Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / another 12x16 with loft Norther Michigan (Elk Country)
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 .
evrmc1
# Posted: 22 Apr 2012 18:39

I like it alot do you have a total sq.foot cost?

kbvalley
# Posted: 22 Apr 2012 19:08

I'm at $5086 as it sits today. More than happy with the total and the savings to date.

justincasei812
# Posted: 23 Apr 2012 09:18

kbvalley,

Very nice place you have there!!! I have a cabin just southeast of Grayling on 10a Looked all over for a little more land with a cabin already built but just couldn't fine what I was looking for. Wish I could get out and build a cabin like that but due to the lack of knowledge and a couple of surgeries finding a place that was built was a little more within my comfort zone!! Congrats on the place have fun and don't work too hard.

kbvalley
# Posted: 23 Apr 2012 09:55

Thanks for the compliments. I like Grayling, shorter drive and close to the Au Sable. When i started last year The only thing I had built before was a deck. I bought a book "how to build a house" at lowes and read a lot on this site and other forums. I picked a lot of people's brains and mulled over the next 2 moves in the weeks leading up to my going back up. That's probably what helped the most is thinking about it before hand as opposed to just jumping into it. Working on it every other weekend also helps to keep the cost manageable as I didn't have thousands of dollars dedicated to this project.

It's funny, I have a friend that came up for a visit and is a smart guy, but there is no question in my mind or his that he would not be able to build a cabin of his own. So, books work for some but it seems that you need to have the type of mind that can understand the basic concepts of engineering. Doesn't hurt to be an "over-builder" too. Gives you peace of mind.

Would be nice to get some of the mini cabin folks in Michigan together for visits to eachothers places. If you built a cabin or remodeled one you sure could help accelerate a future builder concepts and knowledge.

justincasei812
# Posted: 24 Apr 2012 12:49

kbvalley,

I would love to build but after two hip replacements and back surgery, all before the age of 42 I really don't think I will be climbing on too much of anything. I will extend an offer to stop by any time though!! just let me know when your headed up that way. Not sure if I will be there this weekend as walleye season opens in the river system and flip flopping around doing that or going up with a buddy of mine to cut wood. Usually up there every other weekend and then if the kids want to go we go and extra weekend out of the month as well.

kbvalley
# Posted: 7 Jun 2012 21:49

The project is moving into the decoration phase soon, which means that I have been busy. I got the well and pump hooked up, bathroom installed, kitchen completed and floors finished. I have to paint the lower walls and finish the base trim and chair rail. Life is good (now that there's running water and a commode.
IMG_0932.JPG
IMG_0932.JPG
IMG_0930.JPG
IMG_0930.JPG
IMG_0926.JPG
IMG_0926.JPG
IMG_0924.JPG
IMG_0924.JPG

kbvalley
# Posted: 7 Jun 2012 21:51

more pics...
IMG_0882.JPG
IMG_0882.JPG
IMG_0883.JPG
IMG_0883.JPG
IMG_0884.JPG
IMG_0884.JPG

Dillio187
# Posted: 8 Jun 2012 10:24

looking good. I like your use of the T111 for the lower walls, good idea.

cabingal3
# Posted: 18 Jun 2012 01:33

nice nice cabin.good job.

BRL
# Posted: 18 Jun 2012 08:06

Looking Good!

MJW
# Posted: 18 Jun 2012 09:42

This place looks awesome! Very good work!

kbvalley
# Posted: 26 Jun 2012 22:16

More progress in the kitchen...
IMG_0952.JPG
IMG_0952.JPG
IMG_0953.JPG
IMG_0953.JPG

jrbarnard
# Posted: 27 Jun 2012 06:38

Hey, what color is that paint on the outside? I was going to use a sort of "stain" color..but that red looks durable. Mind if I steal it for my Texas cabin?;) I promise folks won't mistake it for yours ;)

Very beautiful cabin, and everything else.

Russ

kbvalley
# Posted: 27 Jun 2012 06:54

Russ,

Its a Pittsburgh ultra exterior paint. The color is called "brick dust" code#33C-6. I put 2 thick coats on top of a primer base using a HVLP sprayer. I like the results. Used a satin to have the "stain" dulled effect.

Good luck.

jrbarnard
# Posted: 27 Jun 2012 09:16

Thank, bud. I am trying hard to find a way to make hardi-plank look nicer.. heh. I opted to use that for the longer lifespan vs cedar etc that would rot faster.. this should give it a better "look".

Very nice place you have there.

Russ

BigDuke6
# Posted: 4 Jan 2013 17:51

Great place! What did you do your lower walls with? I like it. Any more pics to share?

ShabinNo5
# Posted: 4 Jan 2013 20:17

Nice Cabin! Every few years I wander into the Atlanta area to visit family at Lake 15. Always enjoy driving the back roads looking for Elk.

Kbcabin
# Posted: 4 Jan 2013 20:21

I just used the extra 4x4 t-111 cut down to 38". Still have to paint it out in green, it's just pre primed now.

Kbcabin
# Posted: 4 Jan 2013 20:22

Camp 8 and camp 3 offer some good possibilities to see elk.

shooter mcgavin
# Posted: 5 Jan 2013 09:41 - Edited by: shooter mcgavin

Wow! 19 days of work only?

Does anyone know how to send private messages thru here?

Purplerules
# Posted: 6 Jan 2013 01:25

your cabin is lovely, what a great job you did. I see many years of enjoyment!

tcmatt
# Posted: 6 Jan 2013 10:03

kbvalley,
I'm up in northern MI, as well, and love the idea of visiting one another's cabins for ideas, etc. I'm on an island, so its a little harder to get to mine, but you're more than welcome to come visit. I just started a new thread last night called "12 x 16's --let's see 'em".
matt

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 12 Jan 2017 13:51 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Quoting: kbvalley
shot a nice 8 pt

KB, we would call that white tail a 3X3 here. Or a 3X3 plus eye guards. Its regional I guess how the points are counted. Will look good in that cabin. Your cabin is the same shape layout as mine but flipped. Nice work on that build. First class all the way for sure. Snuggled right into the weeds there too.

Laughlin
# Posted: 13 Feb 2019 18:03

I know this post is very old. But I hope your still on this site. You said you are restricted to 200sq ft same as I am. But your main area is 12x16 plus the bathroom which pushes you over the 200 then also the loft which I don’t know if they include or not.

kbvalley
# Posted: 13 Feb 2019 18:23

Shhhhh....they don’t include the loft. My newer cabin is 12x16 with bathroom included. See my other post. It’s an improved design.

Laughlin
# Posted: 13 Feb 2019 19:20

I was really hoping you found some kind of loophole for the 200 rule. I really like this cabin. Especially since you modified the way you did. My wife says have to have some kind of a covered porch and I agree. Our property is setup for hunting and recreational trail riding. So there will be mud lol. Did u go with 10ft walls as well. Do you have a set of plans you made?

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.