Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Share Your Outhouse Pics
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . 9 . 10 . >>
toddheyn
# Posted: 30 Aug 2011 06:33

We just got back from spending two weeks at our cabin in Northern NYS. The main project for this trip was the installation of our outhouse/shower. Hope you enjoy the photos:

SEOhio
# Posted: 6 Sep 2011 10:22

Our ancient porta-potti

dvgchef
# Posted: 6 Sep 2011 18:31

Very nice!

SE Ohio
# Posted: 8 Sep 2011 12:39

This is our ancient "outhouse", an old fiberglas pott of 70's vintage. I've toyed with painting it up to look like a phone booth or a submarine conning tower.
70s Porta John
70s Porta John

polarbeach
# Posted: 8 Sep 2011 21:27

Instead of a compost toilet couldnt one just install a toilet that flushes into a make shift septic system or compost system. One could have a water capture system from the roof connected to a valve which is turned manually or just poor water into the tank from a bucket as needed ? Any thoughs ? awesome website !

PlicketyCat
# Posted: 9 Sep 2011 07:57

Septic systems are a little tricky. You need enough water to keep them working, but not too much; and enough soil perc, but not too much; and they need to be sized properly for the usage. Get any of those wrong and you can end up with a non-functioning system or an even worse sanitation hazard.

Flushing a composting toilet with water would cause problems unless you lived somewhere really arid. Too much water in the chamber could lead to anaerobic conditions, which is the opposite of composting. Composting needs lots of air to be effective.

Really, the sawdust bucket isn't as horrific as you'd think. Instead of flushing after a deposit, you just sprinkle a scoop of the cover material. Dumping the bucket isn't any worse than cleaning a litter pan or mucking a stable since it's at least half bulky fill material anyway, especially if you don't urinate much in the bucket. Then use rain & gray water and a toilet brush to rinse out the empties.

RobMan
# Posted: 9 Sep 2011 12:30

Wow, the lovable loo on page 1 is awesome! I'd call that a luxury outhouse for sure!

PlicketyCat
# Posted: 9 Sep 2011 13:56

Here's a bit of outhouse trivia that could save you some embarrassing moments:

Moon = Ladies'
Star = Gents'
Moon + Star = Unisex

Scott_T
# Posted: 9 Sep 2011 15:04 - Edited by: Scott_T

Quoting: RobMan
Wow, the lovable loo on page 1 is awesome! I'd call that a luxury outhouse for sure!

Here is the lovable loo that I built and put in outhouse shown on page 3 of thread. aka "Scuppernong Loo"

"Scuppernong loo"

hattie
# Posted: 9 Sep 2011 23:14

Quoting: PlicketyCat
Here's a bit of outhouse trivia that could save you some embarrassing moments:Moon = Ladies'Star = Gents'Moon + Star = Unisex

WOW....I had no idea....I just figured all outhouses were unisex. Ya learn something new every day. *LOL* Thanks for the information PlicketyCat!!!

jjlrrw
# Posted: 14 Sep 2011 14:30

There are some nice ones!!!

No pictures of mine but it was made from a 4'x4' hunting blind, I dug a pit, place a floor over it, purchased a cheap flush toilet, mounted a 55gal barrel on a stand and capture rain water from the roof and use it to flush.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 16 Sep 2011 18:12

Quoting: PlicketyCat
Here's a bit of outhouse trivia that could save you some embarrassing moments:Moon = Ladies'Star = Gents'Moon + Star = Unisex

I seen a bathroom by the ocean, it was labled "Buoys" and "Gulls"

I thought that was kinda cute.

Good info P/C, I will use a sharpie marker on mine and draw in a moon and star. Wait, I have the latch and it turns red on ther outside and reads occupied. :D

PlicketyCat
# Posted: 16 Sep 2011 19:08

I'm less concerned about a walk-in than the "sprinkle when you tinkle" issue. Nothing is more unsavory than sitting down in a cold puddle, or nearly falling through the hole!, when you go out to use it at night.

