Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Finally - My Own Build is Started
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 .
razmichael
# Posted: 14 Aug 2017 21:23

Drinking Water: Following up on last fall's post about my Berkey water filter system. As I said then, I should have just bought the filters and made a DIY system - so I did.
Used two HomeHardware food grade pails. At first I tried to glue the top of the bottom pail to the bottom of the top pail and then drill through to secure the filters but I found it was too difficult to get a good seal with the two layers. I secured the filters through only the bottom of the pail and enlarged the cutouts on the lid below to fit around the nuts. Everything was also sealed with aquarium grade silicone. Fed through and sealed a fill hose into the top pail, added a tap in the bottom running through my foot pump and put it all together. I also added a small pin hole near the top of the fill pail.

I fill it from the lake water that has been chlorinated (filters remove any chlorine smell). I have been using the red food coloring test as suggested by Berkey. Great to have an easy source of safe drinking water. If only I had saved money in the first place by not buying the metal Berkey pails, just the filters!
Filters in Pail
Filters in Pail
Complete System
Complete System
Foot Pump
Foot Pump
Faucet
Faucet

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.