Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / New 16x24 cabin going up in Alaska
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . >>
KSalzwedel
# Posted: 1 Nov 2012 14:29

My other issue is a temporary shower set-up. I can stand a couple of days with no shower, but then I draw the line. When I can smell myself it is TOO much. We won't have water to the cabin until spring (according to my hubby). I am actually toying with the idea of having my dirt guy (who lives us the road) get us hooked up and paying for it myself.

Didn't mention in my really wordy post that I called our "dirt guy" and he is coming tonight to have a look and give me some idea how much this will cost.

Still will need a temporary shower setup I think.

Also, anyone ever buy and use an Alaska Propane tankless water heater (it is a brand). We have REALLY cold well water, so I need something that can do the job. I also have rusty water, so need to know whether that interferes with these systems.

trollbridge
# Posted: 1 Nov 2012 14:52

Glad you figured out your floor plan! I TOTALLY understand the table under the window...in our place my favorite place to sit is at the table by the sliding patio door...I sit there way more often than I do the living room...now imagine if I had moose to watch...why, no one would be able to get me out of the chair!!!

I most definitely get the need for a shower set up-we need to get crackin on that too. For now we heat our creek water in a big galvanized tub on either the hot coals left from cooking on the grill or by placing the tub on the top of the wood stove. A few times I have gone down to the creek but the water is extremely cold even during the summer and it can give you a brain freeze like no other!!!!!!
why let good coals go to waste?
why let good coals go to waste?

KSalzwedel
# Posted: 1 Nov 2012 14:58

Too funny!

Baby wipes only go so far. My husband works "out" (that means in villages all over the state) and lives in trying circumstances frequently, but I am female. I can go three days, but then I NEED to be clean.

He understands this, he suggested a bathtub in place of the shower in my design because he knows how much I love my bath. I think it is the idea of actually spending the money he has saved for this for so long.

A sponge bath sounds luxurious after baby wipes (which can't give you brain freeze, but can cause pucker).

trollbridge
# Posted: 1 Nov 2012 15:01

Quoting: KSalzwedel

Then last night in the wee hours (hmm, wonder if it was Trollbridges churning thoughts that got mine going) I came up with an obvious solution.

I was, by the way, not sleeping well last night and your floor plan did cross my mind. LOL. Never finish eating Fazoli's pizza and garlic butter soaked breadsticks at 8:30 at night when you are 8 months pregnant and think that you will even get one good wink of sleep-------the indigestion was bad news as that meal sat churning in my esophagus the majority of the night!!!! I won't make that mistake twice!

trollbridge
# Posted: 1 Nov 2012 15:03

Ha ha ha ha...you are too funny!!!!

trollbridge
# Posted: 1 Nov 2012 15:06

A sponge bath sounds luxurious after baby wipes (which can't give you brain freeze, but can cause pucker).

That is hilarious!!!! But thank God for baby wipes...they do have a million and one uses!

KSalzwedel
# Posted: 1 Nov 2012 15:11

Trollbridge, your little blessing will make up for the heartburn.

Sorry to hear you thought of my dilemma all night. Or maybe, I should say glad you had my dilemma to think of all night while you wore off pizza and breadsticks.

trollbridge
# Posted: 1 Nov 2012 15:18

Yep...I should be sleeping like a rock tonight!

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 1 Nov 2012 16:15

They were in Kenai for a while. Be curious to see if any of the places still stand...
Kenai telephone company
Kenai telephone company
Kenai sign
Kenai sign
Kenai sign 2
Kenai sign 2

KSalzwedel
# Posted: 1 Nov 2012 16:17

Solid Rock camp still stands

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 1 Nov 2012 19:02

Very cool. They were also in Karluk. I will post these to a website and send you a link so I don't hi jack your project post. sorry.
PICT0106.JPG
PICT0106.JPG

KSalzwedel
# Posted: 1 Nov 2012 19:11

CabinCalls, my husband travels ALL over. He has probably been to many of the places they travelled. He would know if all of it is still there.

jeffoldhouse
# Posted: 2 Nov 2012 11:32 - Edited by: jeffoldhouse

Hi, I am new on here and do a lot of cabinet work. I was wondering if you might have considered a "u" shaped kitchen with a drop down eating area in front of the window. This would give you more storage, countertop, and still allow looking out the window from the chair. I live in Southeast Ohio and would love to build a cabin someday, but for now I just live through all of you as you go through the process.

Jeff

KSalzwedel
# Posted: 3 Nov 2012 16:39

We have windows and a completely sheeted roof. They are working on siding today (cedar and BEAUTIFUL). They expect the metal roof to arrive tomorrow. Then they still have to build a bath wall, and insulate the floor. My crew expects to be done Tuesday!
cedar siding started
cedar siding started
deck and stairs are there
deck and stairs are there
We have a door!
We have a door!
hard to see, flash, but our first sunrise through window
hard to see, flash, but our first sunrise through window

trollbridge
# Posted: 4 Nov 2012 18:57

My crew expects to be done Tuesday!

