- Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / wireless outdoor cameras
<< 1 ... 9 . 10 . 11 . 12 . 13 . 14 . >>
SCSJeff
# Posted: 18 Feb 2021 15:18

Glad it's working for you now!

paulz
# Posted: 18 Mar 2021 13:55

Thanks Jeff. Working so well I bought a second Mico Link. This one worked right out of the box, go figure..

Man, the app is so refreshing after dealing with Moultrie's app. The reviews on Google Play tell the story, guess which is which.. Too bad because the Moultrie camera has been dead nuts reliable.

I'm now juggling around the 3 cameras for location. Probably have one at my house, even though I have wifi there always and could use a cheaper wifi link camera. Other two at the cabin.
ss.JPG
ss.JPG
sss.JPG
sss.JPG

spencerin
# Posted: 31 Mar 2021 00:57

I believe an update on my Spypoint LINK-MICRO-S-LTE is warranted now -

After 2 months of flawless performance, it stopped working. It looks like water got into the battery compartment and the battery itself. They were good about replacing the entire thing without hassle. My concern is that water shouldn't have gotten into it to begin with, so I'm expecting the problem to POSSIBLY recur on the replacement. Or maybe I just got a dud with the first one.....

FishHog
# Posted: 31 Mar 2021 07:43

there have been a number of Link micro S's that had water penetration apparently around the solar panel or under it. Seems to be an ongoing issue.

Apparently the seals they have around the panel aren't good enough or have been installed improperly. Guy's have been using a few dabs of silicone in the prone areas to solve the issue. Spypoint has been good with returns, but who wants that hassle.

I'm sure a quick google of where to seal your camera would solve your issues.

paulz
# Posted: 31 Mar 2021 10:45

I've had the Moutrie and Spypoint cameras side by side in my yard testing. Last night at 4:38 both triggered for a critter, here are the two photos.
downloaded6375277255.jpg
downloaded6375277255.jpg
spypoint.jpg
spypoint.jpg

jhp
# Posted: 31 Mar 2021 14:39 - Edited by: jhp

At first glance the Moultrie looks like the better shot.

Looking at it a little more I think I prefer the Spypoint as it's putting out way, way more light. It looks worse because it's washing out the up close image but I can see everything way in the backround.

The Moultrie doesn't even pick up the dirt pile or the trees.

Good comparison shot.

paulz
# Posted: 31 Mar 2021 15:12

I guess it depends. If it were a person, which is my real focus, the Moutrie might show more detail, at that distance, but back further might pick up noting. The Spypoint goes all the way to my fence and gate. Car headlights they both pick up equally all the way at the gate. Here's what a day shot looks like.

There may be adjustments, don't know.
spypoint_1.jpg
spypoint_1.jpg

FishHog
# Posted: 31 Mar 2021 16:06

I assume those are the low definition pics that they send to your phone. You can still get the high def version by request or off your camera if you really need better detail.

spencerin
# Posted: 6 May 2021 22:06

Another update on my Spypoint LINK-MICRO-S-LTE -

The replacement stopped working also after a month. My guess is the exact same thing happened, but I'll find out more this weekend. I'll ask them to replace it with the non-solar version but with the solar add-on (different setup), just the non-solar version itself, or ask for a full refund. Disappointed in that when it worked it was good.

paulz
# Posted: 6 May 2021 23:08 - Edited by: paulz

I just got a replacement Link Micro (not solar) today. The original one I bought that was giving me trouble quit for good. I had bought it used on Ebay, advertised as working fine (my other one I bought new). After a couple of sessions with their online chat the guy said he was replacing it. Surprised me, no warranty card, no receipt, just asked for my address and sent it out. I guess since they have the serial number on the account they knew it was still on warranty. Plus their profit probably comes from the monthly plan. Pretty happy with Spypoint support, always seem to be there and the app works flawlessly.

Brettny
# Posted: 7 May 2021 06:11

Spencer how are you attaching the camera to a tree? Seams odd that two cameras both have the same issue. Could the body be getting tweaked and allowing water to get in?

My spy point micro has made it through a fall, winter and most of spring. I use the 1/4-20 threaded mount in the bottom to hold it. I find the straps make all trail cameras a total pain in the ass to aim much less keep aimed at the same spot.

