Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / What retirement?
<< . 1 . 2 .
Martian
# Posted: 1 Sep 2013 09:53

Since I semi-retired at 33, I've done my traveling and adventure seeking. I'm glad to be settled!

The most common comment I heard from sailors that had waited until they were "ready" for retirement was, "Retire while you're young! Having fun is hard work!" I did my retirement, first! No, I don't have a pile of money sitting in the bank, but then I don't know anybody that's any happier than I am, either. Now that I'm almost 63, I LIKE sitting on my porch and having friends drop in! I LIKE working when I want on the jobs I want to do! I LIKE having the option of taking some time off or going a trip if the urge strikes! And I LIKE sitting here thinking about all the fun I've had, the people I've met, and the challenges overcome to this point, but I really LIKE that I don't feel the need to constantly go and do because I had postponed living until I retired. There are very few things left on my bucket list! When I hear people talk about traveling, living different places, seeing new things, or sleeping with strange women, all I can think is BTDT! Now I can sit here, relax, and enjoy without thinking about what I may be missing because if I wanted to do it, its been done! Those few things that are still on the list, require me to die to fulfill. That's something I can't say I've BTDT, yet...Thank God!

Tom

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 1 Sep 2013 10:25

silverwaterlady
I used to fish Lake Superior to excess. I was good at it and won several derbies. I went to Lake Michigan and took second in the Door County Salmon contest. I watched several of my buddies start to charter their fishing boats. After a few years they hated fishing and their boats were junk. I strongly believe turning what you enjoy into work will ruin it for you. I build things and that what I should do.

Martian
I don't think your a example for me. I have a wife of 43 years, four grown kids, nine grandchildren. I live close to them all as well as other relatives. That's a blessing. I never moved away, I never worked long hours, I was home for diner with the family and we did things together on weekends. I've always had a cabin in the woods. I have found great pleasure in life and didn't wait until retirement to enjoy life. I'm going back to work and will bring work to all the family who wants to do it. I'll teach them to enjoy the ride. to work hard and play hard.

O

Martian
# Posted: 1 Sep 2013 10:49 - Edited by: Martian

Hell, Owen, I'm not an example to anybody...I just am. Each person decides what is best for them. I would never advise anyone to do what I've done! Hell, I barely lived thru it, myself; they may not have my abilities, or my luck!

If anybody takes anything away from my words, let it be that they make their decisions consciously, and that it does no good to stress over things that you can't change at this point.

I wish you the best, Owen, whatever that is. My story is simply my story. My choices shouldn't be used as a guide, unless you want a similar outcome. Your choices were your choices, and they have led to your outcome. There is no "perfect" life that we should ALL live; there is only OUR life to live in the way we choose. My hope for you is that you accept the choices you've made, and let go of the stress causing frustrations. The stress will kill you!

Tom

MJW
# Posted: 1 Sep 2013 10:56

SWL...take a look at Earworms Rapid French. They have several volumes.

My wife and I used it for a few months before we visited Paris.

It is VERY good.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 1 Sep 2013 10:59

TY MJW-I will do that!

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.