Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Does any like to read books?
. 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
neb
# Posted: 26 Dec 2011 15:26 - Edited by: neb

I just finished a good book called "Empire of the Summer Moon" about Comanches life in the mid 1800's to 1900 it was a good book. Does any know of a good book about the Indain life in the Northern States of the US?

MtnDon
# Posted: 26 Dec 2011 15:28

I read a lot but have no recommendations on that subject.

adakseabee
# Posted: 26 Dec 2011 16:36

I grew up in NYS where I have my piece of heaven on earth so I am partial to James Fenimore Cooper's Leatherstocking Tales, five novels that depict frontier life of settlers and Indians in the NYS region of the country except for "The Prairie" that is centered on the American Midwest. The time period covered by the five novels is from the mid 1700s to very early 1800s. I'd start with "The Last of the Mohicans" followed by "The Deer Slayer". You may recall that "The Last of the Mohicans" was made into a pretty good movie in 1992 starring Daniel Day-Lewis.

TomChum
# Posted: 26 Dec 2011 17:40 - Edited by: TomChum

Quoting: neb
I just finished a good book called "Empire of the Summer Moon" about Comanches life in the mid 1800's

Hi neb, I got that same book for xmas, (yesterday) and couldn't put it down. I'm 1/3 thru it already. Indian life and western history is fascinating to me too. Fantastic book, I'm anxious to get back to it.

neb
# Posted: 26 Dec 2011 18:11

TomChum

I got mine on Christmas Eve and got it read. I love books like that. I like to read in the winter when it is bad outside. I hated to stay in today but the wind was nasty so finished the book. I would rather be in the hills and outside then reading. Let me know if you liked the book?

naturelover66
# Posted: 26 Dec 2011 18:48

Last year I read "Ten thousand White women".... A story about women settlers traded to Native Americans in the 1800s. Found it on amazon.... Its a pretty easy read. I am currently attempting to study/learn the chippawa/ottawa language. They were and are native to northern michigan. Very challenging......

trollbridge
# Posted: 26 Dec 2011 19:11

Mostly Humpty Dumpty, Go Dog Go, and Stop that Ball...my 21/2 year old granddaughters current favorites :)

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 26 Dec 2011 19:29

Rereading " Christy" by Catherine Marshall. It's a story of a 19 yo from a wealthy family who leaves home to teach school in the Smokies in 1912. This is my third reading and I find something new each time. There was a tv series based on the book a few years ago.

Borrego
# Posted: 26 Dec 2011 22:37

I like western books ( what a surprise, eh?) and have read all of Louis L'amour's, Zane Grey, Elmer Kelton's many times. Are there any new guys writing in that style? I also like action/military stuff. Any recommendations?

neb
# Posted: 26 Dec 2011 22:44

Louis L'amour's/Zane Grey

I think I read every book they have written also. I just gave all those paper backs away and I had a lot of them. I can't help you much on some good westerns and wish I knew of some good ones myself.

TomChum
# Posted: 26 Dec 2011 23:55 - Edited by: TomChum

Hi neb, I like history too. I can suggest the book that got me interested in pioneer/indian times and conflicts: "Tough Trip Through Paradise" by Andrew Garcia. (occurred ~1878 timeframe, in ID/MT/OR/WA)

Its an autobiography by a trapper who died in 1942. He had a Nez Perce wife (who was brutally murdered by Blackfeet Indians). Anyway it's an extremely engaging story about how life was back then, how tough people were, and had to be. Equally amazing is how it got written, and how it was published. This website tells about the book, you can get an idea if its what you're looking for: http://www.mtpioneer.com/March-cover-search.html

AYP1909
# Posted: 27 Dec 2011 13:23

Neb:
Try "The Fighting Cheyennes" by George Bird Grinnell or any non-fiction work by Mari Sandoz.

neb
# Posted: 27 Dec 2011 19:50

TomChum & AYP1909

I will try to find those books. My wife has this book group and they can find any book that has been written. Thnaks

neb
# Posted: 27 Dec 2011 19:57

Tomchum

The local library has the book I will get it tomorrow. Thanks

cabingal3
# Posted: 30 Dec 2011 00:59

when we go to our cabin.i have the whole set of laura ingalls books and i read them. they are so good.

trollbridge
# Posted: 30 Dec 2011 07:45

cabingal3,

You may enjoy reading a book called The Childrens Blizzard. The time period and location is similar.A sad but good book!

cabingal3
# Posted: 30 Dec 2011 08:29

Hi trollbridge.u know what?i have that book.how funny.never read it yet.got it for my kids.thanks and i will check it out.

trollbridge
# Posted: 30 Dec 2011 09:32

Oh cool, for sure read it before you pass it along! The author is David Laskin right?

davestreck
# Posted: 30 Dec 2011 17:26

"Lonesome Dove" by Larry McMurtry is my hands-down favorite western novel of all time. Unputdownable.

cabingal3
# Posted: 3 Jan 2012 16:41

Quoting: trollbridge
The author is David Laskin right?

it is.thanks!

