Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / New Member in progress with a 10x16 project
<< . 1 . 2 .
naturelover66
# Posted: 7 Apr 2011 20:11

The window is beautiful......... i love it.

Anonymous
# Posted: 2 Jun 2011 03:29

Which area is this in? I've been searching for land in the same price range within "weekend distance" of Vancouver and it's been feeling like an impossible task.

cabingal3
# Posted: 2 Jun 2011 06:42

what a precious cabin.good job.

nicalisa
# Posted: 13 Jun 2011 23:28

If you don't mind water access properties, check up the inlets on the sunshine coast. Raw land goes for about 70k these days. Otherwise, near 100 mile there are some lakes with little spots for about the same but may have a small cabin on them.

nicalisa
# Posted: 2 Aug 2011 21:05

This past weekend we had many adventures at our camp:) and I brought back lots of pics to share.

So we figured out that a pressed tin ceiling is not a great idea on a sloped roof without some major work to attach it. (we bought a few pieces to give er a try:) I still wanted the look so found some paper that gave it the same look in a fraction of the time. we used it on our old ugly fridge about 3 years ago and it stayed just fine, so we finished the ceiling (except for the light fixture:) I also painted under the loft so that the roofs would reflect lots of light.

half way through I had to take the kids down to the beach however as daddy was working on their vocab in not such a good way:) as I understand it, papering a roof is not too much fun:)
DSC04683.JPG
DSC04683.JPG
DSC04706.JPG
DSC04706.JPG

nicalisa
# Posted: 2 Aug 2011 21:07 - Edited by: nicalisa

we finally stained and moved the new table in the dining room. the benches double as wood storage for the woodstove.

In preparing for our trip I got artsy:) presto bedside table that also works for book storage...
DSC04691.JPG
DSC04691.JPG
DSC04687.JPG
DSC04687.JPG

nicalisa
# Posted: 2 Aug 2011 21:15

Onto the view.....um.....what view.....the brush had totally closed in our cabin to block the view of the water.

I was a woman on a mission on Saturday am. I got the bush trimmer attachment out and went through 2 tanks of gas. Then my hubby got the bush bug, and took over for me for 2 more tanks.

The result...view is back and burning of the brush will happen after the fire restrictions are over in the fall.
DSC04666.JPG
DSC04666.JPG
DSC04680.JPG
DSC04680.JPG
DSC04668.JPG
DSC04668.JPG

nicalisa
# Posted: 2 Aug 2011 21:18

so onto the toilet, if you remember, we had a multi purpose shower and potty room.....no longer!!! We now have a separate little room with a view!
DSC04710.JPG
DSC04710.JPG
DSC04711.JPG
DSC04711.JPG
through the window
through the window

nicalisa
# Posted: 2 Aug 2011 21:22

we finally have our water installed! we have a 3 stage filtration system taking the first pass free of most everything, and the second pass down to municipal approved drinking water (from the tall little tap) So much better a kitchen now:)
DSC04689.JPG
DSC04689.JPG
DSC04690.JPG
DSC04690.JPG

nicalisa
# Posted: 2 Aug 2011 21:25

lastly was the excavation....we came in to find the majority of the work done, and a great par 3 between the road and the cabin:)
DSC04674.JPG
DSC04674.JPG
DSC04676.JPG
DSC04676.JPG
DSC04671.JPG
DSC04671.JPG

nicalisa
# Posted: 2 Aug 2011 21:27 - Edited by: nicalisa

PS, the wood horizontal paneling didn`t get installed......but hey there is always next weekend!

naturelover66
# Posted: 2 Aug 2011 21:51

Such a beautiful place....... How tall are those trees anyway? They are simply majestic. Beautiful place....... beautiful cabin....... beautiful family !!! Nice nice job !!!!!

hattie
# Posted: 2 Aug 2011 22:51

nicalisa - WOW, you have done a lot of work on your place. I just LOVE those giant trees near your cabin! Your place looks so warm and inviting. Nice work on the bedside table! Keep the pictures coming!

nicalisa
# Posted: 3 Aug 2011 00:09 - Edited by: nicalisa

Quoting: naturelover66
...... How tall are those trees anyway? They are simply majestic.

between 180 ft for the little ones and 240 ft for the tall ones:) it is an old growth forest that has been standing since the last 1800s when the late burn went through. I couldn`t have them cut down as I feel such peace when I get there and look up at the trees and really feel that they contribute to the energy of the place and it is really good. I know that there will be a day when they have run their life cycle and have to go, but right now they are solid and healthy, so I want our guardians around us.

