Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / OT: Beer
. 1 . 2 . >>
smitty
# Posted: 9 Aug 2011 05:16

This is pretty off topic, but something I love..
BEER..

I have had beer from all over the world, and my favorite beer I have ever had in my life.. Is something I can not buy in Indiana..
yuengling..
The oldest beer in the USA.

There is something about it, that hits on everything I enjoy about beer, and I am very disappointed I can not buy it in Indiana. Just another reason to make the move to our land I suppose :D

Let's get this conversation started if you LOVE beer..
What is your favorite? What beers have you had while on vacation, or at your cabin that you can not gt in your home town?

I don;t know thought this would be a good off topic discussion.

bugs
# Posted: 9 Aug 2011 08:16

A subject worth discussing smitty!!!!!!

I am into an Old Speckled Hen (English Ale) and Old Engine Oil (porter) phase at the moment at the cabin. I like the former while at the barbecue and the latter over supper. I drink both as a true brit would.... warm by North American standards.

And, not to be too off topic, I like to finish off an evening with a measure of a good peaty single malt Irish/Scottish whiskey while listening to the evening sounds and watching the sun set over our pond with the lady wife.

sabiggs
# Posted: 9 Aug 2011 08:43

Another vote for Yuengling here. That beer finishes so easy.

Funny though, I live in Massachusetts and it's not sold here, so I have to go to NY to get it. I guess that inconsistency of having it makes it taste even better to me.

Other faves of mine:
Smuttynose IPA or Brown Dog Ale (NH)
Narraganset Ale (RI)

Great Topic

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 9 Aug 2011 11:07

after a hard days work at camp.............. a nice K E Y S T O N E ice cold is in order......:-)

or if it's cold weather......... a litlle nip of FIREBALL, by the campfire is nice.........

Montanan
# Posted: 9 Aug 2011 11:14

Fun topic! My favorites are local IPAs but my pick for a larger brewer is Deschutes Brewing, out of Bend, OR. All their beers are great- Inversion IPA, Mirror Pond Pale Ale, and especially the seasonal Twilight Summer Ale.

The husband recently discovered that we can buy Olympia at the store near our cabin- they don't sell it at all in the town where we live. He is thrilled!

As an aside, we are planning to do a bar top at the cabin that is inlaid with beer bottle caps and finished with clear resin. Husband has been collecting bottle caps for years and hopes he can do the whole thing without using the same cap twice.

dk1393
# Posted: 9 Aug 2011 14:13

I am not much for beer, I am a Rumaholic at heart, but this weekend I had some Strongbow dry cider beer. It was pretty tasty

smitty
# Posted: 9 Aug 2011 19:49

Never been a fan of IPA's, my brother loves them.
I like a lager, with flavor, but not too heavy.
I am a huge fan of the "green bottle" beers.
My theory is, if it comes in a green bottle I usually like it, and that has served me well, with the exception of rolling rock. Eeeew.. Creamed corn in a bottle..

There are so many to try, I noticed some from the Ithica brewery when I was at our property last time, and I didn't get to try it. I totally plan on it next trip.

johng
# Posted: 9 Aug 2011 21:14

I've grown pretty fond of the home brews, the only problem is that I don't have enough equipment (and bottles) to keep up with consumption. lol...

...so while my homeys are fermentin I keep budweiser in business.

Borrego
# Posted: 9 Aug 2011 22:08

Our property is in the desert just about 40 miles north of Mexico. It is warm and dry even in the winter. So after a hard days work/hiking/off-roading, there is nothing better than a Mexican brew. I don't like much about Mexico, but they do beer and food pretty well. I figure it's made for this kind of climate and my taste buds agree around 5pm! :-)
So my favorites:
Tecate (in the can)
Victoria
Modelo
Dos Equis Amber

For drinking at home in San Diego by the coast:
Newcastle
Bass
Stone Brewery Arrogant Bastard
Sierra Nevada

San Diego has become the 'beer capital of the world' over the past few years, due to the large number of micro-breweries so I am in 7th heaven....

So would it be hijacking the thread to go to single malts?
Glenmorangie
Lismore
Abelour

Hmmmmm..... I gotta go do some more research. I'll be back.
Later :-)

241comp
# Posted: 10 Aug 2011 12:06

I can't speak to beer, but I can definitely join the hijacking regarding single malts. Aberlour A'bunadh and Laphroaig 10y Cask Strength are two of my personal favorites.

Anonymous
# Posted: 10 Aug 2011 20:47

this has nothing to with cabin life, but in a local town with a VA hospital, there is a dive called "the cottage". This is a college town but the cottage is more a hangout for vets. There is beer by the bottle or tap but on Saturday, Sonny makes up bloody mary by the gallon (free to all). It is the best.

bobrok
# Posted: 10 Aug 2011 21:15

I am told of a bar near me, although I have never been there, that does not serve liquor but only beer, and they supposedly have 38 taps.

