Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Share Your Outhouse Pics
. 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . 9 . 10 . >>
hattie
# Posted: 9 Feb 2011 23:59

Where, other than a place like this, would people be able to share their outhouse pictures. *S* I've seen some pretty impressive outhouses, so let's put them all together into one thread. Here's our modest outhouse from the camp. It was actually already there, we just painted it and put up the sign. I also lined the base of it to keep the pack rats out.
Outhouse.JPG
Outhouse.JPG

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 10 Feb 2011 08:51

the ole OSB..shi@@er............the new coat of paint and the sign made it look nice.

bugs
# Posted: 10 Feb 2011 09:00

Here is our 3 piece.

We have a peaceful view of our pond through the trees. We regularly see vultures and eagles slowly gaining height in the morning. Or we see flocks of geese coming into land on the water.

We have put up a bird house just outside the door. The out house works great as a camera blind too.
3 piece bathroom
3 piece bathroom
wren house
wren house

cman47c
# Posted: 10 Feb 2011 09:35

Just a simple structure inspired by Cabinbuilder.
alaska_007.jpg
alaska_007.jpg

fpw
# Posted: 10 Feb 2011 10:04

Outhouse at the Stump Ranch (www.peelinglogs.blogspot.com)]

Jon
Open Air Outhouse
Open Air Outhouse
The reason my wife decided the outhouse will get closed in.
The reason my wife decided the outhouse will get closed in.

steveqvs
# Posted: 10 Feb 2011 10:45

Well I built mine with scrap wood and hope to replace it this year with something better built. But I am a computer guy not really a carpenter......
BRouthouse.jpg
BRouthouse.jpg

hattie
# Posted: 10 Feb 2011 12:10

fpw - That is hilarious!!! Kinda cold on the tushy in the winter. I agree with your wife that it would be a good idea to close it in.

bugs - beautiful photo of the wren! That is a really nice set-up for your outdoor bathroom.

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 10 Feb 2011 12:43

Very simple. I used 3x4' plastic skid as a base.
Small Cabin Outhouse
Small Cabin Outhouse
Outhouse Inside
Outhouse Inside

bugs
# Posted: 10 Feb 2011 18:28

steveqvs

Great attempt for a noncarpenter. I like the use of recycled rustic wood. Hope you still have all your digits!!! I sympathize with you. My carpenter skills are extremely limited as well. I always thank the deity of choice when I finish using a bladed power tool and still have the same number of appendages that I started with.

I am in awe of these people on the forum who put together solid structures with seemingly not a care in the world and often no plans but a vision in their head.

The outhouse I built, after cabinbuilder's design +/- had its roof changed twice after I got the whole friggin thing put together. There were a few tense moments to be sure. Glad I sucked it up and got a pro to build our shed. I would have still been cutting and pasting if I had done it myself.

Look forward to seeing your next model.

bugs

bushbunkie
# Posted: 10 Feb 2011 19:54

I built mine in the driveway over a long weekend and hauled it up in parts in my buddy's landscaping trailer.
For those of my neighbors who only suspected I was crazy had all suspicions confirmed...esp. when I sat in the loo in my driveway with a beer celebrating project completion!
outhouse
outhouse
sink
sink
indoor view from the "seat"
indoor view from the "seat"
outhouse
outhouse

bushbunkie
# Posted: 10 Feb 2011 20:00

P.s. CabinBuilder,
Thanks again for hosting this site....love it!

hattie
# Posted: 10 Feb 2011 20:06

Quoting: bushbunkie
For those of my neighbors who only suspected I was crazy had all suspicions confirmed...esp. when I sat in the loo in my driveway with a beer celebrating project completion!

*ROTFL* Now you should'a got pictures of that too. *LOL* I absolutely LOVE this outhouse. It is just too cute!!!

islandguy
# Posted: 10 Feb 2011 21:08

yeah the flowerbox was a nice touch. A rose by any other name...

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 11 Feb 2011 08:28

bushbunkie-----nice outhouse..........and good view from the seat too!!!!!

larryh
# Posted: 11 Feb 2011 09:12

I actually have two outhouses. Before that I had one that I had to tear down for some construction. The more common one is the pit privy type. The second with the Ventilator top is a Pail privy and I got it from a book called "The Vanishing Outhouse". Its a sanitary design from the thirties from a government hand book. I built it before the pit one and never used it because it used a standard pail and I didn't like digging a hole to bury the contents in. Now that I am using a Sawdust potty in the house some of the time I can see that the concept of the Pail Privy would be perfect for that purpose next spring when I can spruce it up. Currently I have it full of garden tools. Its more roomy than the Conservation Core type slant roof privy and features a long interior vent and a bench seat that raises for cleaning and removing the bucket. It also has a rear door that swings up to open the lower seat portion of the toilet if you wish to remove the content bucket that way. A very cool looking outhouse but not real simple to build. I have plans for it here from the book still. I am thinking of moving it nearer the house as the sawdust potty type unit produces no odor. I need to build my composting bins so that I can get that system really working. That will be my first major goal for early spring when these zero weather days are behind us.
Conservation type late 30s' design.
Conservation type late 30s' design.
Pail privy sanitary design, converting to sawdust  potty soon.
Pail privy sanitary design, converting to sawdust potty soon.

