Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Our Hand Hewn "Cabin"....in the making
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . >>
turkeyhunter
# Posted: 11 Sep 2014 18:11

your cabin is looking great!!!

the blasted logs look great!! make sure to post some pic's after they are stained and sealed..

when will first frost be in your neck of the woods??

Smawgunner
# Posted: 11 Sep 2014 20:01

Quoting: turkeyhunter
when will first frost be in your neck of the woods??

Here in southern Ohio is about September 20th ...ish.

hattie
# Posted: 12 Sep 2014 12:36

Quoting: Smawgunner
found this tiny Ball jar under the cabin. No idea what it was used for.

It looks like a homemade piggy bank. I'm guessing they used it to save their money.

Your place is really coming along great!!!

Smawgunner
# Posted: 14 Sep 2014 15:51 - Edited by: Smawgunner

The sandblasting is finished and I have to say, the far exceeded my expectations. The place is spiderweb free and not one sign of mice...yet. Everything is so clean it's amazing. The ceiling joists turned out great.

[url= ][/url]

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 14 Sep 2014 21:14

the sandbasting looks GREAT!!!..really brighten the place up

Smawgunner
# Posted: 16 Sep 2014 19:13

A couple before and after pics of the same corner of the cabin. Pretty cool!
[url= ][/url]
[url= ][/url]

Bevis
# Posted: 16 Sep 2014 22:38

I agree, the sandblasting really brightened up the place. Did it just clean off the dirt or did it get into the wood at all?

Smawgunner
# Posted: 17 Sep 2014 12:27

I was hoping it would etch into the wood a little bit more but mainly removed all the junk

Smawgunner
# Posted: 8 Oct 2014 18:59 - Edited by: Smawgunner

Things are starting to come together! I can finally see light at the end of the tunnel here. My wife and I put a coat of clear on the logs today and they look incredible! It's actually starting to smell good in there now and no sign of any mice. Still have to put the second coat on. The logs on the second floor I'm certain are made of a lighter weight wood. I read that they sometimes used a different type of tree that would not be as heavy to lift. When we put the clear coat on, those logs stayed very dark while the down stairs logs remained much lighter.
The electric should be run in the next month or so! Then I start chinking the logs.

left side untreated, right side treated
[url= ][/url]

[url= ][/url]

bldginsp
# Posted: 8 Oct 2014 22:10

Looks very nice Smawgunner. I take it the beams are your interior finish so that there will be no insulation.

Curious- what supports the ends of the cut beams at the windows? The appear to be hanging in space, if not attached to the window frames themselves.

Smawgunner
# Posted: 9 Oct 2014 07:14

Quoting: bldginsp
I take it the beams are your interior finish so that there will be no insulation.
Curious- what supports the ends of the cut beams at the windows? The appear to be hanging in space

Very observant! Oddly enough at one point I believe they were pinned to the frames of windows. Now they are just held in place by those large planks behind them. I can't see the other side but I think there are large nails driven through the planks into the logs. It's been like that over 100 years. I'm going to leave the outside cladded to look like an old home to deter thieves. The inside is going to be insulated and chinked between the logs.

Lou Sifer
# Posted: 9 Oct 2014 07:21

Boy there are some major gaps between those logs.
I guess they built that way on purpose, not trying to minimize the gaps?Lots of chinking required.
That may be why it was clapboarded over.Lots of log cabins had that done.Or the north walls were sided.
To tighten them up some.

tombiosis
# Posted: 9 Oct 2014 09:29

Looking forward to seeing your progress in pictures! Looks awesome!

klb67
# Posted: 9 Oct 2014 11:06

Lou,

Not to speak for Smawgunner, but that's the way they were built back then, at least in the OH and PA area, as opposed to a stacked log cabin style. Google colonial log house. Some were later sided like his to cover the logs.

Smawgunner - I think it is tremendous that you/your family decided to preserve this building rather than raze it for a new cabin. You can't build that kind of character today. I'm glad to see it appears to be working out well for you and look forward to the updates.

Smawgunner
# Posted: 9 Oct 2014 11:31 - Edited by: Smawgunner

Quoting: Lou Sifer
Boy there are some major gaps between those logs.

It's odd, but they actually put shims between the logs to raise it up about an inch and a half between each one. Total rise was probably about a foot, so the ceilings are high!

