Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / 12x16 Cabin Shell complete
toddheyn
# Posted: 31 Aug 2010 06:15

My wife and I just returned from a two week "vacation" where we were able to erect our 12x16 cabin shell. The cabin also has a 6x16 covered porch area on the front and a 6x16 enclosed storage area in the back.

We will be back in October and plan to insulate and panel the interior. The inside will have a small 3x5 shower/bathroom and a small kitchenette that will have our rv stove/oven, sink and three way refrigerator.

Projects for next year include completing the porch, building an outhouse and a covered area over the hand pump on the well.

Please enjoy our photos

White Birch Acres

Gary O
# Posted: 1 Sep 2010 06:59

Great pictorial.
Nice size.
Love the porch/storage extensions. Your design?

toddheyn
# Posted: 1 Sep 2010 10:46

Not my design. My wife found a design for a 12x12 shed in a book from the library that I modified to 12x16 and decided to enclosed the rear portion for storage. It really fits what we wanted/needed.

olfool
# Posted: 1 Sep 2010 17:07

Wow been designing my own cabin, and the way you did your storage area gave me some ideas!! Thanks and keep pics coming.

mlhall
# Posted: 1 Sep 2010 21:40

Great Pictures Toddheyn. Like the storage part on the back.
Matt H.

toddheyn
# Posted: 12 Oct 2010 11:40

We just went back to our cabin over the Columbus Day Weekend to hang insulation and panelling inside.

It still needs quite a bit of moulding but it is liveable in the cold weather now.

Here is a link to the photos on photobucket

Cabin Interior Photos

toddheyn
# Posted: 4 Dec 2010 21:32

In case you were folloing this thread, I have started another photo essay showing the interior. The new thread is listed here:

http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/6_689_0.html

fooboo
# Posted: 4 Dec 2010 22:44

What a great design! I like that you did not over-engineer the size of the framing members - it all looks just right. The storage porch and the rock around the perimeter were brilliant ideas.

Did you do anything to the soil before placing the deck blocks on the ground or are they just sitting on grade?

Can you tell us your roof pitch and the general geographic area so we can gauge what your snow load will be? I'm also interested in knowing the sizes of the floor joists and roof rafters you used.

I noticed you used purlins over the rafters and attached the metal panels to the purlins. Minimalism at it's finest! I see you then installed insulation on the inside of the ceiling. I wonder is there an air gap between the insulation and the metal roofing and if not, do you worry about moisture buildup there?

Thank you for sharing your cabin build - you have done a fantastic job! I hope I'm not bothering you with too many detail oriented questions.

toddheyn
# Posted: 5 Dec 2010 06:55

Fooboo, Thanks for the compliments.

I did not do anything to the soil before I placed the dek blocks. There was just minor leveling of the blocks. The plan is that there are enough blocks under the cabin to support the weight and when the ground heaves, it will do so evenly because the ground has not been disturbed.

The roof pitch is 4/12 and we are located in St. Lawrence County in Northern New York State. We used 2x6s for both the floor joists and rafters.

When we insullated the ceiling/roof we also installed black plastic vent channels from the eves to the peak. I have not yet but will be putting in two 2" round vents in each channel to allow for air flow. That will be one of the first jobs when we go back.

Gary O
# Posted: 5 Dec 2010 11:18

Quoting: toddheyn
I did not do anything to the soil before I placed the dek blocks. There was just minor leveling of the blocks. The plan is that there are enough blocks under the cabin to support the weight and when the ground heaves, it will do so evenly because the ground has not been disturbed.

That's always been my thoughts. It's worked on my previous builds, but I think I'm going into the ground for the next one. Mainly cause it's going to be a bit bigger than my usual, and I'll have a 2nd story (loft).
However, still in the mental valley about it all.

claypat11
# Posted: 3 Jan 2011 11:33

Great job, Teddheyn! Thanks for posting the pictures. Awesome looking cabin!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.