Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Newbie/Northern Wisconsin 12'x24'
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 .
iwas9409
# Posted: 3 Dec 2023 16:23

@gmdomke We received the call that Ivan can do out project in 2024. Did you do your project this year?

Who did you 'plans'?

Where you placing your cabin?

shollatz
# Posted: 28 Dec 2023 16:32 - Edited by: shollatz

Hi,
Did you have trouble getting the necessary permits for the cabin? We are having an Amish cabin built. We plan to have it put on our property in the town of Strongs Prairie Adams County Wi. Our builder is in Chili Wisconsin. The builder uses a building inspector from Chetek, during construction. Did you have to have a building inspector come and inspect the cabin after putting it on your property? The Twon of Strongs Prairie building inspector is telling us "Amish cabins are not allowed in Wisconsin." We are frustrated and unsure how to proceed. Any advice?

gcrank1
# Posted: 28 Dec 2023 17:23

Maybe it depends upon the purpose of the 'cabin'; ie, look into a 'hunting, fishing, recreational building' that doesnt need a 'certificate of occupancy' like a house does?
Of course, that may well depend upon township and individual inspector.....some are hard nosed.

ICC
# Posted: 28 Dec 2023 21:09

Each county/state/city inspector does have a lot of power. However, they cannot make broad statements without being able to back the decision up by pointing to the code section that covers the declaration they make. Some do try to wield their power recklessly.

We have had to deal with that type and at times have gone to their bosses with a carefully laid out version of what we believe to be correct. It does help to be conversant with the codebook.

Now, that said I have seen Amish built structures that simply do not meet the letter of the codebook and may otherwise be fine. We have also seen some structures that have deficiencies in design and many that are excellent.

The person inspecting at the factory building site may be okay with what he sees, but if the final inspector says "No", ask for an explanation of the issue. You might be out of luck though, if the structure does not follow the codebook and the final inspector follows the letter of the book.

Ask the final inspector what he sees as the problem with Amish-built structures. He may have some valid concerns, He may have seen some previous examples that have code shortcomings, but I think it is wrong to make such a broad statement without seeing the structure.

One relatively common fault can be the absence of rafter ties as some builders are wont to do in small buildings that sometimes are glorified sheds. To me, that sort of thing would be a valid reason to red-tag. Hopefully the final inspector is a reasonable person and will take a little time to talk to you instead of simply ordering you.

-izzy

gmdomke
# Posted: 28 Dec 2023 22:56

Greetings All,

Our Amish built cabin is in Douglas Co. and we have been working closely with our local building inspector as well as the building inspector in the county where the cabin was built. Our builder (Ivan Schrock) worked with the inspectors to insure we had a cabin delivered that met state and local code.

This did require much communication from me with the inspectors and Ivan throughout the process. I am close to final sign off now and couldn’t be happy with our cabin.

Happy to chat with anyone working through this process. Please DM me.

Best wishes!

Grant

chipjansen
# Posted: 1 Jan 2024 14:41 - Edited by: chipjansen

Hi Grant,

We just visited Ivan last week. The cabins look great and we are thinking about one for this or next year. Did your inspector go to see Ivan during your build? Was it one inspector you had to work with through the entire process? From the threads it seems there might be a few inspectors people had to deal with and they were not on the same page for what met code and what did not.

Thanks!
Chip

gmdomke
# Posted: 2 Jan 2024 13:30

Hi Chip,

Ivan works closely with local inspectors and in our case the inspector for the township where our cabin is located wanted to do all the inspections. He made a trip or two down to Ivan’s farm and Ivan and Edward walked him through the build and he did the rough inspection there.

Once the cabin was moved to our property he came out and did another inspection.

This was a process but it worked out okay for us.

Be sure to start the permitting process sooner rather than later. I served as the general on my project and learned a lot. Having someone do that for your will save some headaches, especially if they know the inspector(s).

Best,

Grant

chipjansen
# Posted: 2 Jan 2024 17:11

Thanks Grant for the quick feedback. Ivan seems really involved to help make the process go well. I will keep a general in mind to make sure it goes smoothly.

Scorpio125
# Posted: 16 Jan 2024 10:43

gmdomke

Hello! Im looking into a property in Juneau County and want to put in a cabin. I am Very Interested in Ivan's cabins.

How do I get a hold of Ivan? I am very interested in the design of the original post from 2015.

Just starting out! Any help is appreciated!

~George

DaveBell
# Posted: 16 Jan 2024 11:19

Quoting: Scorpio125
Hello! Im looking into a property in Juneau County and want to put in a cabin. I am Very Interested in Ivan's cabins. How do I get a hold of Ivan?

Google ivan schrock cabins

Shrock's Hilly Acres in Chetek, Wisconsin

2038 4th Ave.
Chetek, WI 54728
+1(715)835-5050

https://lacrossetribune.com/places/schrocks-hilly-acres/business_4000032178.html

Scorpio125
# Posted: 17 Jan 2024 12:05 - Edited by: Scorpio125

chipjansen
Or
gmdomke

Was wondering if i could chat with either of you about your experiences?

Im not sure how to send a DM on here.

Thanks!
-George

chipjansen
# Posted: 19 Jan 2024 13:02

Hi George,

You have to just go out there and visit him since he does not have a phone. You can send him a letter to tell him when you will visit and he will around. We went out on a Thursday morning and he was there. The weekdays work best. We just got preliminary information from him about the cost and scheduling. Maybe there is someone in the chat that has done a complete cabin with him. Good luck or let me know if you have any other questions. Chip

Scorpio125
# Posted: 19 Jan 2024 13:12

Thanks! I am planning on going up there soon. In the next couple weeks.

Just curious if you got a price estimate for the model in the original post?

Thanks for the reply!

-George

chipjansen
# Posted: 19 Jan 2024 13:28

Great! The price can vary depending on the layout. He has so many blueprints to choose from. He is very helpful on walking through them. Keep in touch and let me know how it goes. Me as well.

-Chip

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.