Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Our 16x30 in Arkansas...
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Bzzzzzt
# Posted: 27 Mar 2015 21:24

Looking good Cisco. We're almost neighbors! My cabin is north of Berryville/Eureka Springs right on the state line. What town are you near?

Cisco
# Posted: 28 Mar 2015 01:36

North of Clarksville on the Johnson/Madison/Newton county line. I lived in Green Forest from 1995-2001

Bzzzzzt
# Posted: 28 Mar 2015 16:10

I was through that area yesterday. I was in Hot Springs for a funeral and then went by the cabin for a bit before returning to Kansas City. The buffalo river and Ozark national forests are some of my favorite places. I was disappointed going through Boxley valley because I only saw one cow elk.

jrbarnard
# Posted: 29 Mar 2015 09:07

Keep the pictures coming My wife is from Arkansas, so she enjoys seeing the pictures, makes her think of home.

R

Cisco
# Posted: 29 Mar 2015 10:08

Haha! Our Hillbilly image keeps people away!

On a serious note, I've been to Colorado 4 wheeling, Yosemite national park hiking and many other places. There is no place prettier than Boxley valley with a huge 6x6 grazing in the fields, Steel creek campground and bluffs while floating the Buffalo or a Saturday afternoon cruising down the Mulberry River.

I've lived here all my life and I truly believe it is one of the best kept secrets in the US

Cisco
# Posted: 28 May 2015 21:13

A few new pics from the interior walls. Pallet board up top, tin wainscot and cedar chair rail. Also note the A/C unit in the gable.

Progress has slowed. We are in full tournament baseball season with our 9 year old son. We spend all free weekends at the cabin but rather than work we've been fishing, trail riding and having fun.

My wife and I are school teachers. Summer break looms so the progress should pick up
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Cisco
# Posted: 28 May 2015 21:21

If you've followed the news and weather here in the south central US you know it's rained a lot! We've had massive flooding!

Two weeks ago we were at the cabin and got 7.5 inches of rain in less than 24 hours!!! Needless to say we couldn't cross our creek and got stranded.

We had to walk out through the woods to a road where we were picked up by a friend. It took 5 days for the water to recede enough for us to go back and get our truck and trailer.

In the pics the first one is where we usually drive across the creek

The second is my son pointing out some leaves indicating how high the water got. The night after these pics it POURED and the water rose 5 feet over what you see here!
The creel crossing
The creel crossing
Water height.  It actually rose 5 plus feet over this mark later that night
Water height. It actually rose 5 plus feet over this mark later that night
Creek from back of the cabin

Cisco
# Posted: 4 Jun 2015 22:39

We went and pulled some 100 plus year old wood from an old home on my wife's parents property. Theses board were on the inside and were covered in tar paper and some cardboard like drywall.

When I pulled that off it revealed perfectly preserved rough cut pine.

We took a wire brush to the wood to clean it. Then we painted it with barn red paint cut half/half with water. Next came 80 grit sand paper until the desired looked was achieved.

This will be an accent wall in the cabin living room.

The other wood we just scrubbed and lightly sanded. It will go in the bathroom and may get a coat of some kinda clear. Check out the pics
Accent wall for living room
Accent wall for living room
More accent wall
More accent wall
Bathrrom
Bathrrom
This may get a coat of clear
This may get a coat of clear

Bzzzzzt
# Posted: 6 Jun 2015 00:03

Quoting: Cisco
I'm in northwest/north central Ark. North of Clarksville about an hour

You may not be far from our cabin. We're north of Eureka right on the Missouri border.

Cisco
# Posted: 14 Jun 2015 16:13

Got our accent wall in the cabin put up. Need to trim it but it's 95% finished
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Simpleman
# Posted: 14 Jun 2015 20:02

Cisco, love the wood paneling. We are in the process of deciding what to put on the interior walls of our cabin. Looks great!

Cisco
# Posted: 14 Jun 2015 20:34 - Edited by: Cisco

The walls are pallets we cut up. The red accent wall is 75-100 reclaimed rough cut pine.

Great thing about the pallet wood is if you scrounge they can usually be had for free.

travcojim
# Posted: 14 Jun 2015 20:58

You are not far from me, I am about 20 minutes from fallsville, if you don't count the 30 minute cruise down the dirt road till I get to HWY 16. If you know red star I am down the road from the headwaters school.. No cabin yet..someday..

Cisco
# Posted: 6 Jul 2015 23:27 - Edited by: Cisco

I have a few updates. I got my sewer pretty much completed. It's a DIY system that wouldn't pass code anywhere but I think it's sufficient and it seems to work well.

Remember I'm in the foothill of the Ozarks where the norm is an actual outhouse. So any working septic is a huge step up.

Pics are pretty self-explanatory. My only concern is my ditch filled in and I'm afraid my lateral line may not be deep enough. In the end it'll be covered with a little over 3 feet of rock and soil. If it doesn't work I'll dig it up and redo it.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Cisco
# Posted: 6 Jul 2015 23:41

In the first 2 pics you can see my big girl, Emmy. She's a 6 year old mixed breed pound rescue we adopted when she was 3 months old. She is a champion mouser/rat killer!!!

