- Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Our Tiny Cabin Experience
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . 9 . 10 ... 55 . 56 . >>
Gary O
# Posted: 12 Apr 2011 09:59 - Edited by: Gary O

Quoting: Just
just poor water in the top

That has been my plan.
Not sure if I'll have to do that every time.
Been readin' that a check valve will help, but pumping becomes harder.
Hate to have cabi work so hard at pouring my bath and all......

BadgersHollow
# Posted: 12 Apr 2011 10:09

Quoting: Gary O
Are you an Oregonian, or out of state owner?

Been a relative mild winter...2-3' snow accumed, mixed with sporadic melt offs.

Welcome to the forum, and the neighborhood!

I've lived in Oregon for the last 10 years and just purchased my mountain property in January. I'm literally at the base of Mount Scott - a spring fed creek born on Scott runs through my parcel. I've made several day trips up this winter (I live down in the Rogue Valley) and the snow has been persistent. It is just bare ground right now, so this forum has been great for broadening my knowledge base by learning from others.

Gary O
# Posted: 12 Apr 2011 10:21

Quoting: BadgersHollow
I live down in the Rogue Valley

Oh those Rogue river steelies.
Ever get into those 'half pounders'?

just bare ground right now

How big a place are you considering?

Mount Scott?
Boy, you really are across the hwy.

bushbunkie
# Posted: 12 Apr 2011 17:28

Hi Gary, water makes all the difference at the cabin! I draw from about 24 feet, which is close to the limit. I have a foot valve on the tube...so it keeps the water up and makes priming easy. They went down a 120 ft through rock to hit water at the cabin (Canadian shield)
This year was our first experience with it...primed it in June and was good to go every time I came up...didn't have to prime again.
Just pulled the hand pump (100.00) and plastic pipe out in the Fall and stored it in the outhouse.
Hope it works for you......will it be scotch and water now????

Gary O
# Posted: 12 Apr 2011 18:49

Quoting: bushbunkie
......will it be scotch and water now????

Scotch w/still be neat
However, having water w/be just as neat.......

Foot valve on the tube, prime, pull off the valve, then connect the pump?

BadgersHollow
# Posted: 12 Apr 2011 20:13

I'm still in the very early stages of site planning. I have 5 acres. The first thing I need to do is push a lane in from the forest service road. I have an easement across a small strip of timber company land. It is all pumice and ash base, so it should be pretty easy. I just have to wait until the snow finishes melting.

Once in, I have an RV to use for the summer. I have a lot of deadfall and beetle kill to clean up, so am considering building a very small cabin out of this resource. I'm reading, Building the Alaska Log Home by Tom Walker right now. The one he describes is a bit bigger than I want to go for the the first go round.

I've heard that our county doesn't require permits for a structure under 200 square feet. Is this true?

BadgersHollow
# Posted: 12 Apr 2011 20:17

Ever get into those 'half pounders'?

I flyfish, but have yet to really target the steelhead. Maybe they are too smart for me. I like mountain trout streams, much more peaceful. The water is more managable. I'm anxious to try Miller Lake later this summer. And then, hit the Ana River by Silver Lake.

Gary O
# Posted: 12 Apr 2011 20:52

I'm anxious to try Miller Lake later this summer.

Later in the summer would be about the only time without a snow cat.
10 pounders in that lake.
Yeah, steelies are elusive, but the summer runs should take yer fly, since they are the only ones that hit due to hunger.
Love to read your fish stories in my other thread (Fish tales).
I've heard that our county doesn't require permits for a structure under 200 square feet. Is this true?

True, 200sf.
There are height restrictions too.
Can't have a wood burner, or elect without a permit, so do yourself a favor (and your neighbors) and don't ask.
If you decide to build larger than 200 SF without permit, talk to your neighbors.
If you decide to build anything, talk to your neighbors.
If you decide to do most anything, talk to your neighbors.
In our neck-o-the woods, the authority is the neighbors. Law opts to stay out unless they absolutely have to, by bein' called out.
And I love that part of it all.
Git yer road in, pard, and come over for a brew sometime this summer (bring the brew).
Watch out for my neighbor crazy Greg though...he'll shootcha if I'm not there...gone 'round the bend a bit.

There's a gypo peeler core guy called 'Doc' up in Beaver Marsh. Ask around. He'd get you a good deal if you're considering log structures with lodge pole.

BadgersHollow
# Posted: 14 Apr 2011 22:33

Gary, a good friend of mine is giving me her shed/playhouse. It is 8x12, framed up with doors and windows. 7' tall walls, but the roof is no good for our area - flat, as in no pitch. I think I'll rip that off and make a half loft. You mentioned a height restriction for our county. Do you know what it is before I have to go to the land of permits?

Gary O
# Posted: 15 Apr 2011 00:31

Verbatim from the county:

The following residential improvements do not require a permit:

•Create uninhabitable one-story detached structures, such as sheds or playhouses, of less than 200 square feet and no higher than ten feet measured from the floor to the average height of the roof.