fpw
# Posted: 11 Feb 2011 17:40

After the wife set me straight in regards to a proper outhouse. She has this thing about walls.
Stump Ranch Outhouse - Redesigned based on orders from the boss!
Stump Ranch Outhouse - Redesigned based on orders from the boss!
update
update

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 11 Feb 2011 17:42

Quoting: fpw
She has this thing about walls.

But no door is ok?

fpw
# Posted: 11 Feb 2011 19:08

MikeOnBike,

On no. I have some pretty specific marching orders in regards to a door and a stained glass insert that will be installed at some point in the very near future.

Actually, now that the cabin is mostly done, she likes hanging out there with me. Even with the 1/2 done outhouse and solar shower.

bushbunkie
# Posted: 12 Feb 2011 09:39

bushbunkie-----nice outhouse..........and good view from the seat too!!!!!

Thanks Hattie, island guy, turkeyhunter....I'm the grunt...my wife makes it pretty!
OK FPW...stainedglass?? She's a spoiled girl! :)

Anonymous
# Posted: 12 Feb 2011 21:07

I want a simple cabin but it must have a bathroom with indoor plumbing. I remember my childhood days of using an outhouse.... I have explained all this to my husband. He's worried about a "heat pump". I just want an indoor bathroom.....

larryh
# Posted: 13 Feb 2011 09:53

You might consider the sawdust potty type set up. I have had to replace my inside plumbing with it and once you get it in operation and get used to how it works it sure could save a lot of money and water. Don't know if you've ever read any of the Human-manure Handbook, but it has a pretty strong argument for there use which until read them I was pretty leery of. There is no odor and once you have an established composting system for disposing of the "buckets" you have a fairly simple to use and cheap alternative to indoor plumbing or outhouses.

project_north
# Posted: 13 Feb 2011 11:30

Here is my "boreal biffie".

The red door is supposed to be the colour of Maple Leaves in fall. I put in a mini skylite that was a demo model from a hardware store.
The toilet cone is a molded fibreglass model from the Yukon. You can order one here:
http://www.farnorthfiberglass.com/cones.html
I still have to install the stink pipe (it needs it), and paint the outside.
boreal_biffie
boreal_biffie
boreal_biffie2
boreal_biffie2
boreal_biffie3
boreal_biffie3

bushbunkie
# Posted: 13 Feb 2011 21:34

Project North...great job!!...even trimmed up the inside with tongue / groove pine?

bushbunkie
# Posted: 13 Feb 2011 21:41

Quoting: larryh
Don't know if you've ever read any of the Human-manure Handbook, but it has a pretty strong argument for there use which

Hey larryh,
Good advice. We built a "luvable loo" off their website specs and are using peat moss to compost using the humanure concept. Very impressed with the lack of odour...even my wife likes it!
luvable loo
luvable loo

project_north
# Posted: 14 Feb 2011 15:16

Thx Bushbunkie. I was hoping to lure some of my citified friends by providing the maximum comfort possible.

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 14 Feb 2011 16:03

Bushbunkie,

Is your loo not tall enough for the bucket or was the loo/bucket just too close to the floor for comfort.

bushbunkie
# Posted: 14 Feb 2011 18:50

Mike,
That was the first day it was in...we were experimenting with height...my wife thought she sat a little low.
Solution...got a nice patio stone and the "loo" and bucket sits on top of it perfectly....toilet seat closes completely flat to the wood, etc.
Raises the loo a couple of inches....your feet are still on the floor...height is perfect for looking out the window while you're..yah know!

bushbunkie
# Posted: 14 Feb 2011 18:53

Good plan...being able tp poop and pee in comfortable surroundings seems to be high on the list of my friends as well!

bushbunkie
# Posted: 14 Feb 2011 18:54

oops...sorry...last comment for Project North (above) !

steveqvs
# Posted: 15 Feb 2011 13:19

Only on this site would we all delight in each others outhouse's! We are a sick bunch! And like a snowflake no two are exactly alike!

Thanks for the above comments Bugs! Yes I thank the great one when I use power tools and hammers too!

. 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . 9 . 10 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.