There's a general level of care/cleanliness difference between women's and men's facilities... which is why most of the old outhouses we still see around are the ones with moons on them ;)

Of course, there's the whole monthly issue with women that can be a serious "ick" factor for males who share the same facility.

cabin_pal
# Posted: 17 Sep 2011 21:08 - Edited by: cabin_pal

Nothing really to write home about.... this outhouse pre-existed when I bought my land 6 years ago. For the amount of time I spend up there (5-6 visits of 3-4 days each year), it serves me just fine.

Rustic, with a nice view from the unglazed picture window, too.

(To live on the property year-round, I would of course build a more civilized privy for all-season use.)
cabin31.jpg
cabin31.jpg

raisadan
# Posted: 21 Sep 2011 05:26

Here's our out house at our log house building site. We had some guys FromTajikistan dig a 7' hole, 1 years wide. Inside the hole are stacked 2 very large concrete rings that line the entire hole. At ground level a small concrete pad is poured, then 2 runs of red brick. The out house sits on top of this. Here, they don't put any dirty toilet paper down the hole but put it in a metal can and burn it later. In a few years someone (not me) digs everything out and hauls it away. That's how they do it here.Really. Cheers! Oh, BTW, hoes anyone have a sit-down type toilet....ours is a squat type and I fear I will fall down there..arrrrrrg!

Bevis
# Posted: 21 Sep 2011 10:24

My outhouse was original to my site, kinda like cabin_pal above, But the roof was an old car hood and on the door was an Impala fender molding. So we always called it the Impala.

cabin_pal
# Posted: 22 Sep 2011 04:50

A very fun book to consult for history, design ideas, and even construction plans for outhouses is The Vanishing American Outhouse, by Ronald S. Barlow. The color photos alone are wonderful!

I can't imagine anyone interested in outhouses not finding great delight in this book.

Here's the link to it on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Vanishing-American-Outhouse-History-Plumbing/dp/B0000646QM/ref= sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1316680543&sr=1-2

raisadan
# Posted: 22 Sep 2011 09:43

Here's our little privvy at our log house in Visokaya Gora,Russia. I came here 3 years ago from Washington State. My wife and I decided to build a log house in the country side near the city of Kazan. anyway o ur outhouse has a hole a yard wide by 8 feet deep..it's lines with 3 very large concrete stacked rings (yep, that'sreally how they do it here)...the outhouse itself sits on 2 runs of red brick on top of a concrete pad. It's a squat type, which I'm afraid I'll fall into some day..BTW anybody know where I can get on eof those toilet pedistals or cones....I saw one vender in Canada but they wanted 265 bucks !Taker Ez !
There it is in all of it's glory !
There it is in all of it's glory !
My Dear wife Raisa painting the inside
My Dear wife Raisa painting the inside
Self Explanatory
Self Explanatory
Lowering the concrete rings....
Lowering the concrete rings....

raisadan
# Posted: 22 Sep 2011 09:51

We had 2 guys from Tajikistan dig the 1x3 meter hole.....it took them all day in this hard clay soil. they are really hard workers, very friendly and it set me back about 14 bucks !

There a "service" read a guy with a shovel and a bucket that will come and clean it our every 2-3 years. Dirty TP is not put down the hole but in a metal bucket and later burned.

raisadan
# Posted: 22 Sep 2011 09:52

Hi,
Where did you get the toilet pedestal/cone? I need one.
Thanks,
Dan

cabin-pal
# Posted: 9 Oct 2011 01:31

raisadan,

Here's a toilet pedestal which is mentioned in J. Wayne Fears' excellent book, How To Build Your Dream Cabin in the Woods, under Chapter 10, The World's Best Outhouse.

