Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / My Build in Northern California
sambelletto
# Posted: 24 Aug 2020 16:38

Hi everyone, just joined the forum to share my small cabin build. I am very fortunate to have 10 acres in the Bay Area in Marin County. Decided to build a cabin overlooking my small pond as a weekend (or more) place to stay. I've always camped on the land prior but think I can get my wife and kids to want to spend more time out there with the cabin.

I am trying to build as much as possible with salvaged materials and have done pretty well so far. With no real freezes and a mild climate, the build has been pretty straightforward. Here are some pictures of the progress so far. Love to hear feedback.

sambelletto
# Posted: 24 Aug 2020 16:48

Here are a few pictures
Lumber collection - everyone laughed at me
Lumber collection - everyone laughed at me
foundation
foundation
Pleasant framing day
Pleasant framing day
first time standing on the loft
first time standing on the loft

sambelletto
# Posted: 24 Aug 2020 16:50

a few more pictures
family is on board with my passion project
family is on board with my passion project
IMG_0896.JPG
IMG_0896.JPG
rafters up
rafters up
starting to really take shape
starting to really take shape

lburners
# Posted: 24 Aug 2020 21:10

What size 12x16? How high from front to back 12ft to 8ft? working on something similar trying to get an idea of how it will look.

sambelletto
# Posted: 24 Aug 2020 23:32

Hi, yes it is 12x16. The back wall is 8 feet and the front is 14. I chose that so that I could put the loft at 8 feet and have enough room up there to at least stand up straight at the front wall (I'm only about 5'8" - in the morning). Turns out that since I think I will leave the rafters open, I'll get that additional 5.5inches which is nice. I put the 4 foot back wall on the loft to put in a little headroom for stairs. I chose stairs instead of a ladder because I will be putting a toilet in under the stairs.

KelVarnsen
# Posted: 25 Aug 2020 08:36

Looks like a great spot. I really like the looks of the design from what I can see in the initial pictures.

sambelletto
# Posted: 25 Aug 2020 15:32

Thanks KelVarnsen, I've never built anything like this. It's incredible to see my napkin drawings come to life.

lburners
# Posted: 25 Aug 2020 20:19

Thanks for the reply on sizing. Making me feel better about a 12' front wall. It looks good.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.