Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / My Cabin Adventure into the Green Havens of the PNW
. 1 . 2 . >>
Tyler Danann
# Posted: 6 Nov 2015 20:21

This is just the start but I'll be telling the video first, then the story afterwards!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tA-w616Uio

Tyler Danann
# Posted: 6 Nov 2015 20:33 - Edited by: Tyler Danann

Here's the trailer ready to roll out for the inspection, I've removed the board so the inspecting officer can see the electrical wiring.

In the background, while all this buzzy work is going on I got a lucky-break with my quest for a battle-rifle. As many of you learned folks will know the UK outlawed semi-automatic rifles (center-fire) back in 1988. I was therefore prevented from owning a piece of history which was the FN FAL L1A1. HOWEVER, look what followed me home one sunny day...

Ammo is expensive for it though, so I could get very much of it. I'll probably get into reloading someday and make it cost efficient that way.

Tyler Danann
# Posted: 6 Nov 2015 20:35

The journey from the Greeley Grotto to the trailer inspection depot complex was uneventful. I have to say that apart from the 'max speed of 55mph' warning on the tires the trailer functioned pretty good.

On getting there I put my rusty trailer-reversing skills to the test and moseyed on in to the complex.

The building was like something from Gattaca - all isolated and in stark contrast to the surroundings of high desert plains. An interstate was nearby and I noticed a lot of highway patrol machines. My appointment was with a deputy sheriff no less and out we walked to inspect the trailer.

He wasn't a nit-picker and gave it the once over, then checked the lights were functioning and operating ok. Then it was a case of filling out paperwork and off I trundled to the registration office!

Once there, after queueing-up for what seemed like hours and nearly melting the computer which struggled to process my elaborate and diverse picture IDs, I was finally legit with the trailer!

BUT, the woman dropped the bombshell that there were no proper license plates, only the 60 day temporary ones. The proper ones would have to mailed to my address up at the retreat...

This was only a sidenote at this stage though as I had to get the actual cargo box built for the great voyage north!

But that is another story, for another post...

Tyler Danann
# Posted: 6 Nov 2015 20:35

Completing the Trailer Build.

Having a simple bed trailer is fine and dandy, but I wanted a real box trailer for cramming in many hundreds of pounds worth of equipment for a long haul to distant lands without messing with tarps and ropes etc.

The bed for the trailer was bolted down. I only used four bolts and thread-locked nuts but it will do the job ok.

The side bracers would take some work, these needed a custom fit and a lag screw going into the base-section of each 2x4.

The sides and the roof were braced from front to rear with 2x4s internally. MMM was a help with this as he'd already built similar boxes for his old pickup truck. He also helped with the roof section.

It's getting there, just need to get the front and rear sections on. MMM advised to get them both screwed on, but I wanted much better. I wanted a door section for the rear piece for better practicality, but I had to build it first!

Tyler Danann
# Posted: 6 Nov 2015 20:36

It was time for measurements and skillsaw moves...

The front is now done, now onto the rear cargo door...

Some small noggins for the hinges and a hasp lock were what the door started with:

This gives you an idea of the interior specifics. The 2x4s brace the sides and allow the 4x8 sections to join together. I'll add some more for added structural strength later.

Additional bolt-locks are added to the cargo-door:

I deliberately made the hasp and bolt locks slightly offset so by lifting the door slightly it seals a lot better to the main-body of the cargo-box.

Tyler Danann
# Posted: 6 Nov 2015 20:36

The trailer is nearly read to roll, both bracers are installed in the internal corners:

Just before I set off MMM advised that I should have the license paper stuck to the rear cargo door. Like a headstrong fool I decided to put the thing in a double poly-sleeve then triple cable-tie the thing...

After bidding farewell to the city Grotto, wishing Mike well in getting to the Hold in future times I was off in the morning! I took with me some of Mike's gear for storage but the trailer was only at 1/4 capacity. According to the paperwork, it can take a weight of more than 1,000 lbs! We shall soon see...