I actualy just got a spypoint solar micro yesterday. It came with the rechargable battery and a security box, $140.

paulz
# Posted: 18 May 2021 11:05

I'm starting to wonder how sensitive the Link Micro is to voltage, specifically over 12v. The 12v li-on battery I have is of course near 14v charged. I got on a chat with 'Jaskaran' at Spypoint and asked. He (or she) said "lithium is not 12v". Thanks for asking..

Spypoint does sell a lithium battery that replaces the 8 AA battery pack inside the camera, but it says it's 3.7v?

https://www.spypoint.com/en/products/rechargeable-lithium-battery-pack/product-lit-10 .html

ICC
# Posted: 18 May 2021 11:39

Quoting: paulz
Spypoint does sell a lithium battery that replaces the 8 AA battery pack inside the camera, but it says it's 3.7v?

Your Valence battery uses LFP cells, parallel/series configuration to supply a nominal 12 volts. An individual cell has a nominal voltage of 3.2 volts. Some of the cells being in series is why a BMS is required for use.

The cells used in that Spypoint battery would be a lithium-ion type. Those have nominal voltages of 3.6 to 3.7 depending on the manufacturer. The same cell could be rated at 3.6 volts by one seller and another seller at 3.7 volts. It would appear the li-ion cells in that battery are all connected in parallel. That way they avoid the need for a BMS.

Without having my hands on a Spypoint or looking through literature I do not know for certain how the AA cells are connected when inserted into the Spypoint. It could be all in series or a series/parallel combination. Because the AA are not rechaarged in the unit a BMS is not required at all.

The Spypoint can also be powered with an external 12 VDC supply according to the specs.

I am guessing the Spypoint devices are internally equipped with circuitry that sorts it all out depending what is connected where. Inserting their li-ion battery could activate a switch or something. (I have devices that can sense when a rechargable pack is inserted and enables the built in charger for example. That prevents inadvertent charging of batteries that are not rechargable.) And the 12 VDC could be internally converted to some lesser voltage.

paulz
# Posted: 18 May 2021 12:14 - Edited by: paulz

Thanks ICC. Actually I haven't hooked it to my Valence batteries yet, I've been testing various location on my land using a 12v universal li-ion battery.

Interesting about the cell voltage differences, How do the 3.6-7 cells add up to a 12v pack?

The AA battery rack that the Spypoint 3.7 battery replaces has, strangely, 4 terminals compared to only 2 on the 3.7. I have measured them, each pair hooks to 4 of the 8 AAs, for somewhere around 6v.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG
asdf.JPG
asdf.JPG
hrt.JPG
hrt.JPG

ICC
# Posted: 18 May 2021 13:17

Interesting about the cell voltage differences, How do the 3.6-7 cells add up to a 12v pack?

They don't. I don't think they can without some internal voltage control circuitry. I believe any of the manufactured batteries that are sold as 12-volt batteries or multiples of 12 will be found to be using LFP based cells.

The image (capture.jpg) of the battery spec sheet is an LFP battery. An LFP (3.2 volt) cell is technically a lithium ion type but many people prefer to just call an LFP an LFP, skipping the lithium-ion, or li-ion nomenclature, reserving li-ion for the other lithium chemistries that are rated at 3.6 or 3.7 volts.

I probably should not use the term li-ion to mean the chemistries with 3.6 or 3.7 volts per cell.

paulz
# Posted: 18 May 2021 15:18

Ha, you're right, I never noticed the Lifepo4 in the spec sheet. Well I guess that's good news for me, safer battery. It's been a handy little carry around battery, lighter than a comparative LA and no need to worry about corrosion or deep discharge.

spencerin
# Posted: 18 May 2021 21:39

Brettny, I'm attaching it with the strap wrapped around a power pole, and I can position it without issue. Spypoint said, when they shipped me my 2nd replacement, that they had a manufacturer's defect in units made in December that they've since fixed, and I got my initial unit in December, and I'm going to assume the 1st replacement I got in March was made around the same time. Hopefully this new one works - should get it set up this month or next.

FishHog
# Posted: 19 May 2021 07:37

Unfortunately there has been a large number of water intrusion issues on the micro solar cameras. But they are sending out replacements with no issues

Hopefully they did fix the issue but many have just added a little silicone to the leaking spot for insurance. Not that you should have to do that but if getting a replacement causes you downtime it might be worth it for you

Brettny
# Posted: 19 May 2021 09:52

I just setup my solar micro this weekend. I guess we will see about the water getting in.