The pedestal manufacturer is Zeebest Plastics of Alberta, Canada. Check-out these links:

http://www.zeebest.com/

http://zeebest.com.s22860.gridserver.com/update/img/pdf/PTS%20-%20PRIVY%20TOILET.pdf

There's also a very interesting "Garden Throne" also offered by this company, linked here:

http://zeebest.com.s22860.gridserver.com/update/img/pdf/PTL_GARDENTHRONE.pdf

Mr. Fears actually references a stainless steel toilet pedestal in his book, but I don't see it posted now on Zeebest's website. Might be worth contacting them for additional information.

Wishing you comfortable squatting in your privy!

montanakat
# Posted: 15 Oct 2011 12:52

this is our new outhouse that my husband calls the morninghouse. I had built an 8x8 shed like this out of landscaping timbers and he decided that if I could build one of these he should build one for his new outhouse due to the old one tilting very very badly. He elevated a black barrel on the back of the outhouse for running water and I built him a luvable loo sawdust toilet. My son and his wife gave us their old front door (which they both had no idea it was going to be used for this new outhouse and quite a funny reaction from them when they saw where it had been used!). Oh---it is even carpeted!
new "morninghouse"
new "morninghouse"
pic #2
pic #2
pic #3
pic #3
pic #4
pic #4

montanakat
# Posted: 15 Oct 2011 13:03

here's the pic of the old outhouse and I am sure ya can see why a new one was needed badly----LOL second pic shows where it landed when we just pulled on it a little bit!
our_old_morning_hous.jpg
our_old_morning_hous.jpg
DSC04563.JPG
DSC04563.JPG

cabin-pal
# Posted: 15 Oct 2011 16:52

montanakat,

Your old outhouse had its charms, but the new one is much more substantial. The generous roof-overhangs should make it a more-or-less lifetime building. Good work! The water barrel on its own stand also takes undesirable forces off the main structure, itself. My favorite feature of this project, though, is using the antique radio as a base for your lavatory. I might have to duplicate that concept in my next outhouse or cabin bathroom, down the road. (And what a pretty setting, as seen in the photo with the new water tank arrangement!)

montanakat
# Posted: 15 Oct 2011 17:48

A friend of ours over in Spokane was getting rid of some of his old radio and television cabinets and I jumped at the chance to get them all.I am the sort who will use any old wood item for something to keep it useful. The middle front had nothing within the hole there so I added some fabric I had on hand to fill in the space. We live on top of a mountain and this view is seen from all angles of our home that has taken us nine years to build by ourselves.Thank you for noticing the old radio cabinet,not many people notice it cept to say how neat the sink area looks. It was fun building my landscape timber shed and my husband loved every minute of building his-----I got to decorate the inside this time around---LOL

hattie
# Posted: 15 Oct 2011 23:39

montanakat....Well I can see why you replaced the old outhouse. That looked pretty scary! *S*

That is really clever to use the radio cabinet for a sink base. I didn't realize that is what it was until I read cabin-pal's post.

That is one fancy schmancy outhouse I must say. But...geez.....who forgot to put the toilet paper on the roll? Glad it doesn't just happen at my house. *LOL*

montanakat
# Posted: 16 Oct 2011 10:28

this is my husbands outhouse and he was the one responsible for the missing toilet paper---LOL ! I prefer my indoor composting toilet to the long walk up the hill to the morninghouse,especially at night.

Scott_T
# Posted: 17 Oct 2011 22:51

Update: I was able to visit the land a week ago. The outhouse made it through Hurricane Irene intact! Flooding was the main issue for the area but it was able to sustain winds of ~60 mph (sheltered by the trees).
scuppernong loo
scuppernong loo

trollbridge
# Posted: 17 Oct 2011 23:40

Scott_T-
Glad it made it through the fury of Irene!

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 20 Oct 2011 21:33

saw a load of outhouses on the pike today, thought about the forum...............L-)
one even had toilet paper flying in the wind!!!!!!!

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . 9 . 10 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.