Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / OT: Beer
<< . 1 . 2 .
wakeslayer
# Posted: 3 Jan 2012 15:07

I have recently had my first Snow Day. Really good beer.

Others I am a big fan of.

Moose Drool - Big Sky MT
1554 - New Belgium CO
Howl Black Lager - Magic Hat VT (you have to try this one)

I do drink Mich Golden Light normally, but the above are my treats.

adakseabee
# Posted: 3 Jan 2012 17:10

When I was young and poor, Knickerbocker at a dollar a six-pack did the trick. Now that I am old and not quite so poor, I like cheap American beers, almost any will do, but Genesee is my favorite.

bobrok
# Posted: 3 Jan 2012 17:59

Quoting: adakseabee
Genesee is my favorite

Gad, I havent had a Genny in years! And I live near the brewery!
Remember this?
Remember this?

adakseabee
# Posted: 3 Jan 2012 20:06

You bet! Better get them while you can while the hemlocks are still around the lake. The hemlocks near my camp are dying of a disease. Such beautiful and useful trees. It's a damn shame.

simon
# Posted: 3 Jan 2012 20:40

I get Genssee for 14$ a case here.. Still have a cream ale in the fridge I might crack open now that you have me thinking about it :D Good beer for a good price. I like 12 horse the best..

bobrok
# Posted: 4 Jan 2012 19:12

some of you more mature new yorkers may also remember these guys?
Can you Remember?
Can you Remember?

Gary O
# Posted: 16 Jun 2015 00:21

something I writ awhile back...may have ardy posted this.
Hey, I'm old, I pee a lot. Forgive me;

BEER

With fruit

Up until a couple decades ago I never really cared what kinda beer.
Cold beer was....better.
But one time, while team driving with a happening dude, we stopped for the night.
Found a bar.
Shot the breeze about the usual; politics, sports, economics, sports, ingrown toenails, sports, carburation vs fuel injection, sports, and....beer.
He seemed to know his way around several types and flavors; pilsners, stouts, lagers, ales, porters and on and on.
My main selection was 'wet'.

I noticed he had a piece of fruit in his beer.

'Corona with lime, good beer.'

I try one.
Actually, it was rather refreshing.

But just that one time.

Dark beer

While golfing, my club wielding hippy buddy offered one of his porters.
Black Butte porter
Man, that was gooooood beer.
Was
For awhile it became my beer of choice.
Then, like an old girlfriend...a flame that went out as fast as it flared up, my taste for it just disappeared.

IPA

After months of just getting whatever was on sale, my lady and I dropped by the Edgefield poor farm, one of McMenamins beer gardens.
Cool place.
One of our sometimes favorite haunts.
A quaint place on the grounds is called the 'little red shed'.
Cozy
Stone fireplace
Bowls of peanuts, of which you were encouraged to toss the shells on the dirt floor.
Short bar, rather up close and personal.
I asked the barkeep what his favorite beer was.

'IPA'

'I Pee what?'

'India pale ale'

He then went on with the IPA story about the Brits needing beer in India.
He drew one for me.
Not a lager
Not a pilsner
Definitely not a dark beer
Not any ale I'd ever had.
It was very good.
Distinctly good.
It became the beginning of a fascinating quest for me to find the best one. The best of the best in my opinion.
Up until last night, I'd actually hoped I'd never find it....traveling around, tasting, sampling.

But,

the hunt is over.

This beer, this medium dark beer....not dark, not amber, but a rich bodied color of....maybe mahogany, was capped with a glorious head.
A head that was not scraped off, but about two inches higher than the brim.
A head of tight little bubbles, bubbles so small they didn't really look like bubbles at all, but more like combed fleece.
This beer, this beer looked the epitome of the word 'quench'.

I knew I'd found it.
I hoped I'd found it.
I hoped it tasted half as good as it looked.

It tasted....better.

There is none other for me.

I cannot go back.

I refuse to go forward.

Why would I?

I have arrived at my destination.

cheers

...and g'nite

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 16 Jun 2015 02:20

The NAME of it, GaryO!!! You've got to give us the NAME!!! Or does any IPA do?

(This is beer, not philosophy; the importance is not found in the quest. ;) )

I like many beers and dislike many beers, mostly the typical American brands. CANNOT TOLERATE Budweiser. Blech. LOL, had a friend in college named Bob Weiser. Seriously! He didn't like Budweiser, either, and didn't like being called Budweiser but we all did, anyway.

I love stouts such as Guinness and Murphy's; enjoy Shiner Bock and a variety of pale/blond ales; really, really enjoy micro-brewed Belgian wheats. It all depends on what I'm eating with the beer or simply in the mood to drink. I'm most likely to enjoy a stout on its own, without food.

Before I was diagnosed with Lupus and my health was really affected, I used to travel a lot and went to Europe frequently. In England, it was such a treat to sample the ales, bitters, stouts in each part of the country. I have friends who live there so it's an inexpensive vacation for me and the country I've visited the most often.

