Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Useful Links and Resources / Fuel Stablizers
<< . 1 . 2 .
paulz
# Posted: 6 Apr 2017 18:57

Thanks guys. TMT, as I mentioned in my post it runs off the same gas tank (40 gallons) as the fire truck, and that tank gets topped up constantly by whoever uses the it so it's full if needed on a fire call so trying to run an additive is going to be difficult, though not impossible. There is no shutoff valve but the tank is lower than the engine, there is some kind of Briggs pump mounted by one head, vacuum operated or something. But when it's off, if the bowl were drained I think it would stay that way.

I agree with you, the float bowls are drying out and leaving that gum in the jets. There is a drain screw on the float bowl, it's buried in there but it would be possible to replace it with a barb and run a piece of tubing to a drain valve. That's an idea. But it has to be ready to go at moments notice and start reliably. It'd be better if there were fuel in the bowl but with the choke on I suppose it will fill up quickly enough and fire up. It did when I got it back together yesterday.

I've heard good things about the Seafoam as well.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 6 Apr 2017 22:20

Paulz, they usually will have a pulse type electric pump. If the bowl was drained, once someone cranks it (I assume its electric start) the pulse pump starts and doesnt take but a few seconds to fill that carb. You could even try to test it, ie a dry run by draining the carb, then next day, try a cold start from empty.

NorthRick
# Posted: 7 Apr 2017 14:39

I wonder if you have a bad fuel line from the tank? You would think that what was supplied would be compatible with gasoline but I've had that not be the case. The hose was being slowly degraded by the gas and gumming up the carb. I replaced the line with a different one and problem solved.

NorthRick
# Posted: 7 Apr 2017 14:41

Quoting: 1tentman
I have had real good luck with a product called Sea Foam, has anybody else used this, whats your opinion of it.

That's my go to product whenever any engine starts to run rough. It's doesn't resolve the problem every time, but often enough to make it worth the $10 to give it a try before taking things apart.

paulz
# Posted: 7 Apr 2017 19:31

Quoting: NorthRick
I wonder if you have a bad fuel line from the tank?

Yes I've thought about that too. In fact I went and bought some new line made by Gates, at O'Reilly Auto Parts, got home and looked it up, not ethanol compliant. They do make it, I guess they were just selling out their old stock. So there's a fair chance even though it's a new truck they used non-compliant hose. In any case, the line runs down into the bowls of the fire truck bed, which is so crammed full of stuff I can't see where it goes.

We have agreed to run the pump at least twice a month for now and see how it goes.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 7 Apr 2017 21:04

Quoting: paulz
We have agreed to run the pump at least twice a month for now and see how it goes.

Paulz, I had a fuekl line degrading and leaving small black specs in the bowl of the carb on my utility quad. I did install new line and added an inline fuel filter, it was a clear see through type.
Here is an example of one thta may w ork for you:
https://www.amazon.com/WIX-Filters-Complete-Line-Filter/dp/B000C9WJ8K

Also, maybe a water proof momentary push button to run the fuel pump. I know it comes on when you run the engine, but be nice to have another power source always running through the momentary switch so all a guy would need to do it just hit the button to run the fuel pump. Label the button as a "prime" and just walk by, hold the button in for a maybe 5 seconds, DONE!

Switch: https://www.amazon.com/Fastronix-Button-Momentary-Switch-Neoprene/dp/B019BH6O0M/ref=s r_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1491613438&sr=8-11&keywords=waterproof+momentary+switch

KinAlberta
# Posted: 22 Jun 2020 00:14

Good articles (the 2nd link is very informative):

The Key To Long-Term Diesel And Gas Storage - Off The Grid News

https://www.offthegridnews.com/how-to-2/the-key-to-long-term-diesel-and-gas-storage/

Real Story of Bad Diesel Fuel - Diesel Fuels

https://diesel-fuels.com/real-story-of-bad-diesel-fuel/

Bolding mine

Brettny
# Posted: 22 Jun 2020 16:50

Water and condensation in tanks can happen very easily from wide temp swings. My primary diesel storage is in the shade in a shed. Its a 55gal drum so only about a years worth of fuel.

Now since fuel is so cheap I have my secondary tank full. A 275gal tank sitting in the sun. I did treat it the day it was filled and have a drain off the lower side. I guess we will see.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 30 Dec 2023 11:25 - Edited by: KinAlberta

Pretty good article:

Gasoline Has A Shelf Life, And It's Shorter Than You Think

https://www.iflscience.com/gasoline-has-a-shelf-life-and-its-shorter-than-you-think-7 2196

gcrank1
# Posted: 30 Dec 2023 12:09

My take-away from those articles is 'use it or lose it'....
I note CAT specs 4 micron fuel filters. Iirc my JD inline right off the tank outlet is 12micron, and that is what Ive replaced the larger mesh filters with on my other gasoline engines. Btw, those filters are not terribly expensive at JD.
The large main canister fuel filter at the engine is a clear housing with a max debris level indicator near the bottom. I havent checked the micron mesh size on that that one, guess I should.
Just shopping online for inline filters I found it not easy to even find the micron rating, the most important part! As I recall many were 20+ when I could find it.

Tim_Ohio
# Posted: 2 Jan 2024 09:11

A YouTube mechanic obtained a number of new small engines and tested for many of the options concerning fuel with or without ethanol and the use of stabilizers. His study lasted many months and displays him starting each engine once a month as the fuel type mixed or not mixed with stabilizer degraded. If you want real world information, this is about as good as it gets. The guy and his videos is, Taryl Fixes All.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 6 Jan 2024 13:21

Starting an engine once a month makes a huge difference. This means the carb bowls were always being filled with gas. Carb trouble comes from fuel shut off and bowls drying out and then oxidation and sludge forming.
2 ways to store a carb'd engine, completely dry or keeping carbs full. If you use ethanol fuel, starting it to move in fresh fuel works fine.

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.