Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / What retirement?
. 1 . 2 . >>
OwenChristensen
# Posted: 31 Aug 2013 09:50 - Edited by: OwenChristensen

A few years ago, with back trouble, I thought I'd better retire. I sold my shed building bus. and applied for and got SS. disability. I thought between the two I could survive. Nope! So I got an inside job where I could sit down now and then. Read, low pay. Even though I don't have loans and those bills, all the other stuff still keeps me broke, so I build a few cabins. I still can't make enough for what I call a simple life. I'm working now more than I used to. It seems food, gas, insurance ''required by the government'' , and taxes, taxes, taxes are killing me. I'm sick and tired of it. I suppose I could run away to the cabin, but that would probably be worse. I can't figure out how to live anymore. Sorry for the rant.

Owen

Martian
# Posted: 31 Aug 2013 10:54

Simplify! Simplify! Simplify! Its the only way.

Every vehicle, every house, every toy you have is an expense. If you want to live comfortably, cheaply, and worry free, then get rid of stuff until your income and expenses are equal.

I've made a game of it for the last 30 years or so. Its led to a life of what I call "Simple Abundance!" I have everything I need, everything I really want, and pay practically NO taxes! The best tax advice I ever received was to quit making so much money, if I wanted to avoid taxes; so that's what I did!

I live quite comfortably on less than $20,000/year. Since I'm now receiving SS, I work only as much as I want and will still allow me to stay under my cap of about $14,000/year in taxable income. I have my vises, but they are manageable. I don't have health insurance, and I'm not going to bet against myself by getting it either! I don't drive a new car or own a new motorcycle, but I do have plenty of my most valuable asset...free time! Its that time for myself that I most value. The things that matter in my life, don't have a price tag attached.

You are the only one who can say what YOU need to be happy. If that is a bunch of toys and stuff, then admit it to yourself, and accept it about yourself! Then, you work as hard as you need to support them. When the effort becomes greater than the reward, you will get rid of them!

Most of all, remember that happiness is something found within. You will never be made happy by accumulating stuff!

Tom

MJW
# Posted: 31 Aug 2013 11:26

Quoting: Martian
You will never be made happy by accumulating stuff!

Amazing how many folks don't understand that one simple statement.

buckybuck
# Posted: 31 Aug 2013 12:15

One of the things I find most fascinating about this forum is it seems we're split about 50/50 Canada and U.S. members. I remember about a year ago there was a thread about what forum members use for protection while at your cabin, and it seemed like about most of us who identified ourselves as U.S. residents said we used some type of firearm, while most Canadians said they used DEET.

I kinda semi-retired a few months ago. I'm still adjusting to this phase of my life, and I still have concerns about a lot of things, including finances. Another thing I'm concerning about is health coverage. I live in the U.S., and yes, I have per-existing conditions. (Not that it's entirely relevant, but my previous employer decided it was paying to much for health care coverage and now terminates employees who smoke, and will not cover costs associated with injuries from such things as motorcycle accidents, so who knows if they would have covered injuries from a bear mauling).

I saw a parody the other day about what the plot-line of the series Breaking Bad would be if it were set in Canada rather than Arizona, based on the difference between the two country's health care systems. "You have cancer; we'll start treatment next week," was the script for the Canadian show, followed by the ending credits. Admittedly, there were a number of posts on that website from Canadians who said it would be more like five years before treatment would start, but I found the notion that there could be radically different expectations depending on what country you lived in fascinating.

I guess the operable term here is I've decided I'm going to have concerns—not worries or frets—about these sorts of things. After all, I still live better than 97 percent of the people on the planet, and definitely have more things than I need.

hattie
# Posted: 31 Aug 2013 12:55

When we moved to our cabin full time we got rid of most of our "stuff". I don't miss it. We kept the important things. We live a very simple life without extras.

We hardly ever eat out, don't go to movies or rent videos, I make most of our food from scratch, we grow a lot of what we eat and preserve it for the winter. We have found places to purchase fresh fruit that we can't grow here and we buy in bulk and preserve it. We buy as much food on sale as we can (but we are limited to one grocery store to shop from). I stock up on sale items and basically have my own grocery store of items right here in our cabin (now house). We only shop once a week. If I forget something, we do without it.

We don't buy many clothes or shoes. We wear what we have until they wear out. The kids tease us about that a lot. We run a small motel for income (and it is a very small income). We live in Canada, so don't have huge medical bills and insurance like in the US so that is a big help.