To the rechargable battery thing. Just pay the money and get the spypoint battery they sell. I'm getting about 4-5 months out of $13 worth of Energizer AA lithium batteries. So under 2yrs and the lithium rechargeable pack is paid for. Not to mention you can recharge it every few months and know you will have a working camera vs changing $13 worth of throw away batteries early.

I'm buying the solar spypoint cameras from now on though. In the end it comes out to the same money on buying the pack separate and a non solar spypoint.

paulz
# Posted: 19 May 2021 10:17

Since my cameras are located at my shop and cabin I'd rather just use the 12v jack provided, connected to the solar battery banks.

My second Link Micro quit transmitting last week. Several reviews on Amazon commenting on this. They are replacing that one too, they do seem really good about it, maybe there was a bad run of them too? But I'm concerned that maybe using the 12v jack off my solar might be the culprit. I have several other 12v devices that run off it though, including the Moultrie camera and have no issues.

ICC
# Posted: 19 May 2021 20:57

I never noticed the Lifepo4 in the spec sheet. Well I guess that's good news for me, safer battery. It's been a handy little carry around battery, lighter than a comparative LA and no need to worry about corrosion or deep discharge.

I had meant to add a comment to this and forgot.

The "deep discharge" comment could be worrisome, depending on what is being considered to be deep discharge. Lithium cells should not be discharged below 2.5 volts. That is way beyond where most folks will go. If the assembled battery has a good BMS that should not allow the voltage to be dropped to such a low level. But, if there is no protection a lithium cell or battery can be ruined by such really deep discharges. Just some FYI.

spencerin
# Posted: 19 May 2021 21:04

I don't know where to silicone the camera in order to prevent water intrusion. Anybody know?

FishHog
# Posted: 20 May 2021 08:20

Take out the 4 screws on the back of the solar panel and seal where the wires enter the camera
706254C2E0254CEB8.png
706254C2E0254CEB8.png

paulz
# Posted: 20 May 2021 11:26 - Edited by: paulz

Quoting: ICC
The "deep discharge" comment could be worrisome, depending on what is being considered to be deep discharge. Lithium cells should not be discharged below 2.5 volts.

Point taken thanks. This particular battery does have BMS but no idea at what voltage it would shut itself down. So I guess cell phones and laptop have similar protection, when they say they are at 0% they are still above damage potential.

Back to cameras: Yesterday I set up a Link Micro at the house before I left. It took 100 photos of sunlight changes, maxed out my plan, and I'm faced with that again today (I already have it set to Low Sensitivity). I see in the advanced configuration I can set up 'period of operation' of hours/days. So will this stop the camera from taking pictures or just stop them from being transmitted? And there is no way to just power the camera off remotely, right?

FishHog
# Posted: 20 May 2021 20:37

It will stop it from taking pictures Paul. I do the same for a few hours of afternoon sunny periods. Can’t really fault the camera for those pictures as it sure looks like a change in motion when I go from picture to picture

I guess an infrared sensor would compensate for that but I don’t know of any trail cameras with that option yet

Brettny
# Posted: 21 May 2021 11:43

Is the camera facing the sun? I have had some false triggers but think there more branches blowing and not the sun. Some quick moving clouds could make shadows come and go though. Maybe angle the camera up off the ground a bit.

paulz
# Posted: 21 May 2021 11:56

Thanks Fish, sounds like a plan. Brett, not in direct sunlight. I have been moving it around (this is at my city house, for security) while testing. I had it in front of a bush by the sidewalk pointing down the driveway, no false triggers but it was only catching the back side of the mailman. So I put it by the door pointing out towards the street. Cars may trigger it but that's 75-100' away. Think I just need to play with it.

paulz
# Posted: 16 Jun 2021 18:32

So the other day I got the bright idea that, instead of popping open and turning off the Moultrie every time I'm around and getting my picture taken, I'd just cover it with a black bag. Guess what I got? 50 pictures of the inside of a black blag.

Well, that didn't work.
20210616_100102.jpg
20210616_100102.jpg
downloaded6375945415.jpg
downloaded6375945415.jpg

SCSJeff
# Posted: 16 Jun 2021 18:38

paulz,

That happened to me too

FishHog
# Posted: 16 Jun 2021 18:47

too see though and the light changing triggered pics still. Something more opaque should work for that.

<< 1 ... 9 . 10 . 11 . 12 . 13 . 14 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.