Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Valence LiBattery
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . 9 . >>
Steve_S
# Posted: 25 Oct 2019 11:30

Watching this thread closely as my curiosity is peaked. I've been looking into these Valence Batteries (not so easy to get in Canada sadly) and what it takes to integrate into a solar system. Good to follow this "learning experience" as I may be looking at replacing my 4 year old bank of Rolls Surette S-550's in the spring.

qbodsyt
# Posted: 25 Oct 2019 12:48

Quoting: Steve_S
Good to follow this "learning experience" as I may be looking at replacing my 4 year old bank of Rolls Surette S-550's in the spring.

Steve, your batteries are degrading? I know we're very pro lithium here and I understand why, but your build is so well thought out I expected your Rolls would last closer to 7 years based off of other setups I've read about using the S-550

Steve_S
# Posted: 25 Oct 2019 14:34

Well it's partly due to being my first bank and suffering a tad bit of abuse (deep discharges and some sulfation) but also a lack of workable capacity. I have 20 Kwh gross storage which translates to 10 kwh @ 50% dod. I'm using on average 4kwh per day and that may rise a bit. I could add a 3rd string (4x$400) but they would be downgraded to the level of existing FLA's, which is not economical / reasonable for a longer haul.

I'm looking for 12Kwh usable stored energy. As well, lithium will charge faster than FLA and my current system could handle that without upgrade at this time.

qbodsyt
# Posted: 25 Oct 2019 15:27

Thanks for the detailed (as always) explanation. Makes sense. I'd say your build is probably the embodiment of my sensibilities as far as how my build would go, I hope you'll continue to update your thread, especially with more pics!

To paulz, sorry for the threadjack, very interested in your work with this, been following the thread closely.

paulz
# Posted: 27 Oct 2019 07:49 - Edited by: paulz

No problem, glad some are finding my fumbling around useful. Again I'm surprised with the number of these batteries arriving on the used market there isn't more detailed use info floating around.

Did another 40 hours at the cabin, down to 13.1v again. This time it took 7 hours for the 20a charger to go green at 14.6v, I was counting the minutes due to a pending forced blackout in my area because of fire danger, I'm now back at the cabin, grid power is out everywhere for a couple days.

I'm normally not in a hurry to recharge. One guy online said 20a was a safe charging rate. I went through the Valence links again and don't see any spec, it does say 150a is the 'Max Cont. Current', whatever that means. I'm going to put an ammeter in line next time I charge, there isn't one on the charger. Still waiting on the low voltage cutoff dingus.

FishHog
# Posted: 27 Oct 2019 09:34

I believe the 150 would be the max you can draw from it. Not that you’re anywhere near that level. I’m surprised it doesn’t have a charging spec. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was up to 60 amps but without that spec I’d stick with a 30 amp max charger. If you’re not usually in a rush it won’t matter

Steve_S
# Posted: 27 Oct 2019 10:01

Paul, I been poking around looking for other info and came across this, which 'may' be helpful. FishHog is right, that is the max draw limit.

https://diytechandrepairs.nu/install-bms-on-a-valence-12v-lifepo4-battery/

Nobadays
# Posted: 27 Oct 2019 10:54

Paul... you might have seen this? https://lithiumwerks.com/valence-batteries/battery-management-systems/

JMV
# Posted: 28 Oct 2019 11:57

https://youtu.be/IM7TBUISDAk

paulz
# Posted: 29 Oct 2019 08:47 - Edited by: paulz

Thanks for the links and ifo guys. Well the Valence has been getting a workout, 60 hours powering the cabin. Grid power still out in the region. It's still at 13.0 volts, amazing compared to my old lead batteries. Looks like grid will be down at least another day, on the bright side I'm getting a lot done on my never ending carport project. I brought the Valence charger along, may run it with a genny if voltage starts dropping.
1026190838_HDR.jpg
1026190838_HDR.jpg

paulz
# Posted: 29 Oct 2019 14:58 - Edited by: paulz

Well they turned the power on temporarily in the ghetto so I rushed back to charge the Valence and check out the low voltage cutout that had arrived.

May have a problem..the cutout is basic, set low cutout voltage, set high voltage cutout. I had my wife watch the meter at the cabin while I ran the pump for 5 seconds, 11.7 volts. This with the battery showing 13 in normal state but having been powering the cabin for a few days. Assume this won't hurt it?

