Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Useful Links and Resources / Wildfire Resources
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
upndown
# Posted: 23 Aug 2015 10:45

I agree bldginsp, the last known fire in our area was some 40 years ago. I'd say before most if any of those structures were built. A lot of fuel accumulates in that time. Some of the cabins had little to no vegetation. According to a couple neighbors who were on the front line said, the magnitude of this freight train was incredible. One said he literally watched it consume structures and spit out the ashes in what seemed like minutes. He said he was amazed anything was left standineg.

As far as my cabin goes, had it not been for favorable circumstances..a sudden wind change, who knows what that outcome would have been. I'm not in a heavily wooded area and most of my neighbors are aware of what needs to be done. One thing we are all well aware of..we dodged a huge bullet.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 24 Aug 2015 00:26 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

OK, looks like my area made NWCN, local community keeping fire from crossing the road. They have their own pumper truck, all locals were working the fire line. It mentioned a fire crew had shown up and was on the scene. A crew from Eastern Oregon. So I am hopeful they will have a handle on it along with my local neighbors, god bless them all for their hard work.

Current map shows the fire about 1000 feet north, but winds are now out of the south. The map is a generalization, so its not dead on. But I am nervous again. Please keep those prayers coming. And toss in a request for some rain too.

Keep in mind, the red doesn't mean its definitely burning now, but it also means areas burned.

Thanks everyone for your support too.
current_firemap.png
current_firemap.png

MtnDon
# Posted: 24 Aug 2015 00:46

That is scary close!

MtnDon
# Posted: 24 Aug 2015 10:26

Smoke (and fire) maps from NOAA. They also have kml files for Google Earth

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 25 Aug 2015 08:54

No updates, all cell service is destroyed by fires. There is fire crews with equipment to protect structures, a hot shot fire team and a bunch of locals all working together to preserve the area. The fire map hasnt changed, I suspect it hasnt been updated. I think my cabin is still OK from latest info I did get. I am headed back up Friday, going to see if I can get Thursday off and head out sooner.

Keep prayers coming. Appreciate all your guys support too.

PS, rain is coming for the weekend, good news.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 25 Aug 2015 20:54

Grabbed 3 recruits, maybe more will show (good friends). We are headed up to do more clearing around my cabin (latest info, all was fine yesterday and the worst was over) but to be certain, my boss gave me the rest of the week off, loaded up my trailer with basics for clearing work, fire fighting tools, chain saw, shovels, axes, pick axes and my neighbor is hauling his trailer and we are headed over tomorrow AM to work my area then work side by side with the volunteers and the hot shot team. There is engines and tankers showing up now. Lots of good equipment making it way up there. I will be offline for a few days, will five reports when I return and I should be able to snap some pictures too.

upndown
# Posted: 25 Aug 2015 21:30

Good luck Toyota! Lots of hard work ahead of you. Be prepared, it ain't pretty!

Gary O
# Posted: 25 Aug 2015 21:49

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
Grabbed 3 recruits, maybe more will show (good friends). We are headed up to do more clearing around my cabin

Good luck, pard

May it rain on that parade

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 25 Aug 2015 23:02 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Gary, 100% chance of rain Sat, but with lightening. Should be fine as long as its with loads of rain. Also, 20% Sun and 10% each day till past Thursday. So the fires should really settle down in Eastern Washington.

Okanogan Complex or BUST!

cabingal3
# Posted: 25 Aug 2015 23:06

praying toyota_mdt_tech for your place to be alright.
we are getting predicted rains too.
hope they come.
i am sure sick of smelling smoke.
last nite i awoke to smoke smell and just almost puked.
i dont care if i ever sit by another campfire for a long long time.
thats how sick i am of smelling smoke.
i got a wash cloth and wettened it and put it on my mouth and nose to block out the smell.
headaches and sinus issues too.both of us.hope wildfire season ends soon for all.
this is our first wildfire season and its been interesting for sure.
praying for all to be safe.

hattie
# Posted: 26 Aug 2015 23:25

Good luck toyota_mdt_tech. Lots of people here are praying for you.

We're getting smoke up here in British Columbia, Canada from the fires south of the border. We had one fire about 2 miles from us but luckily it rained really hard and put most of it out. The next day helicopters flew in and put out the rest.