The trailer didn't give me any issues, but I kept the speed to 55 mph which meant for a leisurely, but slow progress to the Hold, my first stop-off for cargo-loading.
The flapping thing that was the license paper seemed to holding too.

BUT, on arriving in Wyoming I saw that Mike's warning ought to have been heeded!

No paper, technically no legality. I still had my little registration slips but no license paper/plate, with nearly 1,000 miles to go meant I had to be a careful Ryder indeed...

Tyler Danann
# Posted: 6 Nov 2015 20:37 - Edited by: Tyler Danann

I arrived at the Hold without incident though. I slept in the back of the White Wolf just before the start of the private road. I would have slept down in Encampment camping grounds until the morning but it was full of cyclist and rv people.

Just before 0600 hrs I woke up. There had been some drizzle in the night but it had mostly cleared up. Nevertheless I knew there wasn't much time, I knew the rainy weather came in waves and I didn't want to get soaked during the loading saga that was to commence...

First thing I did was make a four-point turn so that the trailer was pointing the right way back up the private road, then I proceed to unload the gear Mike had given me to store. This only took a few minutes and was a cinch, although the 50 lb of concrete was a bit tricky to move with.

It was the long trek up three ascents with broken terrain in between for most of it and a narrow trail to negotiate that would test my balance and hiking skills. I would have to empty out my cabin shed of hundred of lb in equipment too and return down the mountain with it. Thankfully the ground was not too damp or soft.

I wanted to be off the Hold by 1000 hrs but as the long, near sisiphean task dragged on I had to drink plentiful sugary drinks to keep my relentless pace going.

Eventually all that was in the shed was Mike's stuff. His Lee Enfield rifle, the hallowed Big Berkey water filter and a few odds and ends I could not stuff into the cargo-box nor pickup.

I had to leave behind my trust studded snow tires, I also accidentally took some of Mike's Enfield ammunition in my ammo box too. One day I'll have to get that back to him.

Nearly all the other stuff was loaded in fairly neatly though. I was utterly exhausted though, it was just after 1200 hrs when I decided it was time to depart the Mountain Hold. My feet were sore, I was too tired to collapse the failed Ram Pump project (it protudes onto Mike's neighbors land) nor could I re-barrier the gateway area.

It was a shame to leave the Mountain Hold with the original cabin site only 10% complete. The two posts I erected will have to hold the line for a few years, as will the five purlin logs too. I hope they won't fall down the mountain-side with erosion from the snow-melt.

As I drove back up the mountain road towards the highway I noticed how quiet it was, perhaps the rainy weather had kept the many cabin people at bay?

I'll miss many of the cabineers and wonder what the next few years will bring at my new distant destination...

The Pacific North West!

Tyler Danann
# Posted: 6 Nov 2015 20:38

It took me two days of traveling to get to the Green Havens. I calculated I'd used $130 for the 800+ mile journey. To do the same thing in the UK would easily cost double that, maybe even triple!

Driving at 55 mph for nearly all the way was a laborious task after the 500 mile mark
I passed a few Highway Patrol Enforcers but either my Ryder Luck was smiling, or they understood why I had no trailer number plate.

Once though an unmarked 'camoflage' pursuit vehicle lingered behind me, then it moved out and drove on ahead.

I slept at a rest area, with a trailer though I could park with the big rigs which I find are a light blocker and don't tend to move as much. I would have preferred to sleep in the trailer than cramp-sleep in the back of the Wolf, but I wasn't about to unload any of the stuff at the rest area. 12 hours of road time later I got close to my destination. Once I was under 50 miles to go time didn't seem to drag so much anymore.

Finally though I made it. The long exodus was at an end. The tall, green forests of the All-Forest were everywhere and the sun was blazing down.

The trailer held together, although one of the side bracers was loose and two of the bolts had come partially apart from their wooden noggins! All that had prevented the door from flying open was my trust hasp lock and the chunky padlock I'd used! Minor repairs were needed! Yet I had to unload all my stuff first.

Then there was where to put it all! I had no shed built yet and only the flimsiest idea for a land-building-plan. After a few hours I had some areas with gear and tarps to protect it all. At the days end my lady-friend called me up! I was on date-time in a few days. These previous and next few days will be most eventful I think...