To be serious, man, if you use your place as a hunting/fishing getaway, build what you want (not too huge) and if you put a wood burner in it, do it to code (for safety, and when and if you happen to get inspected).
You seem to be a thinking individual, so I don't have tell you 'safety first', right?
I'd stay away from the sheds and play houses, just due to the simple fact of inferior (OSB) materials, and usually 2 x 3 construction. You're right, not for snow country....but, a gift is another story.....if you have some building experience, maybe you can build something safe from it.
But, just for the sake of aesthetics only (and I'm quite vain about the looks of where I abide) I'd build what I want to look at, and use the play house as a tool shed (lean-to style).
You can have three structures.
Very very few get permits here....county personnel are looked upon with disdain. County Narcs don't come out (they know better).
If you call 'em, I never heard of you, nor you me...K?

Gary O
# Posted: 15 Apr 2011 01:00 - Edited by: Gary O

BadgersHollow
I really want to bend your ear (face time).

Got lots to say to you.
However, there's not enough space on this thread, and it's w-a-a-a-y past my bed time, so gotta giddy down.
Giddyup up is at 3:30, leaving work at 10:30 and headin' to the cabin.
Jeep is packed, guns, grub, water and camera.
Yeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Gary O
# Posted: 15 Apr 2011 08:54 - Edited by: Gary O

To continue (then I'm done with this):

•Create uninhabitable one-story detached structures, such as sheds or playhouses, of less than 200 square feet and no higher than ten feet measured from the floor to the average height of the roof.
I do love to take apart verbiage (drives attorneys nuts)
Take this phrase:
•Create uninhabitable one-story detached structures
"Yessir yer honorship, ahm livin' in it, but you may note thaet it shorely is 'unihabitable'......but thaets jus' me fer yuh."

But this phrase really caught my eye:
"and no higher than ten feet measured from the floor to the average height of the roof."
'average height'
So if your lean-to or 'A' frame was, say, 16' at the highest point, would it not be well within the 10' "average height"?
At the very least, the phrase is moot.

".....and you may note, yer highnesship, thaet mah uninhabitable structure is well within the saz constraintments of the county dictations........see exhibit Aey, may I approach that there bench and show you mah exhibit?
Izzat OL Spass yer wearin'? Kinda purty smellin'
Hey, where's everone goin' and what does case dismissed actually mean?"
192_sf_A_frame.JPG
192_sf_A_frame.JPG

BadgersHollow
# Posted: 15 Apr 2011 12:21

All of this is good information and I appreciate it GaryO. The shed looks much like the shed on the homepage, 2x4's. It will need some sprucing up. Ultimately, it just might be a shed. But, it will be good to tinker with to develop my carpentry skill.

The sand creek highway cam shows white stuff flying - again! It seems as though winter will not go away. What I like about our area are the self-reliant, creative type of folk that I've been able to meet. I haven't encountered any shady varmints yet.

I'll bring those beers over when it warms up someday up that way.

Gary O
# Posted: 17 Apr 2011 18:38 - Edited by: Gary O

Ultimately, it just might be a shed. But, it will be good to tinker with to develop my carpentry skill.

Absolute

The sand creek highway cam shows white stuff flying - again

Just got back from camp.
Yeah, Badge, I saw the Sand Creek cam Thurs, roads clear, no sign of snow, made the decision to go....the wife took a peek Friday and saw it snowin' like a banshee (but didn't mention it to me until we were halfway thru the Cascades).
The drive from Portland is usually about five hrs in the Jeep, but I kept it floor-boarded and we got there in 4. All roads clear.
That I-5 Portland to Eugene drive is mind numbing, as the only curves encountered were my eyeballs rolling back in my head. Even pulling a nose hair, tears and all, only perked me up enough to witness the adjacent screaming family of whose lane I'd chosen to share.
But, of late, when the hwy hypnotizes me, I've learned to put the pedal to the metal, and everything just floats along like it was in slow motion. Then again, it may be that the massive 4 banger under the hood can hit 67.5 mph with a tail wind (down hill), and the cars and trucks were just passing us a bit slower than usual......

If your road starts at mp 223 where the WT Ranch sign is, don't go just yet. It's full of drifts, looks like two foot or more.
We had to hike in, 'cause ma nature likes to pile her drifts on our road about 100 yds from the cabin.
Otherwise, all clear.

Gary O
# Posted: 17 Apr 2011 19:18

Just got back from camp. Part 2:

Rebirth is never disappointing.

Did some slash burning.
Made a dent in the dead fall piles.

But, within the first hour we were there, I'd found the water depth and capped the well.
15 feet...oooooh, yeah.
Funny thing, last trip when Cabi discovered the well, I'd written down the width of the pipe....somewhere...........
So, grabbed several various sized caps at Home Dopey (hey, it's 240 miles).
The end piece is 1 ¼"...but it was a collar!
Yeah, I bought several sizes of plugs too.
'Nother funny thing, there was a line coming from the pipe, so I hauled it up. It had a socket for a weight on the end. A very wet socket.
I ran a small 25' tube down the pipe. Put my thumb on the end, and pulled it up. Water is at 15'. Looks clear, but will buy a test kit.