Soooo, my favorite has to come from Yorkshire, Worthington Cream Ale. Good God, is that stuff rich, smooth, flavorful, and utterly delicious! I had ordered just a half-pint initially to try it, and that was soon followed by a full pint, haha. It was so pathetic how I looked forward to my bar time in Yorkshire in-between activities so I could have a Worthington. But my time in Yorkshire was very limited and you couldn't find that ale in London, Oxford or very far out of Yorkshire!

Don_P
# Posted: 16 Jun 2015 07:56

I worked for a happy old miser years ago, millionaire, well if you're going to be a miser... I think they just call the rest of us poor. He would drop by the jobsite bearing the cheap beer of the day, Grain Belt, Leinies, I must have drunk a thousand Point Lights that summer trying to do my part for the president. Anyway, George's favorite saying as he opened and passed around "All beer is good, some is better"

Gary O
# Posted: 16 Jun 2015 08:17 - Edited by: Gary O

Quoting: Don_P
"All beer is good, some is better"

there are times of the day this heartily applies

like Houston, 4pm, after spending a summer day in the pipe yards, hot beer in the car, burping foam on the way to the bar...

Gary O
# Posted: 16 Jun 2015 09:03 - Edited by: Gary O

Quoting: Julie2Oregon
The NAME of it, GaryO!!! You've got to give us the NAME!!

Ach...the name of it...
They told me more than twice now
The eatery is Gustav's (Portland area)
It's from the waters of the McKenzie River (Eugene)
I-I-I-I-I CAN'T EVER REMEMBER THE FREAKING NAME!!!

Thus, we frequent Gustav's when it's my choice, or when I begin to look like this;

Sadly, Gustav's is 250 miles away now....

As far as traveling around, swilling beer, I don't, I really don't drink much beer.

But

When I do, well, it's IPA.

When in mainland China there was weird beer and San Miguel.
San Miguel was safer than the water.

pizzadude
# Posted: 16 Jun 2015 15:31

Fun thread! A lot of the beers listed above I've never heard of before/wanna try.
Like that "snow day" brew. Yum.

My choices are as follows:
1)Schmidt(of course)
2)my in-laws beer
3)Michelob amber bock
4)corona is delicious!
5)killians Irish red. Very refreshing after long sweaty, thirsty days.........

beachman
# Posted: 16 Jun 2015 16:55

In NB there is an awesome local brewery -The Pumphouse. It makes the best drafts I have tasted anywhere. Keith's has some good brews also. In the US, many good drafts just about everywhere.

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 16 Jun 2015 20:01

Il chime in from the Canadian side. There are a ton of craft breweries out there now that are serving up some delicious beers. In Ontario, the Liquor Store carries a number of these and I enjoy going there and grabbing a bunch of different ones each time. Some of my favourite are from the Muskoka Brewery. I do enjoy Creemore lager and Waterloo Dark. So many to choose from!

bobrok
# Posted: 16 Jun 2015 20:11

I'm really into ipa myself. And local breweries. And filling growlers for take home.
My s-i-l (he's the tech brain/welder) and his neighbor (he's the master brewer in training) build self propelled driveable brewing rigs for show and for brew fests in their area. They've thought about opening a craft brewery as well.

I've learned a little about craft beers just from hanging with them; have a lot more to learn/taste/enjoy as well.

But seeing them tooling around on the brewing rig is priceless!

Tarmetto
# Posted: 17 Jun 2015 18:33

I'm in Asheville, NC...quickly becoming the craft beer capitol of the southeast!
Hot weather...drink a dozen...Mich Ultra
Favorites....Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Sweetwater 420, anything from Sam Adams.
Local favorites.... Highlands Gaelic Ale and their St Terese's Pale Ale, Pisgah Brewing's Pale Ale, Ashevlille Brewing's Shiva IPA and their Rocket Girl.

Timber Tramp
# Posted: 12 Aug 2015 22:34

Cabin living is never complete unless you make your own wine or beer. Lol
Here's some fireweed wine that should be done soon.
Fireweed wine
Fireweed wine

Gary O
# Posted: 22 Sep 2015 02:23

Quoting: Julie2Oregon
The NAME of it, GaryO!!! You've got to give us the NAME!!! Or does any IPA do?

A rather incongruous name;
Hopasaurus Rex Imperial IPA

Great American Brew Fest Award – Gold (2001), Bronze (2002)
US Open Beer Championship – Silver (2012)

Brewed from the McKenzie river near Eugene Oregon.
(By The McKenzie Brewing Co.)

I didn't know about the awards when I fell in love with it.

Borrego
# Posted: 22 Sep 2015 10:28

Anyone had a central CA brew called 'Pliny the Elder'?

rky60
# Posted: 22 Sep 2015 20:20

Yuengling, aahh the good old days, drinkin' quarts at bush parties. Haven't had any in 25 years, I've lived within blocks of the plant in Pottsville my entire life until about 9 years ago. Now i'm a few miles away.

Not much of a beer drinker anymore, but when I do it's usually Corona Light or Miller Light. Think I need to be more adventurous...

pizzadude
# Posted: 22 Sep 2015 22:14

Quoting: rky60
but when I do

I thought for sure you were going to say... Dos equis

Gary O
# Posted: 22 Sep 2015 22:44

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.