Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Really new at this~
<< . 1 . 2 .
cabinchic
# Posted: 23 Aug 2012 20:06

Great strides were made during this discovery trip. I contracted with my Amish neighbors who are quite excited to have a project so close to home. They crawled around under the cabin for quite a while and said they were pleasantly surprised by what they found! Everything is quite solid and dry. They are going to shore up a few spots but there isn't a lot of work to be done underneath. They will also tear off the deck, fix the side wall that can be pushed out several inches, and a new, forest green metal roof goes on in October! They are going to modify the existing roof line and extend it out over what will someday be a new wrap-around porch. I will be going back up in October with one or more of my 4 sons and we will rip out the wood stove that has no life left in it, and install a minisplit ductless system. I am also going to have the pump changed to a submersible system so that I can turn the water on with the flick of a switch. I spent way too much time down in the pump house trying to prime the pump, then had to go back down there at 4am in my pj's to turn the water off before I left to catch my plane. That is not an experience I want to repeat. Ever. The Amish are also going to install a ceiling at some point, add window sills, and other odd jobs that are mainly cosmetic. I hired a neighbor to be the over-see-er and he will call and send photos as needed. So yes, a very successful trip and I can't wait to return! And I got a free round-trip ticket on the way back because of a place delay. This cabin has good karma!

cabinchic
# Posted: 23 Aug 2012 20:07

Quoting: VTweekender
That front wall looks like porcupines were chewing..

Are you kidding or do they really do this type of damage? I don't know if porcupines are even in this area? I thought it was water/snow rot???

Montanagirl
# Posted: 23 Aug 2012 21:15

Great cabiniski project cabinchic!!!! A beautiful site and soooo much potential! Glad you are lined up with some good help and will get a nice metal roof on before the snow flies. Welcome to the site!

Martian
# Posted: 23 Aug 2012 23:34

It looks like you are going to be shot in the arm for the local economy. Good! You seem to have things well in hand.

Tom

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.