Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / The Stump Ranch
. 1 . 2 . >>
fpw
# Posted: 3 Jul 2010 11:48

I've been working on a hand scribed log cabin on 40 acres about 25 miles east of Hinckley, Minnesota.

Blog detailing this project is located at www.peelinglogs.blogspot.com

fpw
# Posted: 4 Jul 2010 22:55 - Edited by: fpw

A few photos. The bunkhouse has been home for tool storage and sleeping while we are building the Stump Ranch which is a 20' x 22' (inside dimensions) hand-scribed log cabin.

Our 40 acre property is located on McGowan Lake about 25 miles east of Hinckley, Minnesota. We are about 3 miles back in the woods accessible only by ATV, so hauling in materials is certainly a challenge.

Last week we spent a day and hauled in a TimberKing 1220. Once we finish the setup, this mill will be used to cut the ceiling, decking, and flooring from Red Oak and Aspen on our property. Once we wrap up the cabin, the mill will be used to cut the beams needed for a few timber framed outbuildings.
Bunkhouse
Bunkhouse
The Stump Ranch
The Stump Ranch
Inside The Ranch
Inside The Ranch
Hauling in the Mill
Hauling in the Mill

fpw
# Posted: 12 Jul 2010 21:18

Set up the TimberKing 1220; learning to cut. Taking two weeks off work at the end of July. This should be enough time to get the decking material on the cabin, close everything in, and start building some furniture.
DSC01733.JPG
DSC01733.JPG

nathanprincipe
# Posted: 13 Jul 2010 00:12

Now THAT is dedication! Good work fpw, cant wait for a progress report

fpw
# Posted: 25 Jul 2010 16:19

Learning to run the Timberking 1220 and cleaning things up some.
Milling Equipment
Milling Equipment
Tool Table
Tool Table
Chair Cut From Aspen Stump
Chair Cut From Aspen Stump

fpw
# Posted: 3 Aug 2010 22:13

Signs of civilization. I milled up some Red Oak and made a dinning room table, installed some stairs, railing, and a test solar shower.
Stairs
Stairs
Table
Table
Shower
Shower

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 4 Aug 2010 10:33

Nice work, fpw!

How do you get water into the shower barrel? Do you climb and pour using pails, pump, or somehow else?

fpw
# Posted: 4 Aug 2010 20:37

The shower is a test rig, I wanted make sure it works. I filled it with water by setting up a scaffold next to the shower. The final version will be a timber framed support structure with a 55 gallon drum at the ground that gets hand pumped up to the shower structure. The hand pump will have an option to add a gallon or two of hot water to the shower drum.

Gary O
# Posted: 7 Aug 2010 00:24

Man, you are truly livin' the dream, fpw.
That interior is going to start lookin' good.
Are you going to keep it all natural (wood/stone work)?
We built our little 10 x 12 cabin last summer, and are preparing for the larger one. However, even tough I'd love to use logs, my aging back cries NO!!!!
I really appreciate what you've done (and 3 miles in!!!, OMG!).

How much is that Timber King rig? (in case a miracle happens to my lumbar)

fpw
# Posted: 9 Aug 2010 20:07 - Edited by: fpw

Hand-scribe log work...better be prepared to invest some time as it is slow going...big time! And, it is even slower being 3 miles back in the woods; however, I am quite stubborn.

The interior will be finished with Red Oak planking that I will cut this fall and let dry till next summer before installing. This will cover ceiling and flooring. I also plan to do a little stonework.

The TimberKing with 2 bed extensions and a loading ramp was a little over 7K. I decided on the mill after I priced the ceiling and flooring material. Because I have plenty of trees and will need to cut beams for my outbuildings that will be timber frame construction, it made sense to invest in a sawmill.

Gary O
# Posted: 9 Aug 2010 23:15

It makes sense to me.
Like the natural risers on your stairs.
Roughly how long to cure your red oak planks?
I did a couple book cases out of semi-green fir. Had everything tight, plumb and trim. Weeks later it looked like I'd soaked it in water.....all warped with the dowel pins releasing. Kinda heart wrenching.

How'd you get that ridge beam up, jin pole, cherry picker?

Was that metal roofing much to get up? Any heartache there?
We settled for comp, but looking at the metal for the larger structure.

You should have a good experience with timber framing. I personally think it's the only way.

Jerry
# Posted: 10 Aug 2010 08:57

Nice!! I'm from Hermantown and have a cabin on 43 acres on a small lake up near Eveleth. Full of wild rice and we'll begin ricing sometime in the next two weeks. I've often thought about buying a small, but probably couldn't justify it for what I need. Thanks for sharing. You're doing a fantastic job.

Jerry

Jerry
# Posted: 10 Aug 2010 08:58

A small bandmill that is.

fpw
# Posted: 10 Aug 2010 18:14

Ridge pole? Now that is a story...