If I set this voltage cutout to 12-12-5 volts is it going to shut off power every time I run the pump?
ins.JPG
ins.JPG

FishHog
# Posted: 29 Oct 2019 15:09

Yes it will shutdown if you set it that high. I wouldn’t worry to much about a temporary drop under a load as long as it comes back under no load that shouldn’t be a problem. Ever watched the volt meter when you start your car. It drops a lot as well.

My low voltage alarm goes off on my fishfinder every time I start my boat but the batteries are fine. Just a drop under a load

paulz
# Posted: 30 Oct 2019 08:06

Thanks FH. I'm familiar with lead batteries having that much voltage drop, just wasn't sure about lithium. Sounds like the voltage cutout isn't going to be much good unless I toggle around it for times of high draw.

paulz
# Posted: 9 Nov 2019 10:04

Nothing new to report on the Valence. I have been using it a couple times a week at the cabin. It shows about 13.6 volts after charging, quickly drops to 13.0 or 13.1 and just stays there. The water pump drops it down into the high 11s when it's on but it recovers right away.

I have small 110v microwave at the cabin, I wonder if I could power that if I got an inverter big enough?

FishHog
# Posted: 9 Nov 2019 10:37

Look at the microwave specs and if it draws less than 150 amps which is your battery max then yes you can with the right inverter

ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 9 Nov 2019 11:23

Quoting: paulz
this enthusiastic young man

Knew right away it was Will. He has a forum as well.

razmichael
# Posted: 9 Nov 2019 12:16

I have small 110v microwave at the cabin, I wonder if I could power that if I got an inverter big enough?

Only caution is that Microwave power labels can be confusing. the "front glossy" spec is generally the output power (cooking power) and you need to check the input requirements which can be 30-40% more. As this site explains, with other factors, the actual draw can be much higher than anticipated Microwaves so plan accordingly.

Steve_S
# Posted: 9 Nov 2019 13:14

Quite a few folks are watching the threads on Valence on Will's new site, one fellow has gotten the software to interact with the battery BMS and producing some interesting info. I pondered these for a bit as well but pulled the trigger on a 24V/400AH LifePO4 pack with built in BMS due to arrive by end of month, a tad "anxious" you might say.

paulz
# Posted: 9 Nov 2019 17:09

Quoting: FishHog
Look at the microwave specs and if it draws less than 150 amps which is your battery max then yes you can with the right inverter

Would those be the same amps it would draw on 110ac? Because the circuit breakers in my home kitchen are only 20 amp and it doesn't blow those.

I can't think of anything in my house or shop that uses 150.

ICC
# Posted: 9 Nov 2019 17:30

Would those be the same amps it would draw on 110ac?

No. What FishHog is doing is using the maximum rated discharge amperage for the battery you have to ensure battery health.

What razmichael said about picking wattage numbers off the microwave can be important too. A microwave that is advertised as 800 watts is referring to the cooking power that is available inside the chamber. The actual electrical watts consumed is going to be greater. the link to microwave info is quite useful.

paulz
# Posted: 9 Nov 2019 18:31

OK, yes that is a good link, thanks razmichael. Testing a small microwave like mine they got 1,700 watts, or 140 amps. Too close to the limit for my battery.

Thanks guys.

somewhereinusa
# Posted: 13 Nov 2019 16:11 - Edited by: somewhereinusa

I'm new here having found this thread doing a deep search for Valence, I have 6 of these in parallel (U27-12XP 12 volt 138Ah) that comes out to a usable 662Ah.
I have the software and information to make the cable to access the information from the internal BMS
I have started an information web page here. URL
I'm also working on a video about the software

paulz
# Posted: 14 Nov 2019 06:13

Very interesting. Is the software available to others?

somewhereinusa
# Posted: 14 Nov 2019 07:59

Where it says "Valence diagnostic software" is a link.

paulz
# Posted: 14 Nov 2019 09:50 - Edited by: paulz

Wow, cool, thanks! Off to find an AMP connector..

JMV
# Posted: 14 Nov 2019 13:00

Hi, does anyone know if the same hardware/software can be used with the RT series of LiPo batteries from Valence? Thanks

somewhereinusa
# Posted: 14 Nov 2019 13:43

From this web page

URL

It looks like you can.

Steve_S
# Posted: 14 Nov 2019 15:19

$1,248 Valence RT LiFeMgPO4 Battery Tear Down
3,944 views•14 Nov 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS3OAhOgzOQ

Steve_S
# Posted: 14 Nov 2019 15:20 - Edited by: Steve_S

duplicate

somewhereinusa
# Posted: 14 Nov 2019 16:35

New video, none of the ones he says is identical on alibaba have the external data cables. Agreed they look similar.

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . 9 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.