Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Redrawing the World's Climate Maps
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 .
toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 19 Oct 2021 20:33

Quoting: redneckpaul
I did my part and just bought a 2016 Dodge Ram 2500 gas guzzler

Paul, I bought a new RAM 2500 back in 2010, light oil guzzler (diesel) love it, tows my trailer over 3 mountain passes to my cabin 3 and 4 times per year. Does a great job.

I do also own a Hybrid 19 Hybrid RAV4 and also a 12 Prius V and a 16 Camry ULEV.

gcrank1
# Posted: 19 Oct 2021 21:27

During the 1st 'oil embargo' in the early 1970's I did my part by buying a 1959 Austin A35 sedan. It had a 940cc(?) inline 4 cyl and a carburetor with a throat about the size of my thumb; and got a reliable 50mpg!
I had the most fuel efficient car amongst my peers, far better than the typical VW bug of the day, all with 1959 technology.
My, havent we come a long way now.....

ICC
# Posted: 19 Oct 2021 21:39

My part is the '07 Dodge 3500 flatbed ranch truck with a Cummins. It is the workhorse it was designed to be. 288,000 miles. My only vehicle bought new and thus directly counting towards corporate profits.

The '99 Tacoma Xtracab still gets it's share of use. At 295,000 miles it still runs well and I see no reason to get rid of it although I have had some attractive cash offers. Bought used in '00.

I just came back from a trip that saw another 3,400 miles added to the '80 MCI bus/RV. Bought very used but repowered.

The '19 Tesla gets a lot of use and the best part is it runs off the solar home system. Bought lightly used after the previous owner went through a messy divorce. Only the lawyers came out on top though I did pay a fair price.

paulz
# Posted: 20 Oct 2021 07:55

3500 4x4 dually 8 liter V10 gas dump truck. Luckily the dump and gravel yard are only a mile away.

paulz
# Posted: 20 Oct 2021 20:16

Well the climate changed here last night! Drought stricken Pacific coast got a dumping of rain, and more on the way this week.

Ratatat tat on the cabin skylight all night long. Took a walk down to clear the creek, nice carpet of redwood duff on the ground. Feels good, fresh.
20211020_164537.jpg
20211020_164537.jpg

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 21 Oct 2021 08:30

Quoting: ICC
My part is the '07 Dodge 3500 flatbed ranch truck with a Cummins. It is the workhorse it was designed to be. 288,000 miles. My only vehicle bought new and thus directly counting towards corporate profits.

The '99 Tacoma Xtracab still gets it's share of use. At 295,000 miles it still runs well and I see no reason to get rid of it although I have had some attractive cash offers. Bought used in '00.

ICC, running those rigs for many miles is green IMHO.

ICC
# Posted: 21 Oct 2021 09:56 - Edited by: ICC

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
ICC, running those rigs for many miles is green IMHO.

That '07 Dodge replaced a '91 Cummins engined D300that had 330,000 miles on it. We wanted a bigger cab.

The '99 Taco replaced an '84 Toyota truck with the rare 2L diesel with untold miles as the odometer quit long before it was stolen. I might still have it if that had not happened. I think the odometer was one of the few things that broke on that truck. Dad drove into town and left the keys in it like we do on the ranch. I believe it ended up in Mexico later the same day.

They are ranch and construction work trucks. No need to trade for new when they just keep running if maintained. We have used nothing but Mobil 1 synthetics for over 45 years. I think that has helped.

Plus I always liked to take an old truck when going out to look at a potential new job. I thought the guys with the shiny paint and chrome-wheeled trucks made it look like they charged too much.

Our newest tractor is a 1985, bought used in '95. The road grader was army surplus bought in the 80's.

gcrank1
# Posted: 21 Oct 2021 10:13

That kinda goes to my post about the Austin A35. That was my first of many small, fuel efficient 4w vehicles ,along with my motorcycles that for a long time were what most of my miles were done on.
Been turning down our 'stat, not running the AC until really needed, etc too. All that saved me money and was 'green' before that was a popular term.....
Also been doing 'recycling' since before it was mandated, careful in water use, picking up trash and 'conscientiously living'. A lot of that likely came from growing up in a time and place that people still remembered the Great Depression and WWII shortages.
Guess what Im saying is that for about the last 1/2 century I have been reducing my 'carbon footprint' and such. The benefit has been only the self satisfaction and money saved (no official benefit or incentive from any entity).
So I get a little testy when some say or infer that 'Im the problem'.

ICC
# Posted: 21 Oct 2021 12:16

But you are not the average person from what I have seen over the decades of dealing with homeowners around here. I know I am not like the average person.

People who never seem to turn off a light and have power bills twice what it could be. People who pour water into lush lawns, in the desert.

People who always have a car new enough that the bak always owns their vehicle. When I was a kid people traded cars for newer for good reason. In many locations it was a race between the engine getting worn out and the body rusting. Nobody put over 100,000 miles on a car.

Many of the people I went to school with have 3000 sq ft homes and now that the kids have moved out there are only 2 people living in it. I have about 1000 sq ft of habitable space plus shop spaces. Some may think I have too much shop and garage space and they may be right but at least I turn the lights off in the shops.

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.