Tyler Danann
# Posted: 6 Nov 2015 20:39

Today was log-moving day.

Deploying the Tirfor for the first time allowed the cabin site to have vehicular access.

Cityscape visit tomorrow, I have a few birds to buzz with one Ryder!

Tyler Danann
# Posted: 6 Nov 2015 20:40

The weather has been very windy of late, it makes me wonder if one day I should have a wind-powered device to buzz-up some electricity as well as the solar.

Speaking of which.

I was getting very good solar from this neat little setup:

Power from being stored for nearly a year in a shed at 10,000 feet:

Power after two buzzing days of sun, 13.1 volts right here:

Cooking area has shade throughout the day:

No buildings or structures means I've gotta just use tarps for protecting tools and other gear:

Tyler Danann
# Posted: 6 Nov 2015 20:41

I moved this ridge post log using the tirfor, I get about one foot of movement for about ten seconds of Tirfor action:

I'll try and get a video of it in action for you folks later.

Here's the water tank in action.

I fill it up at the well and drive it back to the Ryder's Retreat for decanting into jerry cans.

Once I get more trees cleared and felled I'll buzz the trailer into the heart of the acerage.

Here's one more tree felled for construction. It's a bit wonky, but should make an ok eave log.

It may seem slightly close to the power tent but I got it to fall where I wanted it with wedges to direct the fall.

Tyler Danann
# Posted: 6 Nov 2015 20:41

Had a busy day today. A wasp decided to sting the Ryder early on, the heat was on and I had logs to sort out! Resisting the urge to unleash chemical warfare on their nearby nest I shook off the feeling of liquid razor blades in my wrist. Then I planned my next step...

First move was to get the first log for peeling to the position I needed at. I used the trusty tirfor for this duty.

Next was to install a Skywire for hoisting the logs up and down. This is not a job for casuals, in fact it's quite foolhardy if you aren't careful. In the construction industry the technique is colloquially referred to as bondling but is heavily frowned upon. Nevertheless needs must when the Ryder is toiling to get a retreat built!

Using the largest diameter cable commercially available at a big box store I had 3/8s of multi-strand steel-wire. I used bull-dog clips on both ends to make a pair of loops. Then into these loops I used a shackle and a carabiner to make them connectable. Finally Two thick sections of rope on two trees made the Skywire nearly ready!

The final part was to tension the thing. A turnbuckle is doable but awkward as you're wire length has to be adjusted to quite narrow tolerances.
A pull-lift (comealong) is ideal and extremely proficient at tensioning. I had neither so instead had to resort to the cheapo harbor-freight ratchet reel.
This bonked me on the head earlier in the day (:mad and my lesson-teaching :thumb: resulted in a crescent wrench now being the method to tension it up.

But tension it I did somewhat, from there it was just a case of clipping on the trusty chainblock and I had my Skywire set up. For now I'll be using it to land the logs on a pair of sawhorses. Later in time though the cabin will be constructed with the Skywire between two of the bigger trees.

This was the first lift. It was capable but you can see the lack of tension caused serious sag in the cable. The weight of the log didn't help either. As it's green there must be about 250 to 300 lbs in the thing!

It's about 15 foot long and a lotta bark to come off too!

Once it was in place it was peeling time! After about 30 - 45 minutes this thing was the result...

Compared to when I was at the Mountain Hold it was a lot more easy, but the lack of high elevation was a factor there, as was the fact I didn't have a Skywire set up for peeling logs.

This is after I re-tensioned the line, you can see the difference. It should be ok for most of the post lengths, for the jumbo-logs that are 30 foot long it should be interesting though.

I decided that a production-line effect was needed, so I clumped a few mish-mash logs next to the peeling-zone, removed a few dead treelings and this was the result:

So it's just a case of 'roll-off', lift-on with each log. They can dry out over the rest of the summer all being well.