Maybe I will try it out one day.

Stay thirsty, my friends!

Borrego
# Posted: 10 Aug 2011 21:45

Quoting: 241comp
I can't speak to beer, but I can definitely join the hijacking regarding single malts. Aberlour A'bunadh and Laphroaig 10y Cask Strength are two of my personal favorites.

Yeah, i forgot Laphroaig. Yummmm!

smitty
# Posted: 14 Aug 2011 17:36

I know as much about liquor as I know about wine..
I've wanted to try some really good wine, and some aged liquor, just to say I've tried it. I always stand there looking at all the choices for awhile, and buying beer instead. Because I just have no idea what is good.

Borrego
# Posted: 14 Aug 2011 21:56

Has anyone ever tried really old (really expensive) wine? Is it really better? Some of the older scotches are really no better than a really good regular one...

dk1393
# Posted: 15 Aug 2011 07:17

I drink a lot of wine and don't find the expensive wine any better

PA_Bound
# Posted: 15 Aug 2011 11:27

One more vote for Yuengling here... at least when I'm shopping for an "off the shelf" brand (there are some micro's I like better, but due to expense/availability I can't always get them). I will also limit that statement to not include their "light" version. I actually prefer Miller Light over Yuengling's Light- but I prefer to avoid Lights all together.

As for wine, there are many I like and some I don't- and price seems to have nothing to do it. I guess i'm just "unrefined" (and proud of it).

dfosson
# Posted: 6 Nov 2011 20:17

Did I hear BEER? Relax, enjoy, your on cabin time!!
Dave's ManCamp happy hour
Dave's ManCamp happy hour

Montanan
# Posted: 7 Nov 2011 17:42

Great mugs!!

Drop tine
# Posted: 7 Nov 2011 19:53

Not even a single vote for Leinie's? Huh.

du6988
# Posted: 7 Nov 2011 22:46

It's just hard to beat an ice cold longneck BUD!!!

smitty
# Posted: 7 Nov 2011 23:22

Yeah it is.. Just about anything beats a Bud.. lol

dstraate
# Posted: 8 Nov 2011 11:53

I can vouch for Yuengling. I found it the only redeeming factor to living in Philly. I can also vouch for Leinies.

In Colorado, it's all about New Belgium Brewing. Fat Tire is their best seller, but they make an English Ale (1554) that's far and away my favorite. I'm sort of on a self imposed dry spell right now, but as soon as I lift that ban, it'll be 1554.

AYP1909
# Posted: 16 Nov 2011 16:18

How did I miss this thread?
Anyway, I am a big fan of Alaskan Amber and Fat Tire; the wife and I seem to lean toward the amber ales. Mirror Pond IPA is another good western brew. I have never even heard of Yuengling but I will check at a specialty retailer nearby. Thanks for the heads up.

Montanan
# Posted: 17 Nov 2011 11:36

Quoting: dstraate
In Colorado, it's all about New Belgium Brewing. Fat Tire is their best seller, but they make an English Ale (1554) that's far and away my favorite. I'm sort of on a self imposed dry spell right now, but as soon as I lift that ban, it'll be 1554.

I'm not a fan of ambers so I don't care for Fat Tire, but the 1554 is pretty good. But the BEST of New Belgium, in my opinion, is the Ranger IPA. Yum!

fred
# Posted: 17 Nov 2011 17:00

Yup, Ranger is pretty good. I've taken a liking to Sierra Nevada's Torpedo. Nice hoppy bitterness and a reasonable price too.

nicalisa
# Posted: 17 Nov 2011 23:41

Quoting: Borrego
Has anyone ever tried really old (really expensive) wine? Is it really better? Some of the older scotches are really no better than a really good regular one...

I have a theory on this, if you can find a really good tasting wine that is not expensive, you are way smarter than the person who spent fifty dollars on a bottle that is all about the name and not about the taste.

I tried an expensive champagne once.....someone spent (can you believe this) over 200 dollars on a bottle of Dom.....I tried it and it tasted like feet smells.....after a whole day working in the hospital in your leather shoes!

Try Gnarly Head Old Vin. About 10 dollars in the states (20 in Canada the land of the over taxed:) and it is a great rich red that tastes good!

Montanan
# Posted: 18 Nov 2011 19:13

Fred~ you can't go wrong with a double IPA! The more hops, the better! I do like the Torpedo. We have a local brewery here that makes a double IPA called "Trainwreck." At almost 9% alcohol, it is aptly named!

madmo
# Posted: 14 Dec 2011 23:31

Im from Michigan and was on a fly in Moose hunt a few years back. The guide for the hunt introduced me to Kokanee a pilsner beer from British Columbia.

dstraate
# Posted: 21 Dec 2011 11:53

Pausing to enjoy one of New Belgium's most recent offerings, aptly named "Snow Day" Here's hoping your hearts are warm and your beer is cold this Christmas.
DSC00307.JPG
DSC00307.JPG

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.