Next trip is pitcher pump hook up.

BadgersHollow
# Posted: 17 Apr 2011 19:19

Do you drive up HW 58? If so, that is a pretty drive - Odell Lake, old growth forest, even a hot springs right off the HW.

Gary O
# Posted: 17 Apr 2011 19:23

Just got back from camp. Part 3:

A few pix
Burn baby burn
Burn baby burn
Multi-tasking
Multi-tasking
more to burn...one day...one day
more to burn...one day...one day

Gary O
# Posted: 17 Apr 2011 19:28

Do you drive up HW 58

Yup
Been awhile since I tapped Odell. You?

Gary O
# Posted: 17 Apr 2011 19:31

a few more pix

That Octo window provides some great moon light in the cabin
OCTO_WINDOW.jpg
OCTO_WINDOW.jpg
CABIN_FRONT_AT_NIGHT.jpg
CABIN_FRONT_AT_NIGHT.jpg
BACK_OF_CABIN_IN_DAY.jpg
BACK_OF_CABIN_IN_DAY.jpg

bobrok
# Posted: 17 Apr 2011 19:54

Glad *somebody* is able to get in. Nice pix, esp. the multitasking!!!

Gary O
# Posted: 17 Apr 2011 20:03 - Edited by: Gary O

Quoting: bobrok
esp. the multitasking!!!

Yeah, had to work up to it.
The tragedy was, as cabi and I went over our list 12 noon Fri, we both concurred that we had a jug in the cabin......not so.
No Irish coffee.
Had to stumble around sober.

naturelover66
# Posted: 17 Apr 2011 20:31

Glad to hear you had a nice weekend......... and a safe trip !
The Pictures are beautiful........ here in michigan we are getting SNOW tonight........... i dont think spring will ever get here.
I am going to my new cabin on Thursday....... i can hardly wait !!!

Gary O
# Posted: 17 Apr 2011 21:10

Quoting: naturelover66
dont think spring will ever get here.

Been a long long winter
Savor the anticipation

Just
# Posted: 17 Apr 2011 22:48

did you give that water the taste test ?

Gary O
# Posted: 18 Apr 2011 09:08

did you give that water the taste test

Yeah, right....
Gonna buy a test kit.
However, all the neighbors with wells have really sweet water.
Kinda scary knowing that around 15 feet down (most anywhere) is water, as we are atop an underground lake.

Scarier note is the possibility of an artesian well.
One summer night cabi and I hauled our sleeping bags to the edge of the meadow and layed 'em out over a nice patch of green foliage, slept the eve away, with the exception of a moment of semi-consciousness and hearing water running, like a stream.
Mentioned it to cabi in the morn. She said she heard it too (so not one of my many weird dreams).
Talked it around with some locals...lotsa artesian wells in the immediate area.
Not sure how to address the possibility of harnessing something like that.
With all the geothermal activity in our neck-o-the woods, it'd be our luck to tap into some sorta geyser.......
on_top_of_old_smokey.jpg
on_top_of_old_smokey.jpg

BadgersHollow
# Posted: 18 Apr 2011 11:30

Gary, you probably already know about this, but before I purchased my plat, I referenced the Oregon Water Well web site.

http://apps.wrd.state.or.us/apps/gw/well_log/Default.aspx

Drillers have to report to the state, so I was able to get an idea of the existing wells around me. You just need the township, section, and range. Your well may not have a report, maybe it was done by hand or something. But, I found this site as informational.

cabingal3
# Posted: 18 Apr 2011 12:04

Had to stumble around sober.

thank the good lord we had to stumble around sober u crazy man! we can barely make it around as it is.
we probably would have fallen in the fire!

Gary O
# Posted: 19 Apr 2011 08:51 - Edited by: Gary O

Gary, you probably already know about this, but

Really didn't know
Thanx Badge!

Yes, it was pounded in by hand, but I'll be checking to see if it was registered.........

Thanx again

And, yes, let's hook up this summer.....we'll have the brews.
Hope you like squirrel Fricassee.......just kiddin', can't hunt squirrel in the summer months....it'LL be vole pot pie....M-M-M-M-M

Just
# Posted: 19 Apr 2011 09:23

pounded in by hand

That meens it's a sand point well 1 1\4 pipe all the way down ! I don't think you can use a check velve in that small a pipe . I have 3 similer wells they all have the check at the top of the well .They all have a 1 1\4 brass check at ground level then 2 ft. of pipe then the pump ..." No " tubing down the hole !!!

Gary O
# Posted: 19 Apr 2011 09:31

They all have a 1 1\4 brass check at ground level then 2 ft. of pipe then the pump ..." No " tubing down the hole !!!

We are one on this, Just.

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . 9 . 10 ... 55 . 56 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.