I sure hope the weather changes and everyone gets the rain they need (us included). I've never seen it so dry.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 27 Aug 2015 01:41 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Just got back, been up since 1AM, just pulled into driveway, ITS 10:30, going 21 hours straight.

I was in "hell on earth", smoke was so thick, and for hundreds of miles in any direction. Visibility was probably 1000 feet at the cabin, it was thick white smoke, unique smell, not like campfire. Different. Other strange observance, deathly quiet, It was always quiet, but I think the smoke absorbed noise too. No signs of any life, no birds. All that we saw was in life was angry yellow jackets and very aggressive flies. They were everywhere, as if you just stepped into a nest. The way in my cabin was down 1/2 mile off country road, then left turn 1/4 mile. Fire is approaching from each corner. I have no idea where the fire is, no one could see far enough. But you knew its coming. By biggest fear was being trapped, my exit blocked by fire. Ash was falling as it was. It was like there was a monster out there, its coming for me, chewing its way through the forest, but you just didnt know when.

Burnt landscape all the way up, the fire stopped, went around my area. Figured, its all wrapped up. Nope, Northstar fire headed north and merging with mine that went south. So now the pocket I am in that was missed, it will come back up around the consume it. Embers have been causing small spot fires too.

Good news is massive rain is supposed to be here by Sat, this could almost slow these down to where they can get a handle on it. Also, my late twin brothers ashes are on my place and I told him to watch over the place. And last, I have lots of gravel around the cabin, last Tuesday, I cleared all brush, low tree branches, the area was free of anything flammable, like trying to get burnable stuff for your fire pit when you go into a state park campground, the forest floor is picked clean of everything (we have all run into this). This is how it looked. Well, today, I cut probably 50 trees, opens up an area no less than 40-50 feet and 30 is the recommended amount. No fuel near the cabin, so the flames will be short lived there.

My adrenaline was so high, I was a mad man on my Stihl 026, I found myself actually getting careless. I knew time was limited, wanted to spend as little time there as possible, but wanted to preserve my cabin too.

Nothing more I can do now, I will go to bed, sleep in tomorrow, clean out truck (smoke smell will be there for a while I'm sure, truck had new truck smell still, no more) and then wash anything that was with me, it smells like that eeerie smoke smell. I like the smell of campfires, houses burning have a unique smell, this smell is even different. Its an ugly smell too.

Keep the prayers coming. It in gods hands now.

upndown
# Posted: 27 Aug 2015 02:01

Good to hear you made it thru safely! You've done what you can, prayers have been sent. But fingers are still crossed for you. I guess I can understand that Mother Nature has to groom herself periodically, but like I said it sure ain't pretty.

bldginsp
# Posted: 27 Aug 2015 08:39

thanks for the update. Been wondering. hang in there

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 27 Aug 2015 10:53 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

The cabins survival rate greatly increased from yesterdays work. I slept OK last night, but for only 2 hour blocks. Woke up. My chest was so sore. I think the heavy breathing from me going like a mad man with pure adrenaline taxed my upper body. It felts like a dozen times, I was just shy of passing out (I ha ve a cold and coughing already, didnt help). I was shaking the entire time and could hardly even write. I am washing clothes right now, I cant stand that smell, its unique to any smell I know. I wont ever forget it.

Was there last week on a routine family vacation of camping like we alwasy do in August. It was so beautiful and pretty and then to see it in such an ugly state just one week later. Cabin had falling ash on the porch.

I am 95% certain the fire with chew through the area, I'm also 75% certain my cabin will survive after what I did yesterday, countermeasures I put in place when building it (full footing/stemwall) metal roof, area surrounded by no vegetation and all gravel floor around it and sprinkle casoron granules in all areas where gravel is to keep vegetation from coming back.

I just added a much larger buffer in the surrounding trees.

I stopped in at the grange hall down the road, power is out everywhere. They have a massive diesel generator running the entire place, the amount of food/donations was remarkable. I have never seen so much food in my life. Hundreds of nice blow up mattresses and blankets for anyone wanting to take a break/nap etc. They had an armed patrolled keeping looters at bay. Its hard to imagine this, but there was some scum lurking around, sheriff was called in and they were patrolling heavily.

I seen cars coming out with trailers filled with appliances. I feel bad for those who live there. I have a place to go home, my area was smoke free. Those people dont have a home and are trapped in that miserable dense smoke.

