Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Valence LiBattery
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 .
paulz
# Posted: 11 Mar 2020 10:19

Been running my cabin for the day on the formally in the red battery. Going as strong as before. Good news.

Don't plan to make a habit of it!

SHACKENIT
# Posted: 11 Mar 2020 11:10

Nice! Although it's not a good idea to make over draining a habit, it is good to know for a fact the redundancy is built in and it won't hurt anything if it happens. Any idea how many amp hours you are getting out of the battery? Or do you think you are getting at least a 100 amps out of the 138? Maybe more? Good job!

paulz
# Posted: 11 Mar 2020 11:39

No idea really. If there is a meter I can get I will. Not much drain, a couple of led lights off and on. At night two tablets streaming video, she leaves hers on all night, almost 24 hrs. Phone chargers, water pump..

As you say, good to know they have some built in safety. Always willing to take one for the team.

Evang
# Posted: 11 Mar 2020 14:57

somewhereinusa
I have downloaded the valence software from your site and it is requiring .net 2.0– an ancient version which cnat be installed given i have 4.8. What have people been doing as a workaround? Thanks

somewhereinusa
# Posted: 14 Mar 2020 22:59

Don't know. Did you install all three files? That's what I had to do to get it to work.

SHACKENIT
# Posted: 17 Mar 2020 17:58

I got the AH meter off Amazon Everyone is talking about I guess. Well several videos on it: AiLi Voltmeter Ammeter Voltage Current Meter Voltmeter Ammeter 100V 350A. I paid just under $40 for the 350A version which also comes with longer com cable for display. Nice unit and easy install just take yer time and dont over torque anything. Heck of a deal compared to Victron unit for over $200! I set it to zero out from 240A so I don't totally drain the two batteries. Should run the furnace for 3 days without recharge? Ill know soon if they let me camp? Now to mount display..Anyway I recommend it..
aH_meter.jpg
aH_meter.jpg

paulz
# Posted: 18 Mar 2020 10:22

Quoting: SHACKENIT
I got the AH meter off Amazon Everyone is talking about I guess. Well several videos on it: AiLi Voltmeter Ammeter Voltage Current Meter Voltmeter Ammeter 100V 350A.

Time for me to get one too. So this is the hot poop? I'm only running 12v and probably never over 100 amps.

SHACKENIT
# Posted: 18 Mar 2020 10:31

Yup. Just get the 100A version unless you anticipate to have more batteries/Amps connected at some point...However you may have to make a longer display cable with the 100A version.. Straight forward install and lots of videos out there

SHACKENIT
# Posted: 18 Mar 2020 10:46

Picture of shunt display. The LED screen only lights up when there is a draw then when there is no draw the display screen light turns off but you can read the data all the time. It is a neat unit. I'll post data on battery cycle comparison after recharge in a few days..
shunt_display.jpg
shunt_display.jpg

somewhereinusa
# Posted: 20 Mar 2020 08:14 - Edited by: somewhereinusa

After a few months of design changes, rewiring, dead ends, etc I'm finally ready to install my battery protection in the bus for final testing. If you remember I installed some LiFePo batteries that don't have any protection, just internal cell balancing. It measures external temps and voltages, uses that data to:

Disconnect batteries from everything
Turn on/off solar controller
Turn on/off compartment cooling fan
Turn on/off battery heaters

It also keeps a data log on a memory card and sends current data via bluetooth to my phone. It has 4 temperature sensors (may add more) and 3 voltage sensors. It also has a battery powered clock to keep track of real time and uses solid state relays.

I was having trouble with dropped temperature readings that would turn relays on/off at the wrong times. I finally figured that out yesterday and got 15 hours, over 5000 data entries with NO mistakes. If all goes well with testing in the next couple of days in the bus I should be able to make final installation and get on with my life again.

Here are a few pictures.

Overall view. Not quite the final version

Wiring diagram

Data as viewed on my phone.

It's in the bus now for final testing before I hook everything up.

SHACKENIT
# Posted: 20 Mar 2020 22:19

Awesome job Somewhere! I'll take one!
Keep the updates coming

Jeremy1626
# Posted: 28 Mar 2020 13:27

Has anybody hooked up the valance batteries in series without the External bms?

Jeremy1626
# Posted: 28 Mar 2020 13:30

Here’s my setup. Looking to upgrade from 12v to 24v inverter. Was curious if anyone has put these in series?
3C9C9A9AFB8443CD9.jpeg
3C9C9A9AFB8443CD9.jpeg

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.