Wow...that is fast!!

Your cabin looks great! I love that front overhang...much needed when the snow starts to fly I'm sure! Keep posting pics as you have them!!

exsailor
# Posted: 5 Nov 2012 11:49

TB,
Simply amazing, I had no idea a wash tub fits so well over a Weber grill! LOL Even the dome lid fits like it was made for it.

trollbridge
# Posted: 5 Nov 2012 20:19

exsailor-it works really well and with the leftover coals the water heats really fast especially with the grill lid on...one of the best discoveries we've made!!!

KSalzwedel
# Posted: 5 Nov 2012 21:11

The crew is finishing the interior bathroom wall and they are done. 13 days of build time, two man crew. I am stunned. And it is done really well too.
front with completed roof
front with completed roof
Side that you see when you drive up
Side that you see when you drive up
terrible pic of woodstove, getting dark at 5 PM
terrible pic of woodstove, getting dark at 5 PM

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 5 Nov 2012 22:36

Looks amazing. Will you finish the interior? Does the cedar get stain or paint?

Doesn't seem like there is much block holding up the overhang with as much snow as you get. Did they just lay the a 2x6 on its side every 24"? I am sure they do it all the time...I am no expert on this detail. Just learning. Also did they notch the 2x6 into the gable end to eliminate air leaks ot lay it on top of the wall?

trollbridge
# Posted: 6 Nov 2012 09:28

I 2nd that...it does look amazing and you must be really excited. Your siding is beautiful and I like the color of your roof.

Woke up to snow here this morning-winter is definitely marching in...when do you plan on moving into your cabin? Will you take the whole winter to finish the interior? It will be a fun progression to watch, I am excited

KSalzwedel
# Posted: 6 Nov 2012 19:56

Cabin calls-there are two huge beams holding up that overhang. You can see one in the last pic. Plenty big enough for snow load here. Not sure about the 2x6 notching. Didn't watch that close.

Siding will get couple clear coats, no color. Want to keep it light and bright.

Trollbridge- thanks. I can't take compliments but my crew has gotten plenty. We woke up to snow this am too! Snow shed off that lovely metal roof like melting butter. No ice dam in this house!

We will be finishing the interior. Slow going from now on out, I am sure. But it is ours. I locked the door and deadbolt today. Very satisfying.

oldbuddy
# Posted: 7 Nov 2012 17:59

Man....you guys have been busier than a one-armed paper-hanger! What great progress you have made. I love to watch the work through photos. It must be obvious...we have about 200 pics on our site presently.

It looks like you'll have the cabin sealed up tight here pretty shortly. You should be proud of your efforts.

I'm off tomorrow so I think the "little lady" and I will go up and spend a few hours together and probably cook up a good meal while we're there. I bought venitian-blinds for all the windows and I'm planning on installing them so we can cut down the light on occasion as well as closing them completely at night. Talk to you later. Keep up the good work!

Old Old Buddy

KSalzwedel
# Posted: 7 Nov 2012 23:40

O.o.b, you do know we didn't build ourselves. We aren't as talented as you folks. But boy did we have a talented crew. They get all the credit for getting us weather tight so fast.

KSalzwedel
# Posted: 8 Nov 2012 02:32

So, today the crew finished last minute touches. They delayed one day in order to move gear about 15 miles away where they will be building a free cabin for a widow in foreclosure. They do one free cabin a year to the person with the most need.

I cleaned up some sawdust, wiped down the wood stove, put out the snow mat, put in some camping tables, our kitchen table, and a closet pole for hanging winter gear. It felt fantastic.

Waiting to fire up the stove til the hubby goes with me on Sunday.

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 8 Nov 2012 08:27

Exciting! Maybe one day when your house is done we'll come stay in your Guest Cabin!

Keep posting pics...please

neb
# Posted: 8 Nov 2012 08:42

It looks great!!!! Alaska what a place to call home you are very lucky person!!!!

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 8 Nov 2012 12:06

Ahh the wonderful feeling of moving into the cabin. I collected things for my cabin for close to 25 years before it was built.

oldbuddy
# Posted: 8 Nov 2012 17:09

I remember lighting the stove for the first time. Actually, what I remember most was leaving the cabin with a fire in the stove. I worried about it all the way home, all that night and wondered if it would still be standing our next trip up. IT WAS. After that, it was real easy to leave it and not worry. You'll find out what I mean. Good luck in your new little home!

Old Old Buddy

KSalzwedel
# Posted: 8 Nov 2012 19:31

That would terrify me too. I'd be afraid of a blaze. We can't insure the cabin until it has an additional form of heat, a bathroom, and a kitchen. ARGHHHHH.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 8 Nov 2012 19:40

We have a propane stove with no other form of heat,no bathroom and are off grid,no address except for the parcel description with insurance on the cabin and contents.

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.