All communications are out. Cell towers inop. When they saw me pull in with my truck and ham call on my plate and a gaggle of antennas on my truck, they wanted me to teach them to run a radio (they had one, no one was licensed). I gave them all the info they needed regarding a repeater and wish I could of stayed longer to help them out with passing emergency traffic.

I have enough gear, food and equipment for 4 days, but ended up after done, heading all the way back home.

Its a waiting game now.

I appreciate all your support and prayers too. I might pull this off yet. If not, I have come to term with myself that I may no longer have my life long dream of a little cabin in the woods on my own property. Even if it survives, it will be a bit ugly for a few years. If the cabin is lost. I dont know if I will do it again. I would stil like to live there, but its going to be a cement home. Or in time, may just sell the lots. I know it will take all the wind out of my sails. But I will wait a few years before making any decisions. I might have a second wind. I have all the fancy tools to bang one out in short order. (shell) but be a long time before it gets to its current state.

Here is a link to the firemap. It uses a satellite and looks for thermal activity. Because no way can any aircraft see through that ugly thick smoke.

http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=48.455961,-119.599571&z=9&t=m,MODIS_from _ESRI,Fire_perimeter&q=http://www.propertylinemaps.com/p/public_land_map/USA/USA_wild land_fire_3.txt

I also had to good pals volunteer to go, spent loads of they own money on fuel, food, hauled a large trailer, quads etc.

You really find out who your true friends are when your cabin is about to burn. And both of these guys are retires, 64, and 65 years old.

bldginsp
# Posted: 27 Aug 2015 13:15

The adventure of a lifetime- either the success of a lifetime or disaster of a lifetime. Hang in there

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 28 Aug 2015 01:01 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

OK, fire is 2 miles south, wireless internet just showed up. I got a report about 20 dynamite blast just went off about 1 hour ago south of my place (several miles) where the fire is advancing slowly. I suspect this is the Hot Shot team. They are trying to preserve all the homes. We are a small pocket and most of it so far has been preserved. They have a dozer clearing a line and probably using dynamite to blow out flames? Not sure. But I am thankful they are there. Its late at night, they are out in the front lines, miserable, sweating, dark and in there working like dogs for me. (god bless those guys) I hope they can hold it back. If they do, I might pull this off. We have rain for Sat there. And after that system, another even bigger one Right behind it. That should allow them to start wrapping these things up.

The next 48 hours are going to be real critical for me.

Gary O
# Posted: 28 Aug 2015 04:06

Dang, man.

Please keep us posted.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 28 Aug 2015 18:22 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

This is where its at as of earlier today. I suspect the ordeal for me will be over by tomorrow. Wether I have a cabin or not, time will tell. My odds went way up after my trip. The local hot shot team and fire pumper trucks are trying to save structures. Mine is defend-able and they have cut the lock and opened the gate. Hopefully, they will try to preserve it if my efforts dont work. The red is burnt area. Everything north, east and west is out. That is the edge of the fire line. Its the south end that is burning north.
currentcabin.png
currentcabin.png

naturelover66
# Posted: 28 Aug 2015 20:53

I feel sick reading this... Please know i am thinking about all of you in the wildfire areas.... Toyota... Keep the faith.. And good luck.
Lisa

neb
# Posted: 28 Aug 2015 21:36

Haven't been on here for a while but I wish you the best.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 29 Aug 2015 03:10

Toyota, I've read this with a knot in my stomach and all best wishes and prayers coming your way! I can't imagine how you've been feeling and going through! Rain, rain, rain -- please, rain!

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 29 Aug 2015 18:26 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Little bit of good news. Fire (Tunk Block of Okanogan Complex) didnt move much north towards me, it did couple to the old burn area to the east. So it will stall out there. And protect us from the west moving Northstar fire.

Local told me they had a monsoon downpour of rain there today, lasted 10 minutes. Fire is about 1 mile south. Cooler temps, higher dew point. All good factors. Best news I had had in a while, other than the fact as of now, my cabin is fine and all 40 acres too. Keep those prayers coming. My neighbor seemed to think if it can hold back till Sunday, we should be closer to being out of the woods.

Rain in forecast for tonight and again tomorrow morning.
current1.png
current1.png

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 30 Aug 2015 04:35

toyota_mdt_tech
Very encouraging news! I've added my prayers and had my friends on it, too. Was hoping rain was coming and helping the situation. So glad your cabin and property are safe, and hope it remains that way!

bldginsp
# Posted: 30 Aug 2015 10:29

Let it Rain!