Smawgunner
# Posted: 9 Nov 2014 17:45 - Edited by: Smawgunner

Looks like this may be the last decent weekend before the Polar Vortex hits! Finally framed out the chimney stone. I'm pretty happy with the results. I'll be putting tile down between the lip and the floor upstairs to keep the heat away from the floor as much as possible. Next I'll start working on the stone pad that the stove will sit on. I hope to have heat and electricity by January 1!!! Some before and after pics!
[/url]][/url]
[url= ][/url]
[url= ][/url]
[url= ][/url]
[url= ][/url]
[url= ][/url]

Smawgunner
# Posted: 31 Dec 2014 12:22

We finally got electric!!! I can't tell you how good this makes me feel. I'm tired of lugging that damn generator around!!!
DSCF4005.JPG
DSCF4005.JPG

bukhntr
# Posted: 22 Feb 2015 16:39

Wanted to share a show called barnwood builders. I happened to catch an episode last week on Great American country TV. He makes a career of finding, taking down and reconstructing old cabins. I recalled your project. I love to see the old restored. Keep the updates coming.

Smawgunner
# Posted: 22 Feb 2015 19:56

Thanks Bukhntr. Sounds like a pretty cool show..haven't seen it yet though. I haven't updated this page lately but lots have been done since. Got the wood stove chimney in place, the upstairs finally has a ceiling and electricity and now I'm working on the stairway. Fooling around with my compost toilet too.
IMG_0140.JPG
IMG_0140.JPG
DSC_3937.jpg
DSC_3937.jpg
IMG_0148.JPG
IMG_0148.JPG
IMG_0141.jpg
IMG_0141.jpg

Smawgunner
# Posted: 22 Feb 2015 19:57

Composter. Trying to find a wooden barrel for the "throne"! LOL
IMG_0203.JPG
IMG_0203.JPG

Steve_S
# Posted: 23 Feb 2015 10:15

The beadboard ceiling certainly adds that timely charm ! Are you planning on staining or painting it ?

I don't remember seeing it in the thread but are you going to leave the logs exposed and just chink in between them or are you going to cover the walls up ? Personally, I'd be hard pressed to cover them up but then again I love the look of raw wood... Nothing beats Mother Nature for the beauty she imbues into everything, she is afterall, the greatest natural artist there is.

I was just thinkin, maybe a nice bit of Neb's wood carving would so perfectly suit your place....

Smawgunner
# Posted: 23 Feb 2015 15:12

Hi Steve,
Yes, as soon as it warms up to where I can paint, I'll be painting the ceiling an antique white. Yeah, those logs are so beautiful that I'll be exposing them and chinking between. It'll be a log cabin on the inside and an old scary Alfred Hitchcock looking home on the outside! Truth be told I don't have the money to chink the outside...maybe down the road. For the upstairs where it's studded, I'll come down with barn wood siding and then chink the rest of the way down. Stay tuned!

Steve_S
# Posted: 23 Feb 2015 16:35

I dunno if you've seen those "new" tin ceiling panels that have come out recently. They look like the original 1800's stuff available in tin & copper (copper = more $) but I also just saw a variation today which made me think... (yeah, I was furtling about the lumber supply place) and they are made of a composite and finished like the metal and much cheaper than the metal.

I had been looking at the metal ones, thinking for my bathroom ceiling (going to use corrugated in shower area) but the $ was a tad scary, even for a small washroom but these new ones are 1/2 the price... I'm going to be looking into this more, as I was the "charm of old" in my new shack.

If I could only find an old log building to dis-assemble and rebuild... lots around here but everyone thinks it's gold with platinum pricing - even for ones 1/2 fallen in... sheesh...

Smawgunner
# Posted: 23 Feb 2015 19:49

Those tiles are neat. I've never seen the composite ones those. It's funny, when we bought the property, they gave the house zero value. I didn't even know it was a log home when we bought it,...it was in that bad of shape!

TomSmith
# Posted: 26 Feb 2015 10:47

I spent the last hour reading this thread. I really like your property and think you are doing a great job on the restoration.

Malamute
# Posted: 27 Feb 2015 01:30

What are you planning to chink with? Sorry if you mentioned it before, I'm sort of catching up backwards.

Smawgunner
# Posted: 28 Feb 2015 21:19

The chinking (inside only) will be Portland cement/sand and lime. I'll put batting insulation behind that. I wish I hade the money for Permachink or other synthetic chinking.

Smawgunner
# Posted: 16 Jun 2015 16:02 - Edited by: Smawgunner

Haven't posted in while but things are going well. Got the stairs in albeit VERY steep. Similar to what was there in the first place. Got all of the wiring and walls in upstairs. Ceiling is in and painted. Baseboard in. Got the trim done with the two back windows. Next is painting the walls and chinking!
DSC_3994.jpg
DSC_3994.jpg
DSCF6089.jpg
DSCF6089.jpg

littlehouseontheprarie
# Posted: 16 Jun 2015 16:48

I am quite amazed at the transformation your place has taken.
I am so happy that you had the vision to see what could be.Most people would look at the before and run away.
The work you did is nothing short of awesome.

Smawgunner
# Posted: 23 Aug 2015 21:12

Chinking is going way better than expected. I gotta figure out a better way to mix this stuff,...it's killing me!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.