TomChum
# Posted: 3 Jan 2012 17:11

Quoting: cabingal3
when we go to our cabin.i have the whole set of laura ingalls books and i read them. they are so good.

Same here. I read that entire stack to my girls when they were between 4 and 8 years old. I loved it so much I would do it again, and they would listen again too. Laura Ingalls was a master at describing a scene.

Added benefit for a father of girls is Laura Ingalls really loved her father and it shows in her story. So listen up dads of young girls - if you want to connect to your child there is not much better ways than the Laura Ingalls series! You can stop and make comments on what was happening. When caught up in a story your kids will be very receptive. A lot of simple life lessons can be taught.

I've read several "newer" authors to my girls, and always find myself skipping over lame sections where the kids are little smart-alecks, or adults too. Anyway, I really liked Laura Ingalls series. It's about 13 books!

trollbridge
# Posted: 3 Jan 2012 17:25

TomChum~

Caddie Woodlawn is another excellent book to read with children if you haven't already.

neb
# Posted: 3 Jan 2012 19:34

I'm reading "TOUGH TRIP THROUGH PARADISE" right now and is a great book.

Montanan
# Posted: 4 Jan 2012 01:19

The Children's Blizzard is a great read- real history! Good call, trollbridge!

For those that like Native American history and historical fiction, Fools Crow by James Welch is quite good. It's about the west (Dakota territory.)

perpetualsummer
# Posted: 21 Jan 2012 18:31

If you're partial to Native Plains historical novels I would recommend Ride the Wind by Lucia St. Clair Robson, it's about Cynthia Anne Parker (changed my life).
Another good read is Little Big Man, by Thomas Berger - they made it into a movie with Dustin Hoffman and Chief Dan George, and last but not least, Mountain Man by Vardis Fisher - eloquent. They made that into a movie too - Jeremiah Johnson with Robert Redford. I think the content of both books and movies were well researched.
I've tried on numerous occassions to read Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee, but it's impossible to read through tears.

neb
# Posted: 21 Jan 2012 19:52

perpetualsummer

Welcome to the site. Yes I like to read Native novels. I have not read "Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee" I will try to get that book.

Bevis
# Posted: 21 Jan 2012 21:29

Quoting: perpetualsummer
Jeremiah Johnson with Robert Redford

Just watched that last week.

se
# Posted: 22 Jan 2012 08:44

Kid's book: My Side of the Mountain. This kid takes the small cabin idea to the extreme, and lives in a hollow tree.

The Frontiersmen (Allen Eckert) Daniel Boone contemporary Simon Kenton bio, with sub bio's of Tecumseh and Blue Jacket, along with the history of the "old Northwest", namely Ky, Ohio and Indiana from pre-Revolutionary War to post-1812 War. Part of a series of books, this being the best in my opinion.

perpetualsummer
# Posted: 22 Jan 2012 13:27

Quoting: Bevis
Just watched that last week.

What did you think of the movie? The book is excellent, eloquently written about such a primitive existence, and a few tall tales.
When the world seems like too much to bare/bear? I watch Jeremiah Johnson, puts everything in perspective. Makes me want to be a mountain man, 'cept I'm a woman. Hmmm, maybe meet a mountain man more like it ;)

perpetualsummer
# Posted: 22 Jan 2012 13:48

Quoting: neb
Welcome to the site. Yes I like to read Native novels. I have not read "Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee" I will try to get that book.

Thanks for the welcome neb, love it here.
They made "Wounded Knee" into a movie as well, with Adam Beach.
Just curious, and not trying to be too personal, but would you mind saying why you like novels about Native Americans?
In my opinion the plains Natives lived the PERFECT life. Nomads. I think they invented the term "Leave No Trace." My first choice of lifestyle, with a little cabin in the woods as a home base of course.

. 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.