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 30 Aug 2015 11:48 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

More rain last night and even more rain today. Raining now as I type this. Much cooler temps and more rain on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday...

The fire is a smidge over a mile south of me, according to the fire map. its not moving. I suspect the teams are doing clean up, pushing fire breaks, checking hot spots etc.

I have been following a facebook page with members posting pictures, plus in contact directly with a local.

Things are looking like I may do OK here. But until those fires are out,. I am not discounting the threat still there.

I was deciding what I would do if it burnt down. I'm too close to retirement to start over ($$$ used to fluff retirement nest egg now) and would probably just of sold the 40 acres as is. If the land burnt, cabin survived, I'd make repairs to fence, gates etc. and hang in there.

I told the wife, I dont think I have it in my to start over. Realizing the massive cleanup even before I could get to square one, permit process (unless I cranked it up real fast and said it never burnt) and the hundreds of trips to town for materials, supply's, all those trips over 3 mt passes just to get to the cabin...

Wife and I planned on building retirement home there. I can tell you right now, it will be fire proof and a massive large cleared gravel buffer with zilch for vegetation. I was looking at those IPF's or poly forms for concrete walls.

Cement porch, gable vents will have spark resistors/baffle, all windows wil have a metal flange to roll off blowing embers, soffits all enclosed with hardi-soffit (look into that stuff, so cool) and hardi plank siding, hardie-trim for corners, fireproof caulking (pink stuff) hardi fascia, and triple pane windows. Also, there is a fire retardant coating you can put on other items. Also, found out pressure treated lumber/decking is fire resistant. I have than for my porch vs nice clear cedar. Glad I did it that route.

Anyway, for those living in wildfire country, I was told long ago, they promised the area would burn. Just didnt know when.

Wife's side of the family are all stone/brick masons. A cinder block shop/garage and detached too. I was thinking of being close and attached with a breezeway, no more. Everything I do will have wildfire in mind.

Thank you Julie for the prayers and also for the rest of you saying prayers.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 30 Aug 2015 12:42 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Update just today.

Status CURRENT FIRE SITUATION: Despite strong, gusty winds, fires in the Okanogan Complex remained within containment lines Saturday. An unusually strong front pushed southerly winds through the fire area. However, those winds were not quite as strong in some areas of the complex as had been expected. In addition, portions of the complex received measurable amounts of rain and cloud cover helped to moderate fire behavior. The red flag warning for high winds expired at 7 p.m. Meteorologists predict a chance of wetting rains on portions of the fire early Sunday morning. Cooler temperatures and higher humidity are also expected to aid the firefighting effort.

Fire Specific Data Stamp: This Info Updated 2015-08-30 08:53:25

I see containment jumped from 12% to 25% now. Plus the manpower on this has increased by 2 fold. I suspect as areas are contained and out, they are moving them around.

To give you an idea what I was facing, the teeny little dot in the middle fire was my place.
fire_total.png
fire_total.png

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 31 Aug 2015 23:27

Great news in the updates, Toyota!!!

Yeah, I've officially crossed the Eugene builder off my list, as much as I would have LOVED one of his hand-built wood cabins at a great price! I've got to go more commercial, with pre-fab, Hardiboard materials and such. I stumbled across a YouTube vid from several years ago called fire on Bly. Yikes.

Unless the weather patterns shift and the droughts ease, the fire threats aren't going to subside. I'd read all sorts of things about prevention, preparedness, and having a clear buffer zone around the cabin, but I've got to do a lot more than that and I have the chance now since I haven't yet built.

I hope the fire goes out and you can rest easy that the cabin is safe for a long time!

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 1 Sep 2015 09:04

Try IPF or insulated poly forms or something like that (google it) where you have a cement house. Fireproof for 4 hours.

Otherwise, make sure you just have a good buffer, 50-60 feet minimum, graveled and you will be good to go.

Still a small fire burning and my area is still under level 3 evac, not sure why, maybe when that small smoldering spot is out.

But it look like the ordeal is over, I survived it. Total damages, $13.99 cents to replace lock cut by USFS to protect my cabin (access past gate)

bldginsp
# Posted: 1 Sep 2015 10:12

Congrats

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.