I made a lifting shear from spruce and installed the ridge by myself (my son was scheduled to help, just didn't work out).

http://peelinglogs.blogspot.com/2009/09/rigging-ridge-pole.html

Red Oak for the stairs were cut a year and a half ago when we cleared the area for the cabin. They should not shrink much.
Installing the Ridge
Installing the Ridge

fpw
# Posted: 10 Aug 2010 18:16

PS. I really like the metal roofing compared to shingles. It is much faster. My metal was 14' sheets; two guys could handle them no problem (one on the roof and one handing them up).

Gary O
# Posted: 13 Aug 2010 22:29

Enjoyed your blog spot. I've done a few things like that. It's very hard to appreciate it all unless you have. And to take pix along the way, to boot. You are a very patient man. And that's what it takes.
Hats off to you

fpw
# Posted: 16 Aug 2010 10:15

Hauling Red Oak. Big storms dropped a few trees on the path the cabin. It took me about two hours with a chainsaw to clear the pat so I could get back to the cabin.

This Red Oak, will be cut up with the mill and installed as the facing boards for the eaves that I am working on.

The log arch and ATV are life savers for moving stuff around the Stump Ranch and I can reach areas that the Oliver 880 can't get near.
ATV, Log Arch, and Red Oak
ATV, Log Arch, and Red Oak

Gary O
# Posted: 21 Aug 2010 09:53

Keep posting, fpw. It's very inspirational.
I have a place in my heart and mind for using logs on my next structure, as a gypo peeler mill for lodge pole pine is ten miles away from our land. Just gotta convince the lower back.

Don't forget the camera on your trips in, for the rest/thinking periods. The pix are priceless.
A great short story in the making...........

fpw
# Posted: 30 Aug 2010 22:55 - Edited by: fpw

We are finally getting the cabin to lock up. My wife and I spent the weekend finishing off the eaves and starting on window installation. This type of work goes much quicker with both of us on site.

I hauled all the windows back to the cabin with the Oliver 880.
This beast is worth every penny I paid for her. I have to be careful and drive slowly with the tractor; however, I can't imagine hauling in all my building materials by hand.

I made the table below out of Red Oak messing around in my garage. I will, likely, haul it out to the Stump Ranch for use a coffee table when I get around to it.
Hauling in Windows
Hauling in Windows
Eave Vents Installed
Eave Vents Installed
Red Oak Table
Red Oak Table

fpw
# Posted: 31 Aug 2010 22:29

Installed a couple of windows and installed the facing boards for the eaves.
Window
Window
Window
Window

Gary O
# Posted: 1 Sep 2010 07:04

Lookin' good.
Love that you kept the facias in their natural shape.
Thanks for posting, fpw

fpw
# Posted: 19 Sep 2010 22:21 - Edited by: fpw

Recent Projects
DSC02029.JPG
DSC02029.JPG
DSC02043.JPG
DSC02043.JPG
DSC02068.JPG
DSC02068.JPG

fpw
# Posted: 8 Oct 2010 21:45 - Edited by: fpw

Color change is here, spent the day cutting a few beams for a shed project.

Jon
Cabin
Cabin
Bunkhouse
Bunkhouse

fpw
# Posted: 1 Nov 2010 13:48

Installed the last window:

http://peelinglogs.blogspot.com/2010/11/log-cabin-window-installation.html
DSC02154.JPG
DSC02154.JPG

LakeSuperior5
# Posted: 2 Nov 2010 17:35

WOW!

fpw
# Posted: 22 Nov 2010 14:49

Installed the front door; the cabin is at lock-up. Old door; new life.
DSC02290.JPG
DSC02290.JPG
DSC02324.JPG
DSC02324.JPG

cabingal3
# Posted: 16 Dec 2010 05:32

beautiful place i tell u.wonderful.

fpw
# Posted: 4 Jan 2011 18:52

A day for the snowshoes.
DSC02391.JPG
DSC02391.JPG
DSC02398.JPG
DSC02398.JPG
DSC02413.JPG
DSC02413.JPG
DSC02416.JPG
DSC02416.JPG

fpw
# Posted: 5 Feb 2011 19:03

Man, am I ready for spring. However, won't see the warmer temperatures till April or so. In the mean time I have to be happy that the 10 below zero weeks should be history for this year. And, we should see temperatures generally above zero for the rest of the year.

I have many projects lined up and I am itching to get started. Hopefully, spring comes early this year.
ATV with Chains to Fight the Snow
ATV with Chains to Fight the Snow
TimberKing 1220 Waiting for the Spring
TimberKing 1220 Waiting for the Spring
Sunset at the Stump Ranch
Sunset at the Stump Ranch
Still Have to Rely on the 4 Dog Stove for Heat
Still Have to Rely on the 4 Dog Stove for Heat

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 7 Feb 2011 10:12

this is a awesome camp and set up----good job

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.