I guess the big difference is that rather than spending our days in the malls buying things we don't really need, we spend our days running our business, working in our gardens, preserving food and chatting with neighbours. I don't miss a thing from my other life in the big city. I hope I can stay right here, living this lifestyle until the day I die.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 31 Aug 2013 13:00

You guys are exactly right. I've sold everything extra and cut my expenses by three quarters. I actually lived off those sales for a few years. Now my Goldwings are gone by Chris-Craft is gone, two extra cars, trucks and ATV's are gone, I don't have much left and I don't owe much. I'm having a tougher time than then. Is it back to the rat race?

Tom , I too use the S.S. plus $14,000 guideline, that's not cutting it for me.

hattie
# Posted: 31 Aug 2013 13:13

OwenChristensen - I am sorry things aren't working out for you. I don't know if you live in a city or not, but we found country living is much less expensive than city living. One reason we only shop once a week is to save on gas money. We only have to fill up our car once a month on average because we drive so little. We couldn't afford to move back to a city now. In fact, this is probably the cheapest place we could ever find to live.

We don't have any debts and work very hard at our motel business. Some days I start working from 8 am and don't stop until midnight but other days I don't have any motel work at all to do so it averages out. It can be hard work some days, but I prefer to be my own boss and if things aren't getting done to my satisfaction, I only have myself to blame.

We worry about how we will make out when we are too old to run the motel. We have a backup plan of turning two of the rooms into one apartment that we can rent out or let someone live there in lieu of looking after our property. Could you rent out a room in your place for extra income?

Martian
# Posted: 31 Aug 2013 13:48 - Edited by: Martian

Quoting: OwenChristensen
Tom , I too use the S.S. plus $14,000 guideline, that's not cutting it for me

About the only things I spend money on are food (I do eat well!), smokes, other vices, and gas. Last YEAR, the propane bill was $50, and my electric is about $25/mo, except for a couple of Summer months when it runs around $70. I do like my A/C! It does cost about $50/mo for dog food, but they eat well, too. Here, we have a homestead exemption on a primary residence. If you make less than $35K, and are over 55, the State reimburses you for your property taxes! That's a sweet deal!

As a self-employed individual, I combine personal shopping with material or equipment runs, which is allowed. Living 30 miles from the nearest Walmart and lumber yard, every time I go to the store, its a $30 tax write off!

The bank account actually grows each month unless I go nuts and splurge! The best entertainment in the world, to me, is sitting on my porch, listening to some music, and being lifeguard for the bees who sometimes get themselves into the water of the bird bath!

I'll grant you, I am single. Thankfully, I have a great woman who loves me just the way I am! What more can I ask of life than to be loved, happy, and satisfied?

Tom

naturelover66
# Posted: 31 Aug 2013 14:26

Ive read that in Kansas the cost of living is very low.
Here in the burbs of Detroit my gas, water and electric cost over 500.00 a month ! I think it does depend on where you live, like Hattie says, its cheaper in the country.
Gas is 3.79 a gallon . Insurance for the car is very very expensive.
Food is going up every day.... to eat healthy that is.
Housing and taxes ?? Sky high.
Its a struggle to keep up, forget saving money.
I will never retire........ I just hope to be able to work enough to support myself.

Martian
# Posted: 31 Aug 2013 14:54

Quoting: naturelover66
Ive read that in Kansas the cost of living is very low.

It can be! The county in which I live is very reasonable! I used to think living on a boat was the cheapest way to live, but not any more! I now know this is!

I'm very blessed to have found this little piece of Heaven on Earth. I'm also blessed with good health. Every morning I wake up with a smile on my face, and that is worth more than all the money in the world!

Tom

neb
# Posted: 31 Aug 2013 15:46 - Edited by: neb

Man there is some great advise from your friends. You people have it figured out and know how and why you are surviving and my hats goes off to you.
To me being wealthy is having the time to do what you want in life everyday. Now that can take a lot of money or it can be a simple life and still have all what you need to live happily. I always say it is more about the journey then the destination.
Living in the US isn't as easy as Canada with insurance issues and that is out of control here and is a concern for me. I plan ended a job I'm at in about 4 to 5 years. A job I have had for 33 years so far. I have sat down and figured it out I will need 30,000 to keep what I have and that wll be living very modestly. I have way to many interests that cost me a lot of money and I won't give them up for anything. I will never retire fully and always will be doing some sort of work because I like work but won't be doing it everyday. You know when I think about it I really never have splurged on much in life to date. I bought land a few times and it was not a thing my wife wanted to do but akways went along with my dreams. I have always come out on top on land and sold some for 14 times more then what I had paid for it. Then my wife says that was a good thing we bought that land. LOL I have splurged just in the past few years on things I really didn't need but thought I should have them. I think the key is save early in life and live frugil and then when the times comes to do what you want everyday it makes it a lot easier. Good luck OC.