Rowjr
# Posted: 7 Nov 2015 12:28

Interesting

DaveBell
# Posted: 8 Nov 2015 11:24

Tyler,
Did you pack the wheel bearings with grease? I bought one of those for my ATV and the assembly instructions didn't bother to tell the owner to pack the bearings.

DaveBell
# Posted: 8 Nov 2015 11:40

My brackets are exactly 2"x4". Someone forgot to tell the Chinese that a 2x4 is really 1 3/4 x 3 3/4. Don't know what to do about that other than mill my own. So my brackets have wiggly 2x4s.

You can see I remounted the tail lights on the fenders. I also home run the tail light ground.

And the recommended tongue jack is a POS. A friend told me to get a BullDog jack.

Soon as I get a round tuit.

I do like unloading the ATV and using the trailer as a camp table.
May25_005.JPG
May25_005.JPG

Tyler Danann
# Posted: 8 Nov 2015 21:22

That is an outstanding innovation on that trailer, I'll have to do the same to mine when I get around to it.

Yeah I found my 2x4s were a bit tricky, but the bolts that held the brackets in made up for it a bit.

The tongue jack is pretty crappy, I got mine from harbor freight. Better than nothing though.

The tongue itself is finniky and resulted in a chain-drag incident! No damage apart from a snapped ground wire and frayed cables though.

Tyler Danann
# Posted: 8 Nov 2015 21:23

Quoting: DaveBell
Did you pack the wheel bearings with grease? I bought one of those for my ATV and the assembly instructions didn't bother to tell the owner to pack the bearings.

I did indeed!

DaveBell
# Posted: 9 Nov 2015 05:31 - Edited by: DaveBell

I had to change the tail light location because when I go gold panning with the trailer on the ATV toting my gold dredge, tree branches were tearing up the lights. But on the highway the fenders shake the lights so bad, I'm worried the lamp filaments will break more often. Now that I have figured out how to get the entire gold dredge on the ATV, I don't have to use the trailer on the gold creek. So I will probably move the lights back.
I guess the only real innovation was home run ground wires from the lights to the front. I'm looking at this painted framing and thinking, no way I'm going to trust painted frame to be a good circuit for ground.
"The tongue itself is finicky and resulted in a chain-drag incident! No damage apart from a snapped ground wire and frayed cables though."
There is a nut adjustment under the tongue to increase spring pressure. It's tricky to find the right balance of spring pressure on the ball. i think mine is a tad too tight because the tongue unscrews the ball a little. I also keep the truck ball and tongue greased.
You have your light wires between the frame and the plywood. That may not last. You might have assembled the side rails upside down, may have to change them right to left to get that hole on the bottom.
I used my trailer folding to keep it in my garage which tore the wiring up bad. I just park it in the back yard now.
Picture_006.jpg
Picture_006.jpg
Picture_009.jpg
Picture_009.jpg

Tyler Danann
# Posted: 9 Nov 2015 08:11

Wow, complex and near-commercial gold panning operation you got going there!

Tyler Danann
# Posted: 28 Nov 2015 12:59

There's more logs to tend to also, plus many, many more logs to be dragged in...

Tyler Danann
# Posted: 28 Nov 2015 13:02

Well today was the a trip to the county-seat location then a whirlwind back to sort out the mighty 30 footer!

At first all went well, I got the mighty log lifted but, on lowering it down onto the sawhorses...

Both of them met a violent end!

The sawhorses claim to be rated to up to 350 lbs... Hmmmmmm.

THis is what it did to this rotten log too:

The chainblock had to do the duty while I peeled it 'mid-hang'

Tomorrow I'll try to get it sorted for the final peel:

Tyler Danann
# Posted: 28 Nov 2015 13:03 - Edited by: Tyler Danann

Today, despite it being 100 degrees in the shade, I managed to finish off the peeling and get the mighty 30 footer stacked in the racks!

This wasn't as easy as it sounds as several stumps, a tall dead tree and several small trees barred the great logs passage!

With my shirt feeling like an oven was slowly cooking me I kept on at it.
Eventually the log was tirfored into position with a post log for company.

Using G-Man's metal sawhorse I got the big log landed for peeling and it took the weight without buckling.

