to the local contractors for help. Let's just say they weren't going to be giving him any good deals and weren't going to rush over to help him. It really ticked them off that the guy didn't hire local to start with so they figured he should be punished for that and "taught a lesson".

exsailor
# Posted: 30 Jul 2012 12:48

Just to know exactly what your looking at have an local building inspector give a complete list of damage with written and picture documentation. I would think your Amish neighbors would be the place to start. The damage you are talking about is all structural something they would be able to fix. Granted They don't do electric, but your initial report didn't mention electrical problems. Then again talk to the same neighbors about how much a replacement structure would cost to build. Then you would have to have a contractor come in for the elctric befro the wall were closed. Sounds like you have some hard thinking to do.

cabinchic
# Posted: 30 Jul 2012 15:01

Yep... definitely some hard thinking! Which is why I have found this site and everyones' ideas and suggestions so terrific! This property is located in NY near the PA border. Tom, if you need a break from that middle-of-nowhere please contact me!

And if anyone has additional thoughts... please share. I am compiling a long list of questions and your help has been so valuable.

PA_Bound
# Posted: 30 Jul 2012 15:14

Your original post indicates you are going to visit the property in a few weeks. Is that just a weekend "fly by" or are you going to spend some time in the area? I would suggest you plan on spending at least a few days... including some weekdays when businesses are open. Visit the place... decide for yourself how bad it really is... decide whether to save (invest) or rebuild... talk to some locals for names of reliable contractors... then either meet with them, or at least have their contact information for follow-up when you get home.

VTweekender
# Posted: 30 Jul 2012 17:53

Another thought for you. Things in the area may have changed since 1975. Possibly new building rules there instituted somewhere along the line. Might not have been any permit to build needed in 1975, now most likely different case. The point being that its possible the surrounding parcels changed hands and were built on, and you may have nosey neighbors that will report anything going on, all it takes is one. The cabin might be grandfathered, and you could rebuild. But if you tore it down, the question would be the permit to build a new one, may or may not be possible there now.

Martian
# Posted: 30 Jul 2012 19:05

CC, every now and then, I think about offering my services to help people build in remote locations just to get away. But then, one of my dogs comes in and adoringly looks up at me with their big, brown eyes, and I know, its just not going to happen. I am flattered, though. If I can help you in any other way, feel free to contact me at tom seigler at gmail . com.

VT has a good point. You might consider making a few phone calls to find out the rules before you get there. How "remote" is this cabin? How much land is with it? Does it have an existing septic system? There have been many changes in regulations over the last 35+ years that may impact your decision as to how you want to proceed. Generally, if the remodel is less then 50%, then it is doable, but if over 50% then you may have to comply with all the new regulations.

I've visited this area of the country a couple of times. It is a beautiful part of the world. I can understand why you would enjoy having a place there. However, if you are 1500 miles away and don't plan on moving closer, it may not be the place for you to invest a lot of money.

Tom

Martian
# Posted: 10 Aug 2012 21:56

CC, have you visited your cabin? How did it go?

Tom

cabinchic
# Posted: 10 Aug 2012 22:58

Wow! I was just thinking about coming over here and posting and there was an email that someone had posted on my thread!

I have a super early flight Thursday morning and am so excited! I was going to post a request for ideas or a check list of things I should look for, investigate, or make sure not to miss. And suggestions?

Martian
# Posted: 11 Aug 2012 12:00

Send us pics ASAP. We will be better able to point out areas of concern.

Have you found someone to meet you at the cabin to take a look at the project? I converse with people all over the country on several motorcycle forums. When I needed to find someone to take care of a project in Colorado, I asked "the collective" for referals. It took a couple of weeks, but I was able to find a carpenter in the area who could do the work. He met with the owner, looked at the job, and they worked out the details. I would be happy to do the same for you if you'd like.

Tom

trollbridge
# Posted: 11 Aug 2012 14:13 - Edited by: trollbridge

Quoting: cabinchic
I have a super early flight Thursday morning and am so excited!

Sounds like a fun adventure...I bet you are super excited! Sorry if I missed it but when is the last time you were there or have you ever seen it?
Get ready little cabin...you're about to be loved again!!! LOL!

cabinchic
# Posted: 11 Aug 2012 16:52

Thanks, Tom. I have assembled a crew which includes the Amish neighbors, a local electrician, and a few other folks that all want to add their input! I have a list of concerns/priorities and hope to get some hard facts figured out. I will only be there 6 days and don't want to spend time fantasizing on grandiose ideas. Fall is already approaching and I want to ensure that the pipes won't freeze and the roof won't cave in!

Photos will be forth coming! And yes, Trollbridge, this little cabin is gonna be super loved! I have seen it, many times. Just never had an opportunity to have any input on its' life. Now, every decision rests on my shoulders and while I am a bit overwhelmed, my heart is in the project!

Martian
# Posted: 11 Aug 2012 21:31

CC, it sounds like you have things well in hand. I totally agree with your plan to, at a minimum, stabilize the cabin.

From your response to TB, I think you have been bitten by the cabin bug. Your cabin is very fortunate to have you enter it's life. As I used to tell people when I was a yacht captain, 'boats die from neglect much more often than trauma'. Cabins are the same. Yours is lucky you have come along.

I'm looking forward to the pics and feel free to use the email address I posted above anytime.

Tom

cabinchic
# Posted: 21 Aug 2012 08:40

Cell phone and internet access seriously lacking in this lil slice of heaven. The cabin is savable and wonderful! Photos soon.

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 21 Aug 2012 10:36

Sounds great. I got excited when you said Amish labor and a swmill near by! The only thing that will be hard for you is that they don't usually have a way to communicate; esp if they don't use someone to drive them to your spot.

trollbridge
# Posted: 21 Aug 2012 11:53

Quoting: cabinchic
The cabin is savable and wonderful! Photos soon.

Yay, can't wait!

cabinchic
# Posted: 23 Aug 2012 19:21

Let's call these the BEFORE photos!
looks pretty good from a distance
looks pretty good from a distance
front wall is rotting off
front wall is rotting off
this can't be good
this can't be good
shed has a cozy blanket of moss
shed has a cozy blanket of moss

VTweekender
# Posted: 23 Aug 2012 19:42

Beautiful setting! Looks very savable! That front wall looks like porcupines were chewing...

cabinchic
# Posted: 23 Aug 2012 19:46

a few more outside photos
chimeny is being taken down
chimeny is being taken down
interesting, not highly effective!
interesting, not highly effective!
to keep the critters out?
to keep the critters out?
looks solid but it moves 6 inches out
looks solid but it moves 6 inches out

cabinchic
# Posted: 23 Aug 2012 19:52

and now, for the interior
plumbing and electrical nightmares
plumbing and electrical nightmares
a sense of humor is indespensible
a sense of humor is indespensible
love it!
love it!
but what a mess!
but what a mess!

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.