Martian
# Posted: 31 Aug 2013 16:57

Neb, the world needs people like you! I think its great that you have planned so well, and that things are working out for you.

My dad was like you. He had worked all his life for one company and did one hell of job providing for his wife and 7kids! But so many times I heard him talk about what he was going to do when he retired. We took him from the hospital to his retirement ceremony and back to the hospital where he died 2 months later. That's when I realized that there are no guarantees. If there is something one really wants to do, they darn well better do it!

Now, for my dad, providing for his family was what he really wanted to be doing. Those things he talked about doing weren't really important to him, I don't think, because he also always told me to follow my dreams, and not to worry about the future. Its really about what we choose to consider important, and that's a choice each individual has to make.

Each choice removes an option. As a 33 yo, I chose to leave the corporate world and become a sailor. I accepted that I'd never have a family, insurance, or any certainty of a comfortable future. But sailing, and the lifestyle that goes with it, held such appeal that I accepted the price. As of right now, it was the best thing I've ever done!

Tom

neb
# Posted: 31 Aug 2013 17:22 - Edited by: neb

Tom your posts on this topic have and should be an inspiration to all of us. I would say the journey was more important then the destination for you and I'm a believer in that way of thinking.

Like you said follow your dreams and live the life style you want to live. Trying to climb that Corportitive ladder is not the anwser for everyone and is a mentally draining journey. Yes hard work generally takes you to the highest degree but at the end is it really worth it? I'm at a point in my career I'm ready for less less stress and to get out of the fast world and just watch it go by. To many people just looking for the destination will miss life to is entirety. That is sad.

Very very well said Mr. Tom.

Martian
# Posted: 31 Aug 2013 18:14

Thanks, Neb. That's the nicest thing anyone's said to me all day, and I've been around a lot of nice people today.

Tom

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 31 Aug 2013 19:58

Well I did my part,. Now what. I raised four kids and they're well on their way. If I listen to them close, I hurt inside for their struggles. Lately they began to ask: Can't you go back to the old days when you had enough work for all of us? It's all getting to me and I'm thinking about it.
I think of a time I was paddling up a river. I wanted to take a break, but if I did, I had to work twice as hard just to get back to the same place. I think I better get back to paddling and don't stop 'til I drop.

Martian
# Posted: 31 Aug 2013 20:21 - Edited by: Martian

I'm sorry Owen, but I got to call you on this one!

Why do you owe them a living? Haven't you done your part and taught them the skills they need to succeed? I thought you had. So, why aren't they the ones providing you with that part time job, and building a business for their families? Each generation has to take over from the older one. Then, they have to take the jumpstart you've given them and run with it! You don't owe them a living, they owe you one! You've gotten them to this point, they need to start paddling!

I love ya, Man, but if they can't do it now, how will they survive when you die?

Tom

hattie
# Posted: 31 Aug 2013 21:03

My favourite expression: "There are two special gifts you can give your children. One is roots, the other is wings."

neb
# Posted: 31 Aug 2013 22:27

Quoting: hattie
"There are two special gifts you can give your children. One is roots, the other is wings."

So so true. The wings is the hard thing to let go of. But yes you teach them and then let them go. I still really struggle with that one with only one son I have to hold back on what I say. You need to let them live their life and make it on their own. My son has done very very well and I'm very proud what he has accomplished in his young life. Has done way better then I would have ever thought of doing when I was his age. And you know what I didn't help him one bit and he never asked for any either. I was very lucky.

naturelover66
# Posted: 31 Aug 2013 22:38

Owen, Hattie is right as far as the kids go. You raised them, provided for them, taught them........... you did your part.

hattie
# Posted: 31 Aug 2013 23:15

I think letting go is the hardest and most frightening part of parenting. It can also be the most rewarding - after.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 1 Sep 2013 04:16 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