To catch this big fat thing she crawled ON HER BACK under the cabin into a space half her size. I just knew she was going to get stuck or electrocuted chewy near wires. But when she smells a rat or mouse she gets a one track mind/zoned in focus that you cannot break. She eventually rooted it out and caught it on the run. Doesn't she look proud?

The second 2 pics is showing the before and after of applying polyurethane. You can see the difference on the door and the pallet wall past the door is not stained.

We are using a semi-gloss clear.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Kev
# Posted: 6 Sep 2015 22:46

Another Arkansas guy here. Im in SW Ar, 10 miles north of Hope. I have a question about your spray foam. How thick is it for the 1.26/sqft? We have been throwing around the idea of doing that to our cabin.

cabingal3
# Posted: 7 Sep 2015 02:28

really nice doors.
lots of work .looks good.
cute doggy

Cisco
# Posted: 7 Sep 2015 19:50

Quoting: Kev
miles north of Hope. I have a question about your spray foam. How thick is it for the 1.26/sqft? We have been throwing around the idea of doing that to our cabin.

The wall's are as thick as a 2x4 is wide. So about 3.5 inches. The ceiling is lathed with rough cut 4x4 cedar beams. So I have a true 4 inches in the ceiling.

I love the spray foam. I cooling with a 12,000 BTU A/C and it get VERY cool in the cabin. In the winter, I have to be careful with my fire. It gets so warm I have to open a window.

My only complaint about the spray foam is this... It has sealed the cabin so well that ther is ZERO air flow. When the cabin has been closed up for several days it gets a musty smell.

Form what I read this is pretty typical and a de-humidifier would cure the issue.

Cisco
# Posted: 7 Sep 2015 19:51

Quoting: cabingal3

really nice doors.
lots of work .looks good.
cute doggy

Thanks. She caught another rat today. That makes 8. She's a really good friend

Kev
# Posted: 7 Sep 2015 21:43

Quoting: Cisco
The wall's are as thick as a 2x4 is wide. So about 3.5 inches. The ceiling is lathed with rough cut 4x4 cedar beams. So I have a true 4 inches in the ceiling.

I love the spray foam. I cooling with a 12,000 BTU A/C and it get VERY cool in the cabin. In the winter, I have to be careful with my fire. It gets so warm I have to open a window.

I think we need to call someone about the spray foam. because that is a lot cheaper than I thought.

I love cedar. Our property is mostly cedar and we have a saw mill and are cutting all of our siding, walls, and ceiling planks out of cedar.

Kev
# Posted: 7 Sep 2015 21:49

Thats a link to my cabin build, if your interested in taking a look.

http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/2_5950_0.html

Cisco
# Posted: 8 Sep 2015 10:25

I built my wifes kitchen lights this weekend. The box is made from old rough cut oak. The lights are made from old oil funnels. And the cords are just light kits from Amazon.
cabin_lights_3.JPG
cabin_lights_3.JPG
cabin_lights_2.JPG
cabin_lights_2.JPG
cabin_lights.JPG
cabin_lights.JPG

Kev
# Posted: 8 Sep 2015 19:32

I just realized that you lived in Green Forest. Do you know Scot Joubert?

Cisco
# Posted: 8 Sep 2015 19:38

I coached football there from 1995-2001. I coached Guy Joubert. Maybe Scot was his father or brother?

Kev
# Posted: 8 Sep 2015 19:53

Guy is his son and my wife's cousin. That's crazy.

Cisco
# Posted: 8 Sep 2015 20:25

Small world

Kev
# Posted: 8 Sep 2015 20:46

Yea it is. She also has a aunt and uncle in berryville. He does cedar furniture, and is pretty amazing at it lol.

Cisco
# Posted: 30 Sep 2015 09:36 - Edited by: Cisco

The Pex has started going in. I have most of the indoor plumbing finished. Heading up this weekend to work some more.

If everything goes as planned I will be using the inside toilet by Saturday evening!
Pex.JPG
Pex.JPG

Cisco
# Posted: 6 Oct 2015 13:50 - Edited by: Cisco

Well, I am proud to say that I officially have indoor plumbing!

There wont be any more cold winter nights sitting on a bucket freezing to death. My wife is especially pleased!

Right now only the toilet is functional. However, hopefully in 3 weeks I'll be taking hot showers as well.

I set up a manifold system using Pex tubing. This method cost me a little more money but it was totally worth it. I've never done any plumbing before and this was almost idiot proof.

Plus the manifold makes the entire system modular. I can shut off each fixture independently and still have water to the other fixtures.

I am sure a seasoned plumber would scoff and my tube routing but it doesn't leak and will be encased in walls.
Manifold with 6 cold ports and 4 hot ports
Manifold with 6 cold ports and 4 hot ports
pipe routing out of manifold
pipe routing out of manifold
3/4 in Pex Main water line
3/4 in Pex Main water line
1/2 in Pex running thru bedroom wall to sink and toilet
1/2 in Pex running thru bedroom wall to sink and toilet

Cisco
# Posted: 6 Oct 2015 14:01 - Edited by: Cisco

Here are a couple of pics of the well house and how the well is connected to the Pex.

The PVC you see running through the concrete is the only PVC in the entire system
Pic of the wellhouse
Pic of the wellhouse
well pump and connections
well pump and connections
Early morning and dark cabin pic
Early morning and dark cabin pic

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.