Anonymous
# Posted: 6 Aug 2011 19:11

Your small cabin is very nice. A word of warning aboust using old appliances. They are not CSA rated (not up to code) therefore if you have a homeowners policy it will be invalid.

nicalisa
# Posted: 16 May 2012 21:42 - Edited by: nicalisa

Updated Pictures

So when asked what I wanted for mothers day, I said a week at the camp to get some more work done! So we went out for 6 days. Over that 6 days we tiled the shower, kitchen backsplash, and woodstove area, created a handwashing outdoor sink, finished the plumbing, installed the hot shower, hung the pine panels on half of the interior, and most important, we hung the curtains I hand sewed from tea towels.

Sooooo close to done!
backsplash in kitchen
backsplash in kitchen
outdoor sink
outdoor sink
slate behind woodstove
slate behind woodstove
shower
shower

nicalisa
# Posted: 16 May 2012 21:52

more pics
paneling on the one wall done
paneling on the one wall done
side deck (new this year)
side deck (new this year)
1st of three gardens
1st of three gardens
boys and I at the beach
boys and I at the beach

hattie
# Posted: 17 May 2012 01:25

That's a LOT of work you got done. Your place is looking fabulous! Love the curtains!!!

trollbridge
# Posted: 17 May 2012 15:23

Cool ideas nicalisa!!! I love the creativity put into your place....and that backsplash....so cool AND you don't ever have to worry about some crazy breaking in while you're there and finding you unarmed-------------you have enough butcher knives to do away with them!!!!!!! You must do lots of serious cooking while there!!!!!! Love your outdoor shower too and what a great idea to have a hand washing station outside!

I may need to steal your kitchen tea towel curtain idea for our place...hope you don't mind!

nicalisa
# Posted: 17 May 2012 23:24

Thanks Hattie and Trollbridge...I have had a ball lately being able to do the creative work (which I love!) feel free to steal any and all ideas like the curtains as many of my ideas i have borrowed from others. The curtains are tea towels from JYSK. 4 towels for 2.99, so after the thread and the notions, it was about 3 dollars for a single and 4 dollars for a double window for the curtains and valances. I bought a 10 dollar small sewing machine on CraigsList, and have been sewing all of our linens for the cabin and for home. I do all of the tile work while my hubby and angel does the heavy lifting. The boys helped me put in the garden....have only been home for 2 nights and are going again tomorrow.

On the butcher knives, I LOVE to cook, and am the chef for the whole mountain of folks that happen to be in. I plan the meals at home for about 10 people (*coupon like a demon to afford all of the supplies) and right after I start cooking the neighbors start to drift in.....I think we have only had one meal that did not have at least 5 other folks join in. We started making, bagging and boxing our own wine to keep costs down too...so all knives are used lots...and if anyone breaks in.....they might wind up in the soup!
new and improved bedroom area
new and improved bedroom area
after the 3 gardens were in
after the 3 gardens were in
hammock city
hammock city
new and improved potty...with decor:)
new and improved potty...with decor:)

ErinsMom
# Posted: 19 May 2012 07:47

I love your wall hanging quilt. It adds a lot of color.

oldbuddy
# Posted: 19 May 2012 10:01

nicalisa
I really enjoyed going through your story. I have never seen your thread before...I guess you were a few pages back due to your last entry being in August of 2011. Anyway...I can appreciate all your hard work since we had to haul everything up a very steep hill which had to be made by a bulldozer b efore we could even think about beginning. Even now, some people that have come up to our Hawks Nest Cabin can't believe how steep the grades are. Our thread is " 12X16 on a hilltop in Ohio." My son (Old Buddy) and I (Old Old Buddy) have done 95% of the work ourselves with friends and family lending assistance for the other 5%. It's is truly the most worthwhile project I have ever done...especially with a 7 year old granddaughter, two grandsons (5 & 2) and another baby on the way. It's a hunting /family/kids cabin.

You write a wonderful, whitty story. Keep them coming. I really enjoyed reading about your adventures. Your place looks so "homey" inside. We still have to complete the interior but today we're heading up to the cabin to try and finish a roof for the deck! Talk to you later.

Old Old Buddy

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 10 Oct 2012 10:19 - Edited by: CabinBuilder

Next chapter is here >>>.

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.