Retirement is a relatively new concept. Before the SS act of 1935 people just worked until they dropped or they starved. They worked until they were so sick they didn't last long after their illness and died.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 1 Sep 2013 07:04 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

I retired 4 years ago at 48---It's hard to believe 4 years already .-)
..my buddies give me hell....about being retired and taking a nap in the afternoons from 2 to 4pm...lol....but it's what i want to do. I stay busy.....real busy...BUT it doing stuff i want to do...which makes a BIG difference.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 1 Sep 2013 08:08

If you are healthy I see no reason to retire young and start receiving SS especially if you will not receive a pension. If you are healthy at 62 you will have many years of life. You may live longer than you worked. I do not know how (unless you have a few million set aside) one can afford to be retired that long without a weekly paycheck.

I have been working for over thirty years and plan on working as long as I can up to age 70. I will continue to invest my money and use the medical benefits I have to keep myself healthy. In conclusion I will be able to enjoy a retirement free from financial worry.

Martian
# Posted: 1 Sep 2013 08:44 - Edited by: Martian

SWL, you might be right. I'm damned healthy, but so was my brother until diagnosed with pancreatic cancer 2 1/2 years ago at age 64 years and 11 months. He died about 4 months ago. So, although I am healthy today, the chances of my developing a life-taking condition over the next few years are pretty high if you believe the statistics. My father died from cancer , and my brother died from cancer. Its not certain that I WILL get cancer, but if I do, I damned well don't want to say, "Crap! I should have retired sooner!"

Besides, all you have to do is look around, and you will see people who thought they were secure in their finances only to have them disappear through no fault of their own. The only security we have comes from knowing we will be fine....even if we die!

Tom

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 1 Sep 2013 09:04

Every loved one that has died in my family has died from cancer. My Mom was the oldest one to die at age 73. Not one of my loved ones went for routine testing. Either because they could not afford to or they did not believe in modern medicine. My Mother died of a cancer with a 98% cure rate! She didn't trust doctors so she waited until it got so bad she had no choice but to get help.

I hope because I take very good care of myself and maintain my health that I have a very good chance of making it to a ripe old age. I enjoy working and maybe it is because I get to travel the USA and see a lot of beautiful sights and meet people from all walks of life. It really does not seem like work most of the time to me.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 1 Sep 2013 09:12

Stress..........That's the real problem. If I have less stress while working hard , then that's what I must do. It seems that anyone that I have known that died from cancer had stress. Probably brought on by a way of looking at life.
I talk about a little now, but It's because it see it coming. I want to get rid of it right away. Working is fine as long as it's easy on your mind.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 1 Sep 2013 09:15 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

Quoting: silverwaterlady
In conclusion I will be able to enjoy a retirement free from financial worry.

That's a GREAT statement....who knows if there will be any SSI when I put in for mine 10 years from now!!! I am not counting on it;-(

And that's what RETIREMENT it is all about....ENJOYING life and not having to worry about where the next dollar is coming from...doing things you always dreamed ~~~~but WORK got in the way~~

That's why I had EVERYTHING paid for BEFORE I retired.... it's all about MONEY MANAGEMENT~~~~ and make the right choices along the way~~~~

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 1 Sep 2013 09:28 - Edited by: OwenChristensen

turkeyhunter
Of course you're right, but what I'm complaining about is things you can't pay off, insurance, taxes, food, clothes, gas, heating fuel, power, hospital bills, car lic., boat lic. fishing lic. hunting lic., looking lic., breathing lic.. I think I'd rather be broke on my yacht than my lawn chair.

O

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 1 Sep 2013 09:45 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

very true OC!!!! ~~~ I bought a lifetime sportmans lic for my home state.....for $500 ~~I bought this 5 years ago/ Great deal it has almost paid for itself!!!!..
It does cost a lot to live !!!!

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 1 Sep 2013 09:52 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

Owen-You strike me as a man with a lot of interests/hobbies is there not some way for you to take your interests/hobbies and make money from them?

As an example:
I took my love of driving and road trips and put it into a trucking career. I've been very successful in this trade. The next big thing for me is to take my love for good food,wine and pastry and move to France for a few years and work at farms that produce cheese and wine in return for knowledge. Than going to Paris and learning the pastry. I will be returning to my roots in France. Before I do all this I must speak fluent French. I feel as if I am finally ready to crack the books.

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.