Here's the video of how I got the trailer put together for those folks that were wondering:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDiibGDthbs

Just to give the impression of the awesome weight and size of the big ridge/purlin/eave log:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCWwqAeqUZc

Tyler Danann
# Posted: 28 Nov 2015 13:04 - Edited by: Tyler Danann

Here is the Skywire Lifting System I use for lifting the heavy logs around:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35o83wT3ni8

Tyler Danann
# Posted: 28 Nov 2015 13:07 - Edited by: Tyler Danann

Some Videos of the action now follow.

Getting a dead tree down:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1Ts7inW0KY

Once it has been felled the glamor is over and the hard work begins.

This is moving it with the mechanical mover:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stvclLVMYBo

On and on the move goes until it nears the processing area:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52Sdpb_QZkk

Then it's peelin' time!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF3Ty2vHrgQ

Tyler Danann
# Posted: 28 Nov 2015 13:29

This is my water replenishment tank!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuR3zgtFAp8

Only 35 gallons but it's a start.

Tyler Danann
# Posted: 28 Nov 2015 13:30 - Edited by: Tyler Danann

Another hot day today and another tree for the felling. This one will hopefully be the ridge-pole. I had a fun time chainsawing it down too. I got the Tirfor deployed to make sure it fell the right way, gave it my three cuts, re-tensioned, one more cut and SWOOSH down went the great tree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0PXQQwcQJQ

After a cable-pulling session through the day (I had to move other obstacles etc), I had the mighty 30 footer ready for lifting and peeling.

I wonder how many more times I must call upon Trebor the Tirfor? I hope he lasts as I paid a small fortune for him to be deployed. He gets a daily greasing to make sure his joints are ok so we shall see...

Bit of a traffic congestion here, the other tree will have to wait a few more days as he isn't a priority.

Finally in position for lifting and peeling:

I had a quick check of the log and saw this!

A hidden stone must have done that, just as well I leave the bark on for when Trebor moves the logs around! Still the rock has helped remove the bark without damaging the sapwood.

I will be very glad when the long girder logs are all stacked in the racks! Two are down and I have another three to go! The difficulty isn't so much the weight of them, it's finding a tree that is near-to-dammit straight. Once you go over 13 - 16 feet in length of a tree there's a much greater chance of bends, kinks and swerves to contend with. I don't mind a slight curve but many are only suitable for posts, some barely capable for a 14 footer!

Sometimes I feel like this Sisyphus guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ukRmYp0ftg

The Labors of Ryder continue...

Tyler Danann
# Posted: 28 Nov 2015 13:31

How much can my Trebor Tirfor take I wonder? I decided to try and find out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-RWLNEok9Q

This tree was over 1500 lbs (est) and about 70 foot long. The Cable Puller did its duty though as it hauled ass enough for the tree to be in a position for me to trim off another 30 foot section. This tree had a dizzy swerve though so only 14 foot can be used for construction duty alas. Still, it was a good test of Trebor.

Déjà vu was setting in as I went to lift the great log from the previous day. It groaned and moved but the Harbor Freight tensioner keeping the line taut was no match for the battle and it paid out instead.

I moved on to felling the last of the long girder log-trees.

This is a fir tree, just look at all the branches I have to sned off!

This one vanished into the forest. Come back!

Two are in awkward spots to drag out with Trebor so I concentrated on the easy one first, I trimmed, de-limbed and pulled it in closer.

Tomorrow is city-visit day when I have to re-supply and do chores. No video today, hopefully there's enough to be keeping you entertained already until the next one.

OutdoorFanatic
# Posted: 28 Nov 2015 19:17

Is that an AR 10 .308?

OutdoorFanatic
# Posted: 28 Nov 2015 19:24

Watched the vid. SWEET! You are a very lucky and talented man.
Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Tyler Danann
# Posted: 30 Nov 2015 16:16 - Edited by: Tyler Danann

Quoting: OutdoorFanatic
Is that an AR 10 .308?

Nope, it's an FN FAL! A DS Arms SA58 to be exact.

URL

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.