Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / One-and-a-half Story Cabin near Mattawa
<< . 1 . 2 .
leonk
# Posted: 20 Aug 2014 21:46

too bad about the tranny...
how much land goes for over there..?
u can email me at leonkaz yahoo com if you prefer

Wilbour
# Posted: 20 Aug 2014 22:41

Quoting: leonk
how much land goes for over there..?

You may find your info at mls.ca

duster
# Posted: 21 Aug 2014 13:14

Hi FishHog: If you bought the land, then it's yours - not the crown's - and you can do with it what you like, as long as you follow the rules set down by the province, the municipality (building codes) and the local conservation authority (permission to put in a dock).

The good thing about the Mattawa area is that the rules are fairly lax, compared to more touristy areas further south. As long as you don't do anything to annoy the neighbors you're left alone, I'm told.

leonk
# Posted: 21 Aug 2014 13:53

MLS is asking price, has nothing to do with the final price, only agents can see closed deals on MLS and I am not one.
A lot of rural properties don't make it to MLS, they're sold by word of mouth.
WRT Pine. I understand similarly to mineral rights it depends on the deed.
Some properties come with mineral rights and some don't, some come with timber rights and some don't and the latter includes or not the pine trees. It seems to be complicated here's decent read, though from 1994
www.carflaw.ca/rsv_of_timber.March2013.pdf

Crown Forest Sustainability Act should be a good source of info too.

Sorry, OP, didn't mean to hijack your thread.
I'd definitely debark the logs, it's not huge effort (though not insignificant), but it increases useful life of a building from 10 years to 100

FishHog
# Posted: 21 Aug 2014 15:11

thanks guys. Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack the thread either. Just raised the question in my mind. I should have started a new one.

FishHog

duster
# Posted: 22 Aug 2014 12:22 - Edited by: duster

Leonk - the further you are from a major city the cheaper the land is, The price also depends on whether you want to be on water. Waterfront -obviously is more expensive. I doubt if you could find any lakefront land of any size in Ontario for less than 60 or 70KK.

If you don't need waterfront, and will setlle for a couple of acres in the bush, you could find something for as little as 12K.

As Wilbour said, your best bet is to look on MLS.ca. That's what I did,

duster
# Posted: 15 May 2015 18:28 - Edited by: duster

Back up for the first weekend on the site in 2015. It was pretty cold/rainy Saturday and Sunday so not much progress. Still trying to sort the tools in the shed and set up a lean to for the generator, so I can sleep in the shed, for now.
I've picked a site for the small cabion (the bunky) and expect to gte started on a foundation after black-fly season ends, late next month.
IMG_0589.JPG
IMG_0589.JPG
IMG_0593.JPG
IMG_0593.JPG

duster
# Posted: 15 May 2015 18:38 - Edited by: duster

I also put a tarp over the site fo the small cabin to (hopefully ) kill the vegetation. Hope it works; if not, a long weeding job by hand. I'll know next month.
tarp.jpg
tarp.jpg

duster
# Posted: 15 May 2015 18:41

Also...I've dcided to do something questionable for the foundation for the small cabin. Instead of using deck blocks on patio stones, I plan to build a small fieldstone wall with mortar and some of the (many, many) rocks on the property. It's mostly brown granite.
But I'm not sure whether a fieldstone wall will suppport 8 or 9-foot-high log walls. Any suggestions?

Steve_S
# Posted: 15 May 2015 19:59

Grab some Gabion Cages and fill them with the fieldstones. Put landscaping fabric on the bottom, then the layer of rocks. You could dump concrete or type S mortar mix in there with the rocks to bind it all together as well. Drainage is necessary of course, drain to South Face (warm side).

Not sure how well that would hold up a building depending on how big it is but something on the small side (less than 20x20) should be OK. Do consider insulating the floor of the building though with rigid foam if possible.

upndown
# Posted: 16 May 2015 03:15

Hey duster, not trying to pour salt in your wound, but building a cabin you may want to rethink your vehicle situation. Although a nice buggy, the Escape falls a little short as a construction vehicle. JMHO, your mileage may vary..haha.

Beautiful area as well as piece of property! I have much lake envy, unfortunately in Arizona lakefront property is pretty much non existent.
Good luck with your build!

duster
# Posted: 19 May 2015 16:55

Thanks for the advice Steve - I'll lay down a bit of gravel before I build the wall; hopefully that'll take care of drainage; sakrete to bind the rocks together. Since it's only 14 x 7.5, I'm hoping it'll be okay.

(And upndown, you're right about the Escape - I'd never buy one again. Got it in 2011, and I